close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rubbing alcohol as a cleaning mechanism?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by X-Phile336, Mar 1, 2010.

1. X-Phile336

X-Phile336

I recently watched a video on youtube from I believe Hitchcock45 where he was demonstrating how to clean a pistol. During this video he used rubbing alcohol to clean away some of the buildup along what looked like the breech face and slide. My question is has anyone used rubbing alcohol before as a sort of “parts-scrubber” (as in soaking a toothbrush and scrubbing down the slide / parts), and if so, have there been any problems noted?

Thank you.

2. G-Lock808

G-Lock808

works great. you know its not going to leave some crappy residue behind to mix with your lube.

I brush dry and use the alcohol on any additional residue in the slide and frame. Hoppes for the inside of barrel.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010

3. skhori

skhori

I've used alcohol (91%) for many years with no ill effects - it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. Over the past few years tho I've been using Acetone because I feel it cleans better and evaporates almost instantly. I use it on the firing pin channel, extractor spring channel, the breachface and the firing pin safety plunger hole.

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I use WeaponShield CLP and Breakfree Foaming Bore cleaner. Rubbing alcohol in a Windex spray bottle
    works great to rinse cleaning reside and for cleaning frames. I follow up with Militech 1 as the lube.

5. orangevol

orangevol

I use rubbing alcohol to wipe down the exterior of all my guns after cleaning them. This helps to clean any oil or Hoppe's resudue while handling the firearm ensuring a slip-free surface.

6. wingspar

wingspar

If hickock45 uses it, then it must be ok. I’ve seen that video a few times. Hickock45 is a well respected connoisseur of guns, and is also a well respected member of GT. When I saw the title of this thread, I was prepared to give you the link to his video, but you have already seen it. Rubbing alcohol has many uses. I also use it to clean computer parts also, as it evaporates fast and leaves no residue.

7. RBL525

RBL525

rubbing alcohol will work great.

I use carb/choke cleaner since there is no residue with that either. and seafoam on the barrel.... I guess I love my cars and guns, and i want the best for both of them.

(If I had been a gun guy first, I would probably be using hoppes to clean my carb.....)

8. MURRAY

MURRAY Millennium Member

I just use it to take any stuff off outside of frame that gets there or hand grease or such

9. vram74

vram74

Just used 70% rubbing alcohol to clean up my XD today and it did a great job. I let some drip into the little nooks/crannies then use a can of compressed air to flush 'em out. Will prolly switch to 91% next time since someone here used it without a problem. Best part about it is that its dirt cheap. Only the barrel gets powder solvent.

10. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Since I'm a clean freak, I first clean using Hoppe's #9, then go over every part again with 97% isopropyl alcohol to remove oily film left behind by the Hoppe's. When the entire pistol is spotless, instead of dunking the pistol in a 2 gallon bucket of Mobil 1; I apply oil from a needle oiler to pivot points, and Slide Glide to rubbing surface. Mags are kept clean and bone dry. No surface has any lubricant unless it's required.

Seven year old P226ST with 20k on the meter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P220ST & P239...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. vram74

vram74

^^^^ That has too be the cleanest used pistol I've ever seen. I commend you for your OCD sir!

12. AustinTx

AustinTx

I don't like to use any solvent on my guns that leaves the surface completely oil free. If I do, I'm going to eventually miss oiling some remote spot and have it rust. Rubbing alcohol is also 30% water.

Hoppe's #9 for the metal that has powder fouling, then wipe off with a clean cloth. I use solvent soaked patches, old toothbrushes and Q-Tips to get rid of the powder fouling, off the various internal parts. I don't like to completely dunk the entire gun in any type of cleaner. Just never saw the need.

The Glocks then get some FP-10 (usually) or Breakfree CLP for the lubrication points as shown in the Glock manual. Then wipe the entire assembled gun off with a clean dry cloth, to keep from attracting dust.

The only gun that I have used brake cleaner or carburetor cleaner on has been an AK-47.

13. mymini40

mymini40

Brake cleaners would work fine too.

14. AustinTx

AustinTx

for cleaning brakes?

15. zeke66

zeke66

NON-chlorinated brake cleaner from WalMart or the parts store works great. Easy. Quick. Cheap. What's not to like?

16. loki993

loki993

Maybe on the metal parts, but I wouldn't think the polymer would react very well to it. Who knows though.

Personally I just use breakfree CLP to clean my guns, Ive really never even thought to use rubbing alcohol, but don't see it being a problem. I use it to clean delicate computer parts. I don't see how it could be a problem on a gun. I will definitely try it to clean off the residue on the outside of the gun, because I do tend to get some CLP on the grip and such when I clean my gun.

17. zeke66

zeke66

NON-chlorinated brake cleaner won't hurt the polymer. I'm not a chemist and I don't know why, but it won't hurt anything, based on my own as well as others' experiences.

18. tbyron

tbyron

I use the rubbing alcohol to clean the breech face, extractor, slide internals, any carbon that is built up on the inside of the frame after shooting dirty ammunition, and for removing built up dirt or used lubricant on the slide.

I just wait for it to completely dry before putting the slide back together or before putting some new lubricant on the slide rails.

When cleaning the inside of the slide, I use some pipe cleaner like in the video. Afterwards, I blow some compressed air into the bare slide to remove any material left behind.

19. Stuntman_Mike

Stuntman_Mike /̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

Holy craap, Cobra64. Never saw that pic on SF.

I use alcohol to wipe off pistols occasionally, but should probably use it more.

20. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

To be on the safe side, always use gloves when using acetone.