Routing problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bangelo, Mar 31, 2005.

1. bangelo

bangelo MAC dADDY

Ok Ive got a question about my web server. Im running IIS on win XP in my dorm room. I have cable internet and my web server is behing my router. So it goes Like this, Webserver -> Router -> Cable modem.

The problem is I can see my web page from outside my Lan from any computer, when I type in www.logixbox.com but when I try to access the web page from inside my network from the web server or my other laptop it wount display the page it displays Page cannot be displayed. I can ping logixbox.com from my lan and when i trace route it it shows 1 hop. Any idea? Thanks in advance.

2. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

is it a cisco pix?

3. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

Brad
    Sounds like a DNS Issue.

Try this in web browser on a pc on Lan

http://computername

Computername is the name of your webserver

or

http://127.0.0.1 from the Web server itself
    (Opps)

4. bangelo

bangelo MAC dADDY

No i dont have a cisco pix, its a netgear. and I can get to the web page from the computername and from the local ip and from the internal ip. I sniffed some network packets when trying to accesss the site from my internal network and they packets are reaching the web server but the page just isnt displaying. I still cant figure it out. Maybe my isp wont let the same ip address on its network route out than back in? I dont have a clue. Any more ideas?

*edit*
    FYI It's 127.0.0.1 not 1.1.1

5. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

Thanx for the correction on the loop back Address.

I believe everything is working correctly.

You could edit the host record on the clients to have
    www.logixbox.com point to your local Lan IP (192.168.x.x)
    If you feel the need - be carefull when editing the host file

6. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

the reason i asked if it was a pix is that by design it won't do exactly what you are trying to do. maybe the netgear is simialr but i dbout it.

7. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

I am reaching way back in my memory here, but....

Are you NATing?

IIRC since the switch is a layer 2 device, it won't let packets come back in on the same port they went out. You type in the name, the DNS sends it back, but the switch says, hey, this packet coming in is from the same address as its going to, I'm going to discard it.

I *think* if your webserver has a *real IP address, you won't have this problem. Or if you can subnet or VLAN and put your server on a different subnet or VLAN you get get past this too.

All of the above could be wrong, its been a loooooooong time.

hmmm, maybe its discarding the packets because its looking at the mac address of the cable modem - same coming in as going out=discard

8. bangelo

bangelo MAC dADDY

Sorry i havent replied for a few days ive been tdy in flordia working. Ok The host file thing I was thinking about that And ill probably do that But I was just wondering why it would work the way I was trying to get it too.

scowan007: Yes i am using NAT, Ive never setup a web server this way before they always have external ip addresses but that was when i had 5 static ips, now im trying it with 1 dynamic ip. Ive had a few peopl.e say that to me but i also know people that have set it up the way i am trying to and it works fine. Any way, thanks for the help yall.