close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rottweiler owners - advice please

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by itisbruno, Apr 9, 2010.

1. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Hey,

Dad wants a dog, he lost his to kidney failure about a year ago.

I'm going the rescue route this time. We have always been GSD owners.

Dad is 71 and cares for my bedridden mom all day and needs a buddy.

A 5 year old well behaved (claimed to be anyway) female Rotty - good match or no?

What are your experiences with the breed? What health issues other than the eyes and hips are worrisome? Dad is a somewhat strong pack leader but can be a little lovey and not always firm - anything to worry about with an adult rotty?

Thanks for your input.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fear762

Fear762

They need alot of exercise. Maybe not the best choice if their needs can not be met.

3. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Dad needs the company - me, my niece, nephew, brother, and Dieter will give her plenty of exercise evenings and weekends.

You make a great point though ... it wouldn't be fair to tha animal if it was just dad.

Thanks

:thumbsup:

4. playininthedirt

playininthedirt

Rotties are great dogs. We adopted and adult male, and he has been one of the best dogs I have ever had. Bo is at least 5 years old and although sometimes he acts like a pup, he is a wonderful house dog.

Being 5 she is probably fairly mellow, mine is until he knows it is time to play. as long as she is socialized, sane and has some obedience training she may be a good choice.

+1 on adequate exercise, it makes for a calmer, happier dog

Rotties aren't for everyone, but if one claims you, you have a friend for life

5. Spen84107

Spen84107

You mentioned that you've always owned GSDs... as I understand, temperament and exercise requirements are very similar with the two breeds. In my opinion, as the owner of 2 GSD's.. If you think the a GSD would be a good match for your dad, then the Rottie would, too.

The ONLY negative that I can think of, that you can probably discern pretty quickly from your interactions with the dog, is that some rotts can be more stubborn that GSD's.. If she doesn't seem too stubborn.. I say go for it. I love both breeds!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  6. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

The rottie sounds fine ta me.'08.

7. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

They are both similar in that they need training and exercise and attention. Similar health problems in the hips. If you have seen the dog and taken it to meet your dad the dog may be fine. I have found female dogs to be easier to deal with in terms of aggression towards people than male dogs. Both breeds are typical "German"...high intelligence and pretty loyal. Just make sure she gets along wiht the family before you commit.

8. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Wonderful dogs. Pound for pound the strongest breed, at least in pulling contests. Also very strong willed and protective. Not long lived though, like any large dog.

Rotties tend to adopt an entire family rather than being one person dogs.

I still miss my buddy after more than 15 years, but due to the short lifespan I would not go out and get another.

9. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Three of my favorite breeds are GSD, Dobie, and Rottie. I agree with the statement above in general but it will just depend on the individual dog. I'm wondering if a Boxer or a Dobie might be more suitable. Of course, I am bias and think GSD would be good.

On exercising... I don't know if it would work for anyone else but it works for my GSDs; I've taught my dogs to go up the stairs and down the stairs on command. If I don't have time to play with them, I just sit at the computer and send them up and down, with praise and occasional treats. They also search on command for treats or a certain toy hidden around the house for mental stimulation. It works, especially when it's crappy outside or if I'm short on time. They love it. They think they're fulfilling a purpose, and they are.

10. schild

schild

Check out Dobe rescue, Dobes are couch potatoes.

11. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Just like others have said, Rotties are great dogs. I've never had one but I've been close to several. As long as she's heathy, sane, even tempered, and gets along with the family she could be great for your dad. Ideally I would want to try her for maybe a weekend in the family setting before committing but at least have your dad spend some time with her at the shelter if that's not possible. She's a beautiful dog and if it works will be a great companion to your father. Once a Rottie bonds with you they are loyal companions for life. Dobies are my favorite breed but Rotties are a close second.

Of course Obie is neither and he's one of the best dogs I've ever had.

12. SilverBullet_83

SilverBullet_83 NRA member

13. plasticgunz

plasticgunz Swollen Member CLM

I'm living with my 3rd Rottie now and I think she would be great for your Dad. Assuming no abuse or neglect and proper socialization, of course.

14. bsg1

bsg1

the rott is a wonderful dog; does not tend to be overly needy and is ever vigilant protecting home and family. you are talking one intelligent breed of dog here, and by nature the rott is a herding dog. what that translates to for family life is a dog that lives to restore and maintain order; she will insist other pets follow the rules of the house, and will encourage them in a hands on manner; she will not always follow those rules herself but, after all she is special.... during the days of knights in armor the large pit bull went to war with the master, and the rott stayed home to herd the animals on the farm and protect home and family. the rott does not know fear like other dogs may know it; there is no reverse gear when defending family.... they tend to be great with children when properly socialized and are flexible enough to blend in many different circumstances and environments. the most important issue is the dog knowing the difference between friend and foe as the rott is a natural warrior and sweetie pie all wrapped up in one package. my rott refuses to leave the home, even for walks and becomes very irate when i take my large pit out for walks. yes mine has hip problems and glucosamine with msm helps. have an initial meeting with the rott and your loved one and see how it goes; i'm betting it will be a great fit. after having my poki i will always have a rott in my life....

-Brady-

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010