Router with Apple?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Romadoc, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Romadoc

Romadoc

Would it be overdoing things to install a router to protect my new I-mac? Similarly, should I install Avast! as I used to have with my old PC?

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Using Linux, You and I are in a similar boat. I don't use AV, but definitely still use a Hardware firewall w/ SPI.

If I had a Mac, I'd probably go in a similar direction.

IGF

3. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

The built-in Mac firewall is quite good, and I trust it, but having a hardware firewall/router is still good practice. Can't hurt, and I think it's a very good idea.

I run a Linksys router in front of my Mac/Windows machines, and it certainly adds a layer of protection.

OTOH, I don't run antivirus on my Macs - until there's an actual virus in the wild for macs, there doesn't seem to be much point. I do run ClamAV (of course) on my e-mail server, so I don't transmit any of the 100,000+ Windows virii/etc. inadvertantly.

I'm not sure that Avast has an OSX build, for much the same reason.

4. grethor

grethor

It's always a good idea to have a good router between your broadband and your network. Pretty much any major brand router will work fine.

I have a Cisco 2600 on my network, I'm an enthusiast and don't expect everyone to get one of those.

5. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator