close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RSS feed from GT???

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by lomfs24, Mar 31, 2006.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

I was wondering if Glocktalk was set up in a way to pull and RSS feed from it for a newsreader? And if there is such a beast how would you structure the URL to get what you wanted?

Thanks.

2. yrone

yrone re - member

Awww yeah! Rss for bloglines please?

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

Don't think it gonna happen or is able to happen now. I haven't gotten any response from anyone though. I thought one of the mod's or perhaps Eric would chime in. But no such luck.

4. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

would the RSS feed just have the posts from one forum or from all forums?

It wouldn't be that difficult to parse something like http://glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=29 and setup your own RSS feed.

I've considered doing this in the past. actually, it may be best to parse http://glocktalk.com/search.php?s=&action=getnew (i've never built an RSS feed, but i've written sites which essentially do the same thing).

The only thing I'm worried about is taxing the GT server, but i may be able to cache the results for an hour or so on another server actually making the load lighter than normal.

if there's much interest in this, I may look more in-depth.

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

Thanks David. I am not sure how I would parse it though. I am not writing another website. What generated the interest was that I just installed Google desktop. It it there is an RSS news aggrevator. It would bei interesting to see all the new threads as they start. I am not really sure how RSS works but if I put a URL in like the one you suggested it just returns an error that says it's doesn't have any RSS data, or something to that effect.

If there isn't a function such as this it's not a big deal. Probably be best if I didn't spend as much time on here as I do.