Rossi Revolvers

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ilgunguygt, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

As the title says, I am looking at some revolvers. Its actually for my wife, who loves 357 magnums. I cant afford a smith, even used in good shape they are pricey. She is adamant that she wants a stainless revolvers. I am looking at a Rossi(one of the new Taurus produced models) with a 6 inch barrel and rubber grips. Overall it seems like a decent revolver.

I dont care for Taurus Semi-Autos but I hear lots of people say that the revolvers arent bad, and specifically that the Rossi line is decent. Can anyone with some hands on experience comment here? Do you or have you owned or shot one? I would love to hear your input.

The revolver I am looking at is here:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_386/products_id/80038
    I dont know if I will get it from buds, or use my local guy. He is usually within about 25-50 dollars of buds shipped price, so I may use him.

What do you think, is it a go or a no go?

2. mangkukhan

mangkukhan

Wouldn't trust a Rossi even as a range gun, rank them below charter arms and taurus. Get yourself a used smith, plenty of them out there for cheap. Not sure why you don't just get yourself a .38spl, they're cheaper for both gun and ammo. More pleasant to shoot, and do the job. You don't need a magnum, people just like to own them. I own dozens of revolvers and the one I shoot most is my model 15 combat master, and I paid $270 for it in 99% condition. Seen two more of them at the local pawn shop for less than $250 each. Buy a S&W and you won't regret it, buy a .38spl and you won't feel under gunned.

3. mangkukhan

mangkukhan

Oh yeah, for what it's worth, if you don't like Taurus keep in mind that Rossi is owned and I believe now made by taurus.

4. ilgunguygt

Its my wifes gun, and she doesnt want a .38, she wants a 357. I appreciate you stepping in to tell me what I do and dont need, but you are wrong. I also appreciate the plug for S&W, but I cannot get into a used smith for less than 350 around here, and that is a 38 special, which is not even in consideration, because my wife wants a 357 magnum, as I said in the first post. She likes the recoil and boom, the same way I do. This is not a self defense gun, its a range toy. Ammo cost doesnt matter to me, I reload for all of my weapons. Most of my handguns have NEVER seen a factory round of ammo.
    So once again, does anyone here have experience shooting or owning a rossi revolver? Not they are made by taurus so they suck! I know all about taurus.

5. just for fun

just for fun

I have a M-85 so lets not go there! My bud bought a snub 605 (taurus) and out of the box it had timing issuses. Quick trip to the factory and all is well. Using 296 instead of 2400 and 125 gr. Gold Dot bullets the recoil "seems"less. Louder YES, but easier to control. Now that Taurus builds Rossi I can finf no fualt with eighter!

6. ilgunguygt

I have heard of issues with them, as with all brands, but I do value personal experience such as yours. Thank you for contributing! I probably will be reloading full power loads(not "hot" though) with 2400, as I use it in my .45 colt loads(Ruger Blackhawk).

7. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

That is correct sir...

8. ilgunguygt

Yeah, I know that. I think it may have been said a few times in this thread. :rofl:

9. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

Yeah, but do they make a good .357 magnum???? :tongueout:

10. LEAD

LEAD

I've heard different about taurus. What I'm told is that their semis work fine, its the revolvers that are not turning out right. More or less the problems that my local shop has encountered are related to the cylinder not properly lining up.

11. ilgunguygt

See, i get told the exact opposite, and my experience with the pt1911 wasnt great. :whistling:

I know I have heard BAC brag on his taurus revolvers, but not the autos, I was hoping he would chime in. Thanks for the post though, the research is the hardest part.

12. Southern Patriot

Southern Patriot

I have a Rossi model 88 that I recently picked up used. It is a 90's edition, the fit and finish of mine is great. The cylinder is tight and seems like a good copy of my S&W 36. I have no problems owning another one if I can find one for a good price.

Personally I have no major problems with Taurus. I have 2 semis that are great.

Good luck, lots of Taurus haters out there......

13. Girevik61

Girevik61

Go with a Ruger, they are built like a Tank.

14. ilgunguygt

She doesnt like the rugers. To be honest, I dont have the money for a ruger either. No used ones around here, and the new ones are over 5 bills.

15. LEAD

LEAD

Ha ha. Yeah, I would opt for a Springfeild or Norinco over a taurus 1911.

To give you a better idea of the source of my information. I spoke to the owner of a gun shop that suprisingly dosn't tend to miss the mark when talking guns. The owner said that he has problems with the revolvers all the time, and hardly ever a problem with autos like the beretta look-a-like.

He dosn't do much in the way of 1911s really he sticks to smiths or springers when he goes that route.

16. ilgunguygt

I went with the RIA 1911 and couldnt have been happier with it. Leaps and bounds over the Taurus.

I am going to go and talk to a couple of the local gunshops that I frequent tonite and see if any of them have been having problems with the Taurus/Rossi revolvers.

17. LEAD

LEAD

IF you look online, you'll find mixed reviews on rossis, but after I looked into them and read what people who owned them said, I lost interest. I like the ruger sp101 that'd be the .357 i'd go with, good price too.

18. FobulousGlock

FobulousGlock

maybe they are plentiful up where you live but there is a snowballs chance in hell of finding a SW for 250 around here. I never understood why people always make it a point to point out SW. we get it. they are great wheel guns but not everyone is willing to pay the cost.