Rottweiler info needed

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by glockmagyar, Apr 1, 2007.

1. glockmagyar

glockmagyar

Hello all,

I've had a dog as part of the family since childhood. Currently I am the proud papa of Kozmo the choc lab. He's awesome! Kozmo will be 7 this Thanksgiving and I'm starting now to research into getting another pup by the time he's 9.

I have no real experience with Rotties and would really appreciate hearing from fellow GTers who are. Searching online today I've seen a few pics of some German Rotties and I like their look.

How are these dogs with other dogs? kids?

How much are pups going for now? (Reason why I'm researching 2 yrs out so I can save up some $)

Another breed I might consider is the Dutch Sheperd, but a majestic, muscular and loyal Rottweiler is what I'm looking at right now.

I appreciate any input cause I'm here to learn.

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

First of all, I love Rotties. The first dog that I had a real relationship with was a 120lbs male Rottie names Moses. As soon as my current situation allows I plan on getting at least one.

That said, Rotties are a powerful breed that require constant and firm leadership. They are a working dog that absolutely need to be exercized. If you don't have time walk this dog, properly, for at least an hour a day then I wouldn't recommend one for you. Schutzhund (protection/attack) training can also be a good way to work your dog. SchH training is a total lifetime commitment for both dog and owner. I only recommend it to the most dedicated of owners. If you don't work the dog somehow, it will become bored and behavior problems can arise. One of the main concern when adopting an older dog is socialization. Considering the fact that Rotties are such a powerful breed, proper socialization is key. With proper socialization and leadership they can be wonderful family dogs, getting along with both kids and other pets. I have a cat that can attest to that fact ;).

I really think that with an older dog in the house you are making a good choice by not getting a younger pup. A younger pup, with it's higher energy levels, can stress out an older dog.

As far as heath issues, like any big dog, hip and elbow dysplasia are a concern. If you're getting this dog from a breeder then the breeder should have info about the dogs parents and their heath history. Your vet will also do checks.

Price wise I really can't give you an idea. It's been a while and will probably be a while before I start looking.

My bigest concern when I hear that someone wants a powerful breed like this, is that they want a guard dog and a family pet. It's really hard to get both of those out of the same dog without LOTS of work. If this is you, you need to be honest with yourself. If you want protection you are better off with a gun and a security system on your house.

With a lot of dedication, discipline and love, a Rottie can be a wonderful companion and friend. The fact that your asking says a lot about you and that you want to be a good owner. Good luck to you if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

3. trainracer

trainracer

i have 2 rotties now the older one was 4 years old when i got her at the time i had a husky who was 5 years old the became the best of friends then 2 years later i got a 10 week old rottie the husky wanted nothing to do with the puppy but 5 years later they all get along good the husky still shows the rotties who the boss is the 2 rotties are pound puppies the very first rottie i had was also a pound rescue

4. glockmagyar

glockmagyar

Thanks for the great input.

My 870P shottie is my main home protection along with alarm system and Kozmo getting all riled up. I would definitely prefer to have a family dog that is intimidating and may cause a potential intruder to decide to go elsewhere.

My only experience with a Rottie was years ago on a golf course up north. We we about 100 yrds out and saw this huge beast on our green. All 4 of us hit up on to it and this beast just stood there. As we approached he just stayed on the fringe and let us putt out. We were able to have this huge dog walk over to us and all calmly introduce ourselves at his pace and within moments I was talking to him and giving him a good pat. He was cool and very friendly and then just walked away to go home( his backyard was next to the green). I have to admit that the closer we got within 100 yrds the less I wanted to finish that hole! lol He was that intimidating just standing there so confidently and calm. I'm glad I eased over and said hello to him, what a great dog.

5. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Right on man. Just a general tip when meeting a new dog, don't acknowledge (touch, talk or eye contact) the dog until it has time to sniff you. At the shelter, breeder or golf course ;). Dogs experience the world through smell, sight, then sound. This is especially important when meeting a "big" dog for the first time. If you present calm energy and let the dog sniff you before you really acknowledge it, it will make the experience more pleasant for both you and the dog.

6. planner

planner

We've had a few Rotts and they were generally very good with kids. Our first Rott was very protective of our kids, would not even let people he knew into the yard if the kids were out there and we were not. Was also protective of my wife. He did not trust me at first (because we got him from a rescue from an abusive home) but he came around. Our second Rott was also good with kids, both were very gentle. Our third Rottie, a female, was too unpredictable. She would be laying calmly on the floor, with our other 2 dogs (another Rott and a Golden retriever) and would suddenly jump up and chase one of our cats or "act out". After she snapped at one of the kids and killed a kitten, we got rid of her, but I am looking for a Rott pup now for my wife.

7. charlie-xray

charlie-xray Gunpowder Adik

Really wanted a Rott for a while now, I have a small place but the whole foye area could be his/her domain.

But am a bit worrisome on food cost, I live in the Philippines and for sure dog food is a bit steep right now maybe when my twins daughter ease up on their formula then that would be the time to get me a rott.

8. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

As long as you can walk it at least an hour a day, Rotties can do just fine ina small place.

9. PeterJasonMN

PeterJasonMN ****

After graduation, when I set some roots down and have my house, a Rottie will be joining the family. Maybe a Boxer, but probably the Rottie.

10. DOG33

DOG33 Senior Member

We own a Rottie, his name is Roc. He is our second rottie. He is a great family dog and awesome protector.
    We paid about 300 dollars for him. He is almost 2 years old.
    Here is a pic of the fella.
    G
    [​IMG]