close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rotator Cuff

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by glockess56, Jan 25, 2006.

1. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Hey gang, I recently spoke with the doctor and have been diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff. He said it is 80% torn and it is away from the bone (whatever the 80% means!). Has any shooters had this problem and had surgery? How was the rehab and how long before you got to shoot again? I'm looking at surgery (not right now, but in the immediate future). I know some of you have had surgeries, but this kind on your shoulder? It is my right shoulder and I'm a right handed shooter. It hurts, but not excutiating (spelling?). When I shoot with it, it smarts a little, but seems to get warmed up and isn't too bad. I don't shoot any better with it as without it, as it doesn't seem to hold me back. I do notice, though, in bullseye, shooting with only one hand does hurt a tad bit more, but two handed, like in the indoor league and outdoor GSSF matches, it doesn't seem to be so bad. I put this post here, because it involves GSSF competiton and I wonder how long I'll be out of competition or shooting altogether.

I asked the doctor about the process, rehab, etc. He said it's outpatient surgery, about 1 1/2 to two hours. Then it's a sling for 4 to 6 weeks, then about two months PT. I told him what I did at work and he said I would be off a minimum of two weeks. I would like some input, because I'm not looking forward to this. And I thought 2006 was going to be my great year!;b

2. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Sharon....seems like we are traveling the same path at this time of life. The best thing to do is find the Doctor who you are comfortable with and follow the program to the tee...find a sports doctor that is agressive with rehab and tell the Doc what your expectations are versus what the Doc thinks you can do. Many Doctors either Sugar Coat the Rehab or the results.....if you find a sports doctor that deals in reality and the Doc believes you will aggresively rehab....everything will turn out positive and quickly....hopefully someone can comment about the above condition. ;f

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Go for it, whatever it takes. I get my second carpal tunnel surgery on February 9. The first is doing nicely. I'm sure I'll be a better shooter after both wrists heal.