Ruger #1 RSI .243 / 7x57?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by liam_g, Dec 5, 2005.

1. liam_g

liam_g

Hello, all,

I haven't posted here on Glocktalk for ages, and never posted in the hunting section much before, but thought I'd get your advice. I'm interested in a Ruger #1 RSI in either .243 or 7x57 for hunting whitetails back home in Kentucky. I plan on using an aperture rear sight instead of a scope, as most of the shots will be close range brush, but with the occasional shot at around 200 yards. I've always been very comfortable with peep sights out to that range (and farther with the m16 qualification course out to 300 meters back when I was in the army).

Anyway, I know that people have mixed experiences with the #1, although I've heard that the accuracy has been better lately, although the trigger is still hit or miss. I'm willing to have some work done on the rifle to correct any problems, and am satisfied with around 2 MOA scoped for this gun (i.e., if it will shoot into 2" at 100 yards with a scope, I believe I can probably hold it to around 3" at the same range with the peep sight, which is good enough hunting accuracy in my book).

I'm thinking about the .243 or the 7x57 calibers for a couple of reasons. First, the deer aren't too big, and this gun is specifically for these critters, and possibly the stray coyote now and then. I don't see the need for a larger caliber for this ... any differing opinions there? Second, I have a baby daughter who I hope will grow up to be one of those rare women who enjoy firearms and hunting. If she does end up leaning in her dad's direction, I think a .243 or 7x57 single-shot would be a great first deer rifle.

Okay, I've rambled on for far too long ... any opinions, counter-advice, or advice about Ruger #1's in general?

Thanks y'all!!

2. noway

noway

I have no comment but I'm also looking at that same model in .243win as a next gun purchase. I like the scope base and such but the thing I don't like is the barrel length being 20". I perfer 22 or 24.

So I would like to hear you opinions after you buy one.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Winchester made a new run of the 1885 high-wall in more modern chamberings. Browning 1885's both hi-wall and low-wall, better than the Winchester offering IMHO, though discontinued can still be found in a variety of good chamberings. I prefer that action design to the No. 1 in most cases.

I think your ideas are right on. I would lean towards the 7x57 myself, because... well just 'cause. :) Either one fits the bill fine and would be a nice package in the future to pass on to your daughter.

I have a thing for falling blocks. A falling block of any design is a classy machine.

4. liam_g

liam_g

Personally, I like that 20" length, which will make for an extremely compact rifle. If you're not hung up on the Mannlicher stock, the #1a light sporter is available with a 22" barrel ... I really like that one as well ...

5. liam_g

liam_g

I like the 1885, but I really like the unorthodox thing Ruger has done with the #1 by adding full ejection into the mix. I know, I know ... if I'm concerned about fast reloads, I should be looking at bolt or lever guns, etc. But I like the ejection thing, making it just a bit easier to reload while watching a deer run off after being hit, for example.

Agreed ... they're among the most beautiful weapons ever made, imho. Thanks for your insights!

6. akbound

akbound

Not long ago I acquired a stainless No.1 chambered for .45-70 Govt. The only opportunity I had to take it to the range was a particularly nasty day here recently. It still managed sub 2" groups at 100 yards with a 2x7 Leupold scope firing Winchester's 300 JHP factory ammo.

I'm looking forward to taking it out again under nicer conditions to see what it is capable of on a nice day and using other loads. I think the No.1's are one of the classiest rifles available in an American factory offering.

The RSI or Light Sporter in 7x57 are most decidely on my list of future acquisitions. I happen to agree it would make a wonderful whitetail rifle, (probably any other species of North American game as well)!

Best of luck with your decision!

Dave

7. akbound

akbound

8. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Man - that's a tough questions. Both .243 and 7x57 are great. I'd lean to the 7x57 myself. Just personal preference in a Ruger #1.

That said, I have a couple of .243's(pre-64 M70 featherweight, pre-64 M100, and Sako lever).

I don't have a single 7x57. I do, however, have a Ruger M77 in 6mm Rem - sort of a combination of the .243 (24 caliber) in a 7x57 case. It's a real deer slayer... You might consider a 6mm (if Ruger still chambers it). This would make your decision really interesting...

I don't have any proof of this, but I think the 6mm is more accurate than the.243. I say this because I see many target rifles chambered in 6mm Rem. I see very few in the .243. I think that for the shooting you defined, any one of the three would be fine. I vote the 7X57. It seems the 7x57 (like the 6.5 Swede) kills way beyond its ballistics. Some calibers just do that - go figure.

Let us know what you decide.

9. liam_g

liam_g

Thanks for the replies! I ordered a #1 RSI in 7x57, and will have it by mid-January! Can't wait ...

A guy over on the 24HourCampfire forums had one just like this, with the NECG peep sight like I'm going to install ... I'm attaching a pic of his that I downloaded to look at until my own arrives.

[​IMG]

Can't wait to get it. In addition to using it back home on my brother-in-law's hunting property in Kentucky, I've found a hunting buddy up here in western WA where I live now. I haven't hunted in years, but can't wait to try this out next fall ...

I'll post pics of the actual gun when I get it!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas everyone!

10. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

You better post pictures! Better than pinup girls if you ask me. ;f

11. paynter2

That really is a sweet combination. We definitly need pictures when you get them...

I've been thinking of getting a Mannlicher over the years. A Czech rifle maker (Cz Arms) makes a beauty. I think if I got one it would be in 7X57. Some guns just have to chambered in classic calibers...

Here's a link to CZ Arms. I don't see a Mannlicher in medium calibers. However, they used to make one and I'll be that it's still available in Europe...

http://www.cz-usa.com/01.03.php

12. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

The 550 model comes in mid-bore calibers.

9.3x62
    .30-06
    .270 Win
    6.5x55
    .308 Win
    .243 Win

They are damn fine looking rifles.

13. akbound

akbound

Hi paynter2,

Here is the link:

http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=17

It doesn't read as available in 7x57 but in my book the 6.5x55 and 9.3x62 are classic calibers in every sense of the word. To top it off the 6.5x55 would likely do everything the 7x57 would do, with slightly less recoil, and is nearly as available. Just a thought.....;)

Dave

14. paynter2

Thanks for the link AK - I agree, the 6.5 Swede would suit my purposes just fine... If I get one, I'll put a peep sight on it. Without a scope, I don't need 250yd capability...

They really are nice looking rifles...

15. liam_g

liam_g

Got the #1 RSI 7x57 yesterday, finally! It was worth the wait: beautiful buttstock, and a great trigger out of the box!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have to wait until next Saturday to shoot it! Darn!

Regards,

Liam

16. akbound

akbound

Hi Liam,

Great looking rifle! Without a doubt one of the classiest sporting rifles available.

Dave

P.S. Don't forget to post a range report.

17. vafish

vafish

That is a purty rifle!

Hope is shoots as good as it looks.

18. noway

noway

Give us a range report after you shoot it and if you don't mind tell us how much did you pay and where did you get it from ;)

19. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Nice rifle - now on to the more important stuff...........

Regardless of what you are shooting with and what you are shooting at, the times you spent with your daughter (or in my case children) in the field will be the best days of your life.

My daughter is 10 and she handles and shoot firearms better than most grown men that I know. I haven't taken her "hunting" per say but we've made dozens of trips to the field just shooting.

In the past year, I have been really priming her (and my 6 yr old son) to go hunting whenever I have the chance. I just about have her mentally where I think she needs to be. You don't want to rush this stage you'll know when she is ready. At this point, I let them shoot/handle BB guns and real firearms at every opportunity. I let them tag along with me on scouting trips (I'd call them more mock hunting trips). I bring them out with me predator hunting when I can(haven't had too much luck with them on this tho). Show them pictures of my harvests. Let them watch while I dress/clean small game and birds. I try to get them involved in whatever hunting show or magazine that I am reading. Her interests to some extent are largely up to you. If she respects you and you ease her into hunting properly, you'll have the best hunting partners in your children that you could dream of.

I can feel it I am almost there!

20. liam_g

liam_g

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I always wanted a #1, and can't believe I finally have one!

I ordered through Sporting Arms because I called and asked if they had one in stock, and they said they had it in stock at their distributor. This was on 12/19/05, and I thought 'in stock at their distributor' meant I could get it pretty quick. Wrong. It still took a month to get it!!! Next time I'll ask more questions ... anyway, by the time shipping and the ffl transfer were added in, I paid around $750 total. Not the best price I've seen, but not too bad.

GeorgiaGlockMan, thanks so much for the post about family ... I appreciate it.

See ya!
    Liam