close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Roundabouts

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by itisbruno, Mar 22, 2010.

1. They are great and keep traffic flowing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. They SUCK!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. What is a roundabout?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Big Ben! Parliament!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

For those of you who have experienced them, do you like them?

Check out their proposed replacement ...

Vortex Junction: The Next-Gen Roundabout

[​IMG]

Roundabouts aren't great for high-volume locations. This new design, called the "Vortex Junction," handles a plethora of intersections and many, many plethora of cars in a simple, ingenious layout. The future of grandma-and-Griswold-confusing intersections, below.

Roundabouts work great in low traffic volume areas because the number of vehicles in the intersection at one time is low. They eliminate traffic stops like signs or lights and allow traffic to move smoothly. When they're installed in high traffic areas, roundabouts can become a nightmare. The trouble with roundabouts, especially big ones, is drivers are always jockeying for position along the outside lane since there are always vehicles entering into, in the intersection and attempting to exit along the outer diameter. This is a problem the Vortex Junction solves.

In the Vortex, traffic entering the intersection uses the outside lane, then transitions to the inside exit lane, which then transition to an off ramp and either goes over or under the circular lane. It eliminates the trouble of entering motorists fighting exiting motorists for position, and vice versa. It has several benefits, first, it can efficiently handle many incoming roadways from any approach angle, it cuts down on the number and size of stacked spaghetti-type intersection bridges while keeping most of the infrastructure on the ground, plus, relative to the big monstrosities in some freeway intersections, it's relatively cheap. Another happy benefit is a use-able center section which could be prime places for things like sports stadiums or convention centers which generate spikes in traffic. As far as we know, there are no plans to build any of these intersections at this point, but the designs Japanese creators are shopping it around to cities and countries trying to license the Vortex. We'd be interested to test over- and understeer on those decreasing radii. [Yet2]

Send an email to Ben, the author of this post, at ben@jalopnik.com.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. Murph33

Murph33

I have no quarrels with roundabouts as long as they are not placed where unnecessary. I had one in the neighborhood I used to live in. Of course I lived to the left and had to go all the way around the roundabout. The roundabout was unnecessary because it was a very, very low traffic intersection.

3. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

I was introduced to roundabouts in Europe in the early-mid 80's. They are no big deal once you understand what your supposed to do. There are some in several New England cities.

4. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I HATE THEM! Everybody stops, then tries to go at the same time. My friend likes them but he went to Europe and became a huge fanboy of everything they do.
    I like stop signs and traffic lights.

PS how come I can't make a poll? It like, doesn't give me the option.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I think they're pretty cool. It's also funny to sit and watch people that don't know how to use them try to use them.

6. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

I don't like 'em...

...but the bigger problem is the idiots who don't know how to use them.

7. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

I got to figure them out driving on the wrong side of the road sitting on the wrong side of the car

:whistling:

8. Medic3166

Medic3166

Nobody around here seems to know how to successfully navigate a circle... Either they are blowing through a yield sign, or yielding when they have the right of way :steamed:

A lot of circles around here have been phased out in favor of traditional intersections.

To the OP, that looks like a pretty crazy design, with the off ramps and everything... IDK how that would go over here.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  9. happy seal

happy seal

Yup, Mass has a lot of them and Ct does as well but I always new them as a rotary. Is there much of a difference?

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I don't think so... I know on my TomTom when I come upon a roundabout, it always calls it a "Rotary"....

IGF

11. boozer

boozer

I'm all about them. Way better than sitting at a red light when there is no traffic.

Anti: "But I have to go all the way around when I want to turn left!"

Yes, 270 degrees is different, but would you rather sit through a couple of light cycles to turn left with an arrow?

I love the SPUI. I love the "Diverging Diamond".

We are stuck with the available land to rehabilate our existing interchanges.

The traffic circle is awesome!

12. Jay S.

Jay S.

+ a billion. 90% of the idiots around here come to a complete stop when entering one - even if there is no oncoming traffic.:faint:

13. major

major Rejected member

I got stuck in a roundabout once............drove in that thing for hours before I was able to get out.....whew!!!!

14. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Need to make sure you got a full tank of gas before you get on one of those, don't you?

15. Ross-in-Pa

Ross-in-Pa Western Pa

That's a cool design, but it would take a LOT of land. It would be hard to retrofit existing intersections to use one of these.

16. andybob

andybob Do Work

I've never been on one, so I don't know.

17. SergeantC

SergeantC

And some in Kansas. I've seen them in Manhattan and Junction City, and on Fort Riley. We also have some in my hometown in Minnesota.

18. andybob

andybob Do Work

So say you have to go 1 -> 6. Are you suppose to cut all the way across the 5 lanes of traffic at once, or go all the way around the circle taking each lane one by one???

Sorry, I live in Upstate New York where none of us are libs and we use traffic lights.

19. texanredraider

texanredraider

I'm not a fan of them. They are okay in low traffic areas, but no area stays that way for long in my experience.

20. TNGlockman

TNGlockman NRA Member

They suck...but it is kinda funny to watch other people on them though!