GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd recently purchased an Overwatch Poly DAT trigger to replace the Glock OEM serrated thing that came in my 43x. Once having worked through a minor issue with to get it to function properly I shot with it a few times and have been doing an over-abundance of dry fire training trying to work my own technique bugs out without spending a ton of $$$ at the range. As I began to understand the function I because aware of the feel of the take-up in the trigger. I'm new to striker fire pistols so I didn't know what to expect or how things should feel. From the day I got the 43x I felt this roughness in the OEM trigger as well as the Poly DAT. I thought it was normal (whatever that is) andattributed the rough feel to one of the springs because that's what it sort of felt like. But as I have become more aware of the interfnal functions of my 43x I recognized how trigger pushes the safety plunger out of the way during takeup feeling the roughness during that part of the trigger pull.

So I pulled it apart tthe Glock and checked the safety plunger which was shiny and smooth and functioning perfectly. Then I examined the part of the trigger bar that pushes the plunger out of the way running my fingernail across it feeling for smoothness. Striations and burrs all across that top surface. THAT was what I was feeling.

I hadn't given it a thought before because Overwatch Precision sells their triggers with a "polished" bar and didn't know or think to check. But after discovering the imperfections I knew that it wouldn't take much to get that ough feeling out of it but IMO it had to be done. So some wet (w/flitz) sanding with 1000 grit sand paper, working up to 3000 grit,then a felt buffer polish and I got all the imperfections out of it. And yes, I was extremely careful not to change the geometry or take too much metal.

The takeup is MUCH smoother now. I don't want to blame Overwatch Precision because there is polished and there is POLISHED. They made it nice and shiny, but just buffing it shiny bright doesn't necessarily make it smoother if there are impefections in the metal, and that's on Glock. I then also checked the original trigger bar that came with my Glock. Almost just as bad and then fixed it as well. Perhaps I'm being too fussy, but to me it feels so much better now.

Just thought I'd share for anyone who might benefit or be interested.

Reactions: GlockyQ and BCC73

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for posting....feel is everything. Glad you're not afraid to explore & enhance your firearm. Slow and easy thoughtful polishing with 1000 grit can make a big difference with little concern for damage. Although.....blindly sanding for some can result in slight angle changes.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting....feel is everything. Glad you're not afraid to explore & enhance your firearm. Slow and easy thoughtful polishing with 1000 grit can make a big difference with little concern for damage. Although.....blindly sanding for some can result in slight angle changes.
Though I haven't done it in awhile this isn't the first pistol I've had to clean up. I also watched a lot of videos on Glocks to get a pretty fair understanding of how they function. I know you don't dare mess with the geometry and went very, very slowly, only going as far as needed until I saw the metal become smooth. Before this Glock my only experience was with (finely tuned) single action and "enhanced" SA/DA. As I said, it's taken me awhile to understand what I should be experiencing with a striker fire pistol.

In terms of feel, something I hadn't mentioned was that the Overwatch shoe has a little "overhang" on the edges. I guess it enhances the aesthetics or maybe helps to broaden the face of the shoe, but the way my finger enters the trigger well I round that overhang annoying, so I took it down on the right side to be flush with the main body of the shoe and for me it's improved the comfort level significantly. I'm sure most wouldn't notice or care. On that count it's just me.

·
Controller
2,619 Posts
Rough feeling take up is usually an indication of a bad channel liner

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Not at all a fan of your upside down American flag avatar

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not at all a fan of your upside down American flag avatar
I have two things to say about that…

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and for the moment believe that you did not know that the upside down American flag was a distress symbol.

The upside down American flag is a traditional way of signaling distress. This country is in so much distress on so many levels. Freedom of speech no longer exists. Political parties are no longer the loyal opposition but tribal enemies dueling to the death. We have friends canceling friends because they hold certain points of view and aren’t even given an opportunity to explain why they hold them. We have corporations that influence elections dictate what we can and cannot hear. We have a political party that is willing to abandon all principal to gain political power. The America we live in today is a land where wrong is right and right is ridiculed. We have one party that wants to over enforce the laws they like and ignore the laws that they don’t. We have a president that is obviously corrupt based on actual evidence and yet it just seems expedient to ignore that for political purposes.There is so much that is upside down right now in this land.

My second point is that the first amendment is supposed to guarantee not only freedom of speech but freedom of expression which comes in many forms. I am not being profane or blasphemous or trying to tell you what you should believe, how you should act and how you should represent yourself or your country. This is my way of saying that I still believe in the First Amendment and someone suggesting that I should not use MY avatar in protest to display my feelings about the state of the United States of America as it is today exemplifies it all. It seems to me that the second amendment, one that we all on this forum seem to support, is designed to protect all of the other amendments rights and privileges protected by the Constitution. While the second amendment is designed to protect the other amendments, if you first take away the first amendment what will then protect the second amendment… And then where are we? You see that coming, don’t you?

And even so I will defend your right to criticize my use of the upside down American flag even though I am in total disagreement with you and it will stay as it is until I decide it is time to change it.

I apologize to the forum as this thread was not intended to be political, but based on the comments in this very same thread it required an explanation

·
Registered
PIETRO BERETTA GARDONE V.T. MADE IN ITALY
302 Posts
There is a number of crises that might justify putting the union down which should only be done during a time of peril, however, the political climate and to protest results of an election are not one of them.

While you are of course free to do whatever and express yourself however you please, be prepared for the ire that it can attract.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
There is a number of crises that might justify putting the union down which should only be done during a time of peril, however, the political climate and to protest results of an election are not one of them.

While you are of course free to do whatever and express yourself however you please, be prepared for the ire that it can attract.
Those who don't think America is currently in great peril right at this moment aren't paying attention. You've got barbed wire fencing around the Capitol building and thousands of troops remaining outside, the reason being a mystery that isn't so mysterious. The troops and barbed wired remain outside, not because the politicians or building require protection from an actual attack but to send a message to anyone who dares question their authority. You had riots in the streets of Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, Racine, Chicago and other places and not a finger was lifted nor word spoken by the Democrat Left to stop private property from being burned to the ground and cities shut down. You had an attempted "soft coup" on the former sitting president and two subsequent fraudlent impeachments after being hamstrung for 3 years by the Mueller investigation that found absolutely no collusion on Trump's part, but failed to state that the premise was falsely started by his opponent and perpetuated by the Democrat party and lying Left-stream media. The Russians couldn't possibly have interfered with an election as much as Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey did, stopping the public from hearing anything that wasn't pro Biden or pro Democrat. We are now 12 months into COVID and rate of business collapses in America is unprecedented as well as the rate of depressions, much of that caused by politicians who have used COVID for political advantage [just google Andrew Cuomo]. If you haven't looked at the "debt clock" we are a couple ticks away from being $28 TRILLION dollars in debt ( $9 Trillion when Obama was inaugurated and $21 million with Trump) and the Democrats haven't finished loading the next "Covid relief bill. You have tens of thousands of illegal aliens being allowed to pour across our border, joining almost 20 million (calculated statistically differently than the state department's number) of illegal aliens who compete with lower wage Americans for jobs, driving down pay. They are targeted to become voting citizens. There is a huge push in our public institutions to denigrate white people for simply being white, while (ironically) calling for the end of "systemic racism" (while implementing their own brand of it). And of course the unbridled squelching of free speech. You can see the handwriting on the wall. They're coming for you and your 2nd Amendment tools next. They might just have to do it in small but successive steps. But it's coming.Anyone who takes an oath of office pledges to protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC and it is obvious that one party egregiously violates Constitution and the laws of the United States and had been emboldened to continue and to step up their assault. Joe Biden just canceled thousands of jobs; jobs that would keep America energy independent. And there WILL be a tsunami of inflation. It's not if but when and how bad. And that's just the domestic side of things.

We have China building military bases in the South China Sea, threatening Taiwan and sea travel in that region. They are regularly committing cyber attacks on US installations. They have taken advantage of US' soft economic policies and have imbedded themselves in our businesses. They manipulate currency and don't compete fairly in trade. Iran never stopped enriching Uranium, but just went "underground" with it. Obama's Iran deal provided billions of $ that got filtered to terrorist organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah, and even while Donald Trump was in office trying to cut a different deal with Iran, John Kerry was over in Iran undercutting the Trump State Department's negotiations. According to Mossad, unlike the reports you hear on the news that the Iranians are only years away from having a nuke, the Israelis say it's probably just a matter of months now. I don't have to tell you about Putin and Russia.

You don't think that America is truly in GRAVE peril right now???

Edit: This thread should never have gone off the rails as it did. I intended it to be about working on Glocks. I've posted enough in the political area that is a better place for this discussion. So if you have further comments please take it over there. Thank you.

Reactions: Barry581

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rough feeling take up is usually an indication of a bad channel liner
Thanks for taking this thread back to its intended discussion.

What is a channel liner?

I suspect that there is also excessive friction between the Poly shoe and the trigger bar. I had some initial binding which caused the safety lever not return to its resting position after resets which was corrected by injecting lube into the contact points. It was quite concerning until I diagnosed and seem to have corrected the safety issue. But it appears that while there is no wobble in the shoe it is probably a hair too tight on the bar. After the lube injection the safety has functioned properly 100% of the time with over 1000 dry fire and live fire trigger pulls.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That being said, it isnt a 50 cent trigger job because metal polish costs around 10 bucks. :ROFLMAO:
Obviously it was a play on the 25¢ trigger job. Actually it's closer to MCarbo's polishing, but name isn't so engaging... unless you're on (or against) Keto (another bad joke). Had to add some levity to a thread gone wrong.

As a side note, I find it interesting that the pistol brand that is probably #1 in popularity probably has the least amount of attention to detail and stock parts of any other brand I can think of. While not related to the proverbial 50¢ job,

One more thing... Speaking of crappy parts, here is photo of the slide stop on this 43x that I've only had since the first week of January. The "finish" has already flaked off in this one area. I buffed the area down so it couldn't snag or continue to flake off into the internal workings. It functions fine, but at some point it will get replaced. Another example of what I was alluding to above.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
All Glock trigger bars are rough in that area and your proper polishing makes them much smoother.
I'm curious. The OP makes a good point about the bit of crudeness on stock Glock parts. Don't see that on my striker fired CZ P10 for example.

How do we think Glock makes its trigger bars? Stamped cut then press formed into final shape?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm curious. The OP makes a good point about the bit of crudeness on stock Glock parts. Don't see that on my striker fired CZ P10 for example.

How do we think Glock makes its trigger bars? Stamped cut then press formed into final shape?

CZ makes fine pistols and always has. My buddy has a P-10 C and it is a phenomenal piece of work. That will probably be my next if there is a next one. In this recent purchase I felt that the P-10 C was too large overall and the P-10 S was too small in the grip for what i was looking. Perhaps I overlooked the S with an extended grip? I do like my 43x, but CZ doesn't seem to miss a trick.

Reactions: PattonWasRight
1 - 17 of 17 Posts