close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rottweiler questions

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OctoberRust, Jun 10, 2012.

1. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Hey guys, just picked up a rottweiler the other day. Super sweet dog, he's almost 6 months old and 60 pounds. The guy said he's a pure breed, but wasn't motivated to get the AKC papers and just wanted him to go to a good home. I brought him to petco with me today to grab him a kennel until he's fully house trained and bigger, and an employee insisted this is not a rottweiler. I didn't spend too much time arguing, I looked a little online, and it seems the way rottweilers look from their snout/ears vary. Was this guy correct?

Also, either way is fine with me, I've only had this dog for 2 days now and already love him to death! He's the most relaxed puppy I've ever seen! He's going to make a great addition to the family. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ronin.45

ronin.45

Looks a little dobie to me, a bit too pointy. Maybe a rott mix, but who cares if he's a good dog.

Unless I paid for a purebred it wouldn't bother me.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

3. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

He looks more Dobie than Rottweiler. I've had Dobies all my adult life (until Obie) and been around lots of Rotties. He may be a Rottie/Dobie mix or even all Dobie. He's a cutie anyway. I wouldn't worry about it if you love him and he's a good dog.

4. greenman19

greenman19

Definitely a mix but that shouldn't matter, he's a good looking boy.

5. Berto

Berto woo woo

It's typically said "German" Rottweilers are the more Mastiff blockheaded looking while the "American" Rottweiler is less blocky headed not quite as stocky in build.
    ...at least in common terms, there's really only "Rottweilers", period, and they can be pretty diverse in build and shape.
    Priscilla is a Rottweiler, have no idea where she fits into this 'German vs American' terminology.

[​IMG]

6. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Definitely looks like a Dobie mix. The width, stature and nose(not snout) seem more Dobie than Rott. Sometimes a mix is a lot better as it offsets the weaknesses that have been bred into a breed.

Good looking dog. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I agree with everyone else that this dog is most likely a doberman mix. Rott's are blocky and stout, your dog is pointy and long-legged.

8. NBT

NBT

Congrat's on the new addition. It's hard to tell from the pics, and he's young yet. The first pic makes him look like his ears are standing up, but I think it's actually the dog behind him. They grow so out of proportion for the first year and a half...things get a bit better once they slow down and fill out. If possible shoot a few more pics and post them up.
    We have owned Rottie's for the past 25 years...and don't see ourselves without one.
    There's also a great Rottie forum. Great information there.
    http://rottweilersonline.com/forum/

Sounds like the person you got the dog from was not very certain...or forthcoming about papers for the dog.
    Regardless of the aforementioned...doesn't matter. Sounds like he's already a great dog...and will certainly provide plenty of affection, fun, and loyalty for you and your family.

Below is our pup, CoCo...going on 19 months. We attend obedience/training classes quarterly.
    The Rottweiler has a reputation like the Pit Bull, even though they are such an easy going, loyal, and affectionate breed.

They provide plenty of laugh's...that's for sure. Have fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tony4311

tony4311

Yeah the face just doesn't look pure rott. Of course it could still be pure just not well breed to meet the standard. Doesn't mean it's a bad dog it does look very happy though. If it is a rott it'll take another year and a half to fully grow. Generally the first year they grow up, the second they grow out. I look back on the puppy pictures of mine now and he just looks sickly even though he wasn't. Also wait until he's a year to get him snipped (If he's not already) otherwise he won't grow to full size.

10. OctoberRust

Hey guys, thanks for the input. You're all right, it really doesn't matter what he is, even though curiosity has me just for the fun of it.

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/general-info/33628-long-nose.html

I did a little research in between the time I put this thread up and now, they're saying his head will grow for 2 years? :wow: He's 60 pounds and just shy of 6 months. I know for sure he's going to be a big dog, and sure does look like a doberman, which is also a great breed in my opinion. I didn't realize that some will be lanky with long noses for possibly years to come.

Anyways, like I said before, this dog is great, energetic, and seems like a healthy pup (even if I do need to feed him more than what I think his previous owners were giving him).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  11. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Nice looking dog. I'd tend to "underfeed" (not starve) him a bit. Big dogs need to be kept thinner, especially purebreds, so they don't get joint (hip) problems later in life.

12. OctoberRust

Thanks, and good point.

I think they just underfed him way too much. He was eating once a day of 1 and a half cups of Pedigree.

From what I've been reading, he should receive 2 cups 2x a day of some food of higher quality. his coat seems coarse and I hear that may be from poor nutrition as well?

Also - does running help or hurt with hip problems? He's amazing for a 6 month old on the leash and went jogging with me for 2 miles before he was exhausted. I plan on taking him on longer runs when I can work him up to it, I'm used to running 3-4 miles on a weekend on trails.

13. g29andy

g29andy CLM

NBT, that's a fine Rottie!

14. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I love everything about Rotts...except the smell. They have to be the worst smelling breed I've ever encountered. HH

15. ronin.45

ronin.45

This is my big dummy.:supergrin:
    He looks pretty tiny in this quick cell phone pic, but he's about 100lbs. The angle and the fact I'm huge make him look so little. He's a 5 year old German named Bruno.
    [​IMG]

16. OctoberRust

Do his eyes glow yellow/green like that in person?! :supergrin: jk jk.

Good looking dog! I'm interested to see how long it takes and how much mine fills out.

17. Triple7

Triple7

For sure not pure rott..... Might be black and tan mixed with something or rott/lab mix

18. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

That sounds like a lot, but he is growing, so IDK. We've had good luck with the Science Diet Lamb & Rice. Our GSD/husky is 75lbs and gets ~1c 2x/d. He's full grown and doesn't get a ton of exercise, though.

I don't think it hurts, but remember that dogs aren't made for distance. They're sprinters, so I wouldn't over do it.

19. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

My thoughts too.

Great lookin pooch though:wavey:

20. RDW

RDW BTDT

Looks like a DOBE to me.