Glock Talk banner

router problems

1K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Tvov 
Ok, let’s test your cards. Make sure that both computers are hooked up to your hub. Next turn them both on.

Go to START> RUN>

In the window, type CMD

If using windows, type ipconfig then hit enter.

Do this on both computers and write down the ip address found using the IPCONFIG command. It should look something like this. 192.169.20.40 or 10.1.1.30 Its not the 255.255.255.0 number. That’s something different.

Once you know your ip address now you can test to see if they can hear each other

At computer A type PING space, and then the address for computer B.

For example

PING 192.168.20.40 then hit enter.

You should see the computers attempt to contact its neighbor.

You will either see four FAILED messages, or four strings of numbers/statistics. The numbers/stats is the good one. It says you can talk to and hear the other computer.

Try this from the second computer to test from the other direction.

This tests your cards, wiring, hub.

Let us know if the test passes or need me to clear anything up.

Also i need to know if any Ip Sddresses are in the 169.254.X.X range. If so it indicates a specific problem.

K

OK, Just to clear it up in my head.

You have two computers hooked up to one switch. The XP computer works fine, the Windows 98 computer is not connecting to the internet. Is that correct?

Second, most Ethernet cards have small lights built into, or next to the wire jack. When the computers on, can you see lights by the jack? Are they stable, or are they flashing?

When you right click on the "computer" icon and go to the device manager, it pulls up a listing of all of your computers hardware. Do you see the Ethernet card listed there? Are there any symbols next to it? Like for example an "X or !"

I think we should start at the beginning, with simple things and work our way up.

K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.