close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RTF2 Slide Serration Question

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by G17Collector, Jan 5, 2010.

1. G17Collector

G17Collector Original "G"

Anyone out there know if the "fish gill" pattern on the RTF2 has been discontinued for the standard slide serrations?

2. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

It's still being produced on the RTF2, but not the Gen4's. I'm in the minority, as I kinda liked it.

3. G17Collector

It seems that the RTF2 "ad" in the 2010 Glock Annual does not depict the fish gills. This is the reason I ask.

4. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Seriously? Scan the pic? haven't seen that yet. Not suprised though, easier to machine one type than two different. The RTF2 release was a test/trial model in my opinion, but love mine.

5. G17Collector

6. USAONE

USAONE

Yesterday at the glock armorers course it was stated that the "fish gills" are history . All of the current production guns were on display , including the "Gen4" and the G18 selectfire !

7. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Too bad, it was a nice change...

8. bharen

bharen

Looks like I now own a collector's item!

To be honest, the 'fish gills' were a solution in search of a problem. Same could be said for the RTF frame.

9. MarioS

MarioS

Pretty much right. Although, the RTF2 texture does provide tons more positive traction than the grenade checkering so it was a better improvement than the fish gills. It is a welcome addition for me, but you could achieve something similar by putting grip tape wraps on your older style grips.

10. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Where is everyone getting this quote, they are using it for everything now, and I want to puke, it sounds stupid.

It's a change, would you say that about a car changing their headlight design, or a hamburger putting 2 slices of cheese on it?

One person says something stupid, and a bunch of people pick up on it and run with it.

11. dday27

dday27

I bought a G19 with the fish gills just because it was different, Maybee someday it will be worth something, As for now it just sits in my safe....

12. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I like my RTF2 G19. It is a more positive feel holding the gun. I did take sandpaper to the backstrap and knocked those nubs down some. They tore me up, first time I shot it. Now it's perfect. The fish gills don't bother me one way or the other. It's kind of unique and I do like that. :supergrin:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  13. GuinnessMike

GuinnessMike

I had sold my Gen 1 Glock during hard times and 5 years later wanted to get a new Glock. The new Glocks cut into my hands down by the mag well. I ended up finding a used Gen 1 - a little sorry I couldn't buy a new one :( Then the RTF's came on the market - It fit my hand and did not cut into my fingers so I got one in 40 S&W I love it. I prefer it to normal texture models. I am even thinking about trading the Gen 1 and getting a 17 in RTF to match my M22

14. flieger67

flieger67

Was any reason given for dropping the fish gills? I've seen some articles that claim that the fish gills were more expensive to produce.

As others have said, I like them. I wish that I could have gotten fish-gill serrations on the 34 I bought last week as I really like how they feel on the my 19.

15. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Here is my Obi Wan impression:

"You want to sell me your G19RTF2...You want to sell me your G19RTF2..."

16. GunOneDown

GunOneDown

From what I heard/read, it cost more to cut the GILLS. I would have gotten one if the GILLS were turned backwards for better gripping. They made no sense to me except for appearance purposes.
    Grip tape works for gripping, but I replace mine almost monthly on my Comp gun. Tried on a carry gun once and it ate my arm up from rubbing against it all the time. Pros and Cons in everything nowadays I guess.
    I'd sure like to see the reverse cut serrations on Comp/Tatical Models though.

17. Feanor

Feanor

Future collector value resides largely in how many were produced with the gills, I have an RTF G-22 and love the frame but despise the gills, which are simply a pointless gimmick that detract from the practical purpose of slide serrations existing in the first place.

18. ElectricZombie

ElectricZombie

I just purchased a RTF2 G23; no gills. The gills look a bit odd to me anyway.

19. MakeMineA10mm

MakeMineA10mm * * * * Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Very well said.

I hated the fish gills from a practical as well as an aesthetic standpoint, but now that they're rare, I'm gonna have to find some... :dunno:

20. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Only reason I purchased it was because it wasn't my daddys G17... As far as the "Half Moons" not being practical... nothing could be farther from the truth... I have not once lost grip on those half moons... Gloves or not... 110 degrees and sweaty handed or not... now when I shoot my friends G17 I two finger slip on his all the time failing to chamber a round just because I'm so used to the better grip of the half moons...

also that other guy said to "turn them" around... but if they did that it would slice your fingers up like a cheese grater because they are designed for your skin to fall into the groves when pressure is applied... It takes me almost 50% more grip to two finger rack regular serrations.

Basically when I rack my RTF2 with 2 fingers it takes about as much pressure as I use to pickup a pack of cigarettes... When I do it to a regular serrated glock I have to grab it two fingers like I'm giving a mean titty twister.

To each his own really... but no doubt half moons can make you bleed... Vertical ones will never make you bleed... which is better tactically? I dunno... which ever one you shoot better...