close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rotator Cuff. Dammit.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

I ran into my doctor (not my Chiro) this weekend. I described the pain that I am having form my shoulder to my wrist in my right arm. I showed him the range of motion issue when I try to reach behind my back and the pain when lifting a glass.

He wants me to come in, but he told me that I may have a chronic rotator cuff injury.

I am not looking forward to this.:upeyes:

2. RustyShackelford

RustyShackelford > OD Glock 32

Do you do any sort of ROM drills or stretching (Pilates/yoga/etc)?

3. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Sorry man.

I have a right side rotator cuff issue all had to do was stop playing golf. That sucks badly because I had a strong game. But after a few months my arm rarely hurst at all.

My wife has a more severe problem with her right side rotor cuff. Her doc prescribed.

1. Therapeutic massage - it's no fun
    2. A bunch of odd exercises
    3. Stop doing P90X

4. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Once you get the immediate issue resolved, an easy exercise to keep the shoulder girdle in good shape is a turkish get-up. You basically hold a weight overhead while lying on your back and then stand up. Supporting the weight works all the shoulder support muscles and it is a pretty good work-out in itself. There are some specific techniques that make it safe, easy to watch on you-tube. Start with no weight (a "naked" get-up) and work up. I do them with 45 pounds (just a few each work-out). Awesome for rotator cuff health.

Doing a LOT more pull work (pull-ups, rows, etc) instead of press work (bench press, flys) seems to help as well. Lots of folks have very overdeveloped anterior shoulder muscles and very weak posterior ones which unbalances the socket and keeps them from being able to securely seat the joint during exercise.

5. Restless28

Restless28

RS, I do not.

.264, thanks.

Once I injured/aggravated my elbow when I was on a heavy regimen of pullups a few months ago, my right arm has given me fits. I had to stop pullups and pushups too. It took months for the tennis elbow to clear up. Now, my shoulder is giving me fits. I really think the range session a few weeks ago with 12g buckshot aggravated an underlying injury, not to mention lugging heavy stuff from the shore to the boat and back this summer. Even that 50 pound Honda Inverter is a struggle.

I know that I have some sort of mechanical issue going on. When I cannot use my right arm to reach behind my back when showering now indicates I have trouble.

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I fell through a ceiling last September and injured my RC. Had the MRI and it was negative for a tear. Still took a year even with a couple months of PT.

It's 95% better now but still a bit gimpy at times.

7. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

I feel your pain. I'm seeing my Doc today about left rotator cuff pain. I'm hoping for the best but dreading the worst.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  8. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Rotator cuffs are someting that 99% of people completely ignore, even those that do work on their fitness. I have worked on my rotator cuffs for 20+ years, and do excercises for them weekly.

I will hunt the web, and try and find the proper excercises for rotator cuffs, and then post it.

This one is done as depicted, and then in reverse, using a rubber band type training gizmo.

[​IMG]
    This is the same type of excercise, but using free weights. The more important part of these excercises is the reverse motion of both of these excercises. They need to be done very slowly, focusing on negative resistance, which strengthens ligaments and tendons.
    [​IMG]
    Another R.C. exercise I do, showing the type of band to be used....and then you do the reverse of what is pictured. Smoothly and slowly, focusing on the negative resistance.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  9. bgreed

bgreed

Yep TGU, waiter carries are both good for rotator cuff injury prevention and rehab. If you can't do a full get up half get ups will work. Also laying on your back with the lighter weight kettlebell in the press position and do small figure eights.

10. Dinky

Dinky Numpty

Don't wait getting this checked. I am almost at 4 weeks after Total Joint Replacement on my left shoulder. Have better ROM than I have had in 2 years and this is only after a week of PT.

11. Restless28

Restless28

I opened a door today at a business and felt a pop in my shoulder. Strangely enough, it provided relief and gave me bit more range of motion. Weird.

12. fx77

fx77 CLM

Sounds like Impingement syndrome and sub acromial bursitis. U may have popped a bursal adhesion.

13. ca survivor

ca survivor

It took me almost a year to go back to almost normal, go and see the Dr. you will need some physical therapy and exercises at home, good luck.