close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

rotator cuff surgery?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by cmbb, Feb 19, 2007.

1. cmbb

cmbb

Anybody have surgery for your rotator cuff? If so how was it and what was the outcome? I have seen a couple doctors and they have recommended surgery for my right shoulder.

2. DBradD

DBradD

No, but I have a current shoulder issue probably involving one of the rotator cuff muscles.

What exactly did the doctor say was wrong with your shoulder?

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

cmbb, I suggest you post your question in the general non-glocking forum. There are only a few of us who post here. You might get a better response.

Brad, have you had your shoulder checked out yet?

I had shoulder problems for a few months before I got it checked out and it turned out to just be a torn miniscus (sp). It only prevented me from raising my arm above shoulder level, and putting it behind my back. I just gave it about 8 months to heal and now all is well, just a slightly limited ROM.

My doc was very cool and sports oriented. He didn't say lifting would be the death of me like some do. He just said avoid anything that bothers it and give hell to everything else.

There's lots of little bits in the shoulder area, get it checked out incase it is something serious.

Shoulder came back stronger then ever. :thumbsup:

4. WINGS

WINGS CLM

I have the same ongoing shoulder problem. It's hard to get more ice for my drink out of the icemaker on the top shelf of the fridge.
    Maybe a shot of cortisone would help it heal better/faster???

5. cmbb

cmbb

Thanks guys; I had thought of putting it in the General section, but figured it would be moved to here.

Its been a problem for a number of years. Doc said it was a classic rotaor injury. If it gets worse, which it has, he said to get it fixed. I cannot throw overhand, it feels like my shoulder is ripping off. It bothers sleeping, can't sleep on my back or right side. numerous other pains in certain positions. Just using this mouse is uncomfortable with arm extended. I have been living with it for quite a while. It just seems to be getting worse and worse!
    I may get a second opinion since it is not a simple surgery. A number of muscles come together in this area.

Thanks

6. DBradD

DBradD

Nope. I've put that on hold. With the newborn in the house, I can't exercise much anyway. My health insurance won't cover any of the sports med doctors within 2 hours of here. I also have two papers and a dissertation proposal due in the next 2 months--not good!

I'm crossing my fingers that my half-*** workout schedule for the next couple of months will allow it to heal. If not, then I'll revisit it then.

Then again, I just ordered Never Gymless. I might have to put off implementation of some of it.

7. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Cortizone shots seem to work for some people and not others.

I had a few done and they never really did anything, except make it even more sore the days right after the shot. Some people love them though.

Where in NH are you located?

8. cmbb

cmbb

BCR; Where are you in Hew Hampshire? I live in Maine. Western mts. near canadian border.

9. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Southern NH, almost in Mass.

10. PsychoDad

PsychoDad

How did you get the injury? Did you dislocate it?
    I dislocated my right shoulder twice. The first time was a "clasical" and a coworker put it back in within 2 minutes. So that didn't do to much damage. The second time do was a bad one. It was out for almost 4 hours and two surgeons had to combine their pull to get it back in. It was their last try before they would do emergency surgery.
    The recovery process was surgery. At least that's what the doctor said. I would have reduced mobility but that would be it. But as a police officer that didn't cut it as i would have to get behind a desk within 5 years. I had a 10% chance of recovery with physical therapy. I actually had to beg the therapist to try, he said it was hopeless. I couldn't lift it above shoulder level to the front and chest height to the side. When he checked it the first time he said he could push it out with two fingers or lifting a heavy weight would just pull it out by itself. It hurt a lot.

After 10 weeks i was done and i now have to work out regularly and do some specific excercises in my workout. I have full mobility again and although i baby it during work and training i am positive that i can keep it in place.

With the right guidance and most of all motivation, most of the shoulder injuries can be helped with training the shoulder muscles. The stronger you make the muscles the less weight is put on the rotary cuffs and others.
    Sorry for the long read but i just wanted to let you know that it is possible to heal it without surgery.
    All the best

11. cmbb

cmbb

PDAD; Thanks for the info.
    I did not have one defining injury as yours. Softball started it, woods work and then gradually seems to be getting worse. The last couple months at work required lifting from bad angles. Laying on back and reaching out, overhead extended to the right pushing and pulling 1" drive ratchets extensions and large sockets. etc. etc.
    Being 53 and working with 25 year olds doesn't help. I mean, we are a bit competitive and we can't let the kids do more than us older folks. Though common sense says we should.

12. bdcochran

bdcochran

Both shoulders. Make sure that you do the physical rehab or you might lose the full rotation afterwards.

13. b8es_

b8es_

I had my rotator cuff done in 97, so it might be a little bit better now. You have to do physical therapy. It took me about six months until I felt pretty stable. About two years later and I was finally to the point where I felt like the surgery wasnt a waste of time. I can bench powerlifting style, but any other pressing movements hurt and mess with my shoulders too much. No overhead pressing.

Mine evidently didnt go as well as others because others dont seem so long to heal and get back to lifting. Who knows.

14. DBradD

DBradD

Hey, what types of things do you do in PT? Movements like mobility drills, working the shoulder through its range of motion in all ways that it can move?

15. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

16. proactive

proactive

I like the pictured external rotations as well as internals (the opposite movement). For me, they are easier to perform either kneeling with a low cable or standing with elastic bands/tubing etc. I used to work them along the transverse plane (parallel to the ground) as a warmup.