close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rotweiller Behavior question

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by ede, Sep 26, 2004.

1. ede

ede Bama's Friend

female around 9 months, very loving and friendly. out of our 4 dogs she's the most loving and for most part best behaved. 1st question is she licks a lot, on me not herself. guess she just loves me but is there any way to make her stop? second question, 2 parts, she likes to chew things she shouldn't and there's no lack of chew toys or balls around here she could chew on, she also digs mostly wifes flowers. any way to get her to stop this? since it occurs mostly when we aren't home or around to see it i suspect it'll be next to impossiable to control. thanks

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

ede,
    No problem with stopping the licking. Here is the procedure:
    When you know she will lick you spray some of this on your hands (outside the house, like when you come home) and greet her as normal. If she starts to smell your hands stick them in her mouth and say NO!!! Make sure she gets a good mouthful! Then walk away from her and make sure she has clean fresh water. She may want a drink after this stuff. I can tell you first hand this stuff taste nasty ;0. IIRC it is mostly rubbing alcohol so it wont hurt you or the dog unless she drinks it and that has only happened to 1 dog I encountered. It was a dalmation that loved it!!!
    A better solution for your situation is obedience training and then teach her to give "kisses" when asked....
    To stop the digging I have used this product before called Keep Off . It works well but should be applied daily and heavily. It works if we are talking about a small area. Larger areas will require other methods. The way to use this is sprinkle a bunch on the ground and take her outside to the flowers on the leash and walk her right up to the keep off. When you see her start to get a wiff of it, snatch her back away from it and give a big NO!!! You must use the leash for this!!! If not she will associate the correction with you instead of the flowers and she will be highly confused. Also the trick here is to not give her access to the flowers when you can't be around. If that means keeping her inside while away, then do it. Its only temporary. ^c
    Good luck and feel free to let me know how it goes. ;)

3. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

i would crate her or gate her off in a room when you're away or can't supervise her to keep her from chewing on stuff she's not supposed to and to keep her out of your wife's flowers. my dog was a digger, too, but a couple of swift corrections when i busted him and he learned digging was not acceptable. having him crated was a godsend and i would highly recommend it. he was crated until he was a little over a year old. now he's gated off in the laundry room at night and i wouldn't have it any other way.

as for the licking, my dog is a licker too. i can't stand it. so from day one, the rule was no licking. we bought him at 15 weeks old and it was pretty easy to break the habit. firm "no" and leash correction was all it took. we never had to resort to using any kind of spray but i would have if he kept it up. he still tries to sneak a lick in every now and then but for the most part, he's pretty good about not licking.

there's a really good rottweiler forum that i found after only have our dog for 2 weeks. it's a great place to hang out and learn. that forum, along with obedience classes, has been a great resource. it's www.rottweiler.net

good luck.:)

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

jaeger thanks for the link. i'm also in ohio. never see you on the ohio forum here

5. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

My puppy loves bitter apple. If he ever has a lack of appetite, I will spray it on his food to get him to eat. He is quite the chewer. He is getting better at not nipping, but when he gets into high play gear, I occasionally get a little nip. He knows its wrong as soon as he does it, but I correct him anyway. I want it to be really unpleasant for him to nip at people.

My big problem is getting him to quit chewing up his leashes. If he's not in his kennel, he's leashed to me (or the couch, desk, etc where I am). Well, when he gets bored, he starts chewing his leash Even with better toys around). This is so far, the only behavior that I have not been able to (at least partially) correct. Now, he's only 13 weeks, and has the attention span of a squirrel on crack, but still...

6. BigDog

BigDog

Dogs often lick their owners as a way of saying "I know you're in charge" It's their way of saying "I'm doing OK, how are you?" If you watch your dogs, I bet that she is also licking the face of the most dominant dog in your "pack" She's just acknowledging her position in that pack. Punishing her for this will often lead to MORE licking, as they apologize for whatever made you mad by licking you more. You are best off just ignoring it.

Her digging / chewing is age appropriate and, with active discouragement from you, will eventuall stop. Try putting a piece of dog poop in the holes that she has started and she will not dig there again.

As for the chewing, try pepper spray. Works like a charm.

Try Leergurg.com for a zillion articles on dog behavior and training.