close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Router taking hits

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Generalcarry, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I just installed (almost) a linksys router and I'm using a PC-cillion firewall. I say almost because I just bypassed the router and wired to the modem earlier in the day. Since then I've had about 30 hits (different IP addresses but the same physical address) and want to know if there's a way to trace this address? I have 3 computers and none of them have the same MAC address.
    I just keep labeling them "not to be trusted" on the PC and move on.

2. Drilled

Drilled

Secure the router?
    Do you have an active good firewall? Is it on?
    Do you have spyware?
    Are the "hits" coming in thru the router?
    There are a number of sites that will let you lookup IP address, just type in IP lookup...

Webroot makes a good anti-spyware
    Spybot has a free version
    Go to C-net and lookup free software downloads and decide which ones look good to you and how they are rated...

A lot of questions can be answered at wikihow.com

3. Toyman

Toyman

You could use the tools on dnsstuff.com.

Why did you bypass the router? By doing so you're hanging your junk out there in the breeze. You'll still be subject to any holes in your OS.

4. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I was having trouble connecting with the notebook, so I tried unplugging the modem and router and then powering them up again and still could not connect. I bypassed the router to see if the modem was ok.
    PC-cillion seems to be stopping it but I'm going to reconnect to the router now.

5. malkore

malkore

definitely enable the router firewall, and change the router's administrative password. there are lists of the default login for every router ever made, so if you don't change it, someone can easily own your router without your knowledge.

I also enable Windows XP firewall. its not awesome, but a double layer never hurts.

6. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I have the linksys 54G router, 2 desktops hardwired to it, and one wireless notebook. That gives me one MAC (or physical address) for each computer. Yet I'm still getting a MAC address I have never seen that tries like every half hour to log on. I've only been using a desktop today so all the rest are off. PC-cillion stops it's entry and gives me a warning sign and I keep saying not to trust it.
    I cannot believe this address keeps appearing. I know everyone around me and can't believe someone would be messing around. I'm in a semi secluded area.
    Is there a chance I'm missing something?

7. Drilled

Drilled

You may be getting some false hits...Do a couple of things:
    First off who is your ISP?
    Are you static or dynamic?
    Turn off your computer...
    Unplug your router and your modem and let them sit for 10 mins...Then plug back in and do the following:
    Get a C prompt and type in the following:
    ipconfig/release then hit enter
    wait a few minutes
    then type in ipconfig/renew then hit enter
    Then type ipconfig/flushdns
    Exit C prompt
    Go into my computer and open your C drive by double clicking on it and then double click on Documents and settings then your name or whoevers name is on the computer then double click on local settings and delete the temp and temporary internet files...Stop using IE and download Mozilla Firefox
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
    Then download this and run it regularly:
    http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10122137.html
    Both are free...

If you are still getting attacks contact your ISP and get them on it...They will more than likely tell you to loose the router...Good luck...

8. neeko

neeko

what you're probably seeing is someone trying to associate with your wireless router. not sure why your individual machine would see someone's MAC unless you are running in AD-HOC mode on your machine's wireless card.

9. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

could also be innocent. My neighborhood has several wireless networks and all come up as available. Is your network passworded (encrypted) so the network doesnt allow passersby or the next door neighbor trying to get his to work?

10. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I must have had 30 or 40 warnings from my internet security software (Trend-Micro) that the same Mac address is trying to gain access. I've had 4 tries since about 5:30am. It has to be a neighbor and I'm going to assume it's innocent. It must have taken me 5 days to get this going. I'm inverting numbers and starting to have trouble with short term memory (dementia runs in the family and I've seen 60) so it's been a trip but, I have to say I've really had a lot of fun playing with it.
    Thanks again for all the help!

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That would be my guess, that someone is trying to hitch a ride on our connection.

As long as it appears to be turning back the attempts, I wouldn't worry about it to much.

IGF