close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ross Enamait or Crossfit for home training?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Maelstrom, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Maelstrom

Maelstrom MiniCapitalist

Hello all,

I am getting back into working out. I used to do quite a bit of weight training back in highschool and college.

I am 28 now and want to get back in shape since I found that being tall allows one to be skinny AND fat at the same time!

Anyway, I like what I have been reading about crossfit and it's increased functionality over just old-school weightlifting/bodybuilding. It's kindof the old freeweights vs machine comparison.

Can anyone compare/contrast crossfit vs Ross's programs? How are they equipment-wise? Crossfit has a daily program on their websites. Does Ross have something similar? I know he has a 50 day schedule in his book but what about after that?

Thanks much.

2. DBradD

DBradD

I've never heard of that other guy, but CF requires a fair amount of equipment long term, but most of the pieces are cheap. CalJack might know better, but I think you could get a good start if you had some way to do pullups and dips plus a jumprope and a typical barbell like you'd see in a gym.

Keep in mind that there are many of the "girls" workouts on the FAQ page that require no equipment past a place to do pushups, bodyweight squats, and pullups. There have been several WoD that I just didn't have the equipment for, so I just went to that page and picked out something else to do.

For the long term, I would want to expand a home gym to also have bumper plates, a nice area to drop the weights, a squat rack that'll spot me, and a back extension frame. Other additions down the road would probably be gymnastics rings, a wall ball target, 20 lb medicine ball, some dumbbells to use when kettlebells (cheaper) are required.

That sounds expensive until you start adding it up and comparing to other types of equipment like StairMasters, etc.

Somewhere on the CF website is a pdf about building a fantastic garage gym, with tips for how to do it cheaper. I looked briefly and couldn't find it, but I know it's there.

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Can't help I know nothing about Ross. Sorry.

4. DBradD

DBradD

I read some about Ross's stuff tonight, for the first time.

Seems like good stuff to me!

Maybe you could try it first and study CF to see if you want to switch over at some point. I doubt you'd be wasting any money. My real motivation is that I want to read your report of the results in a month or two, LOL. :banana: :banana: :rofl:

5. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

If you are looking for a real minimalist approach, I suggest Ross. Most of his workouts can be done with a sandbag, sledgehammer, stuff like that. He has a list of workouts and how to lay them out. Youll have to read the book and do a bit of studying to get his approach down. Although Crossfit claims a minimalist approach, I don't believe that's so. I have a lot of equipment, but I still don't have a lot of stuff Xfit recommends like a climing rope, wall ball target, C2 rower, etc. I end up substituting for those. You can visit Ross's site at rosstraining.com

I have his book "Warrior Training" There's some awesome workouts in there.

I have just started Crossfit back up and am supplementing it with some extra strength work, PTP style (2x5 OHP and 2x5 DL at the end of the metabolic workouts). CalJack and DBrad are both better at Xfit than I am.

6. California Jack

Jack,

I been thinking about the Xfit-PTP approach only with BP and DL, in hopes to someday enter a RAW push-pull meet. How often are you doing your PTP? When are you doing it? On Metcon days? In place of ME days? Rest days perhaps? All of the above?

Keep us posted,
    Jack

7. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

Jack, Right now, I'm doing it on my Met Con days but I'm going to change it up. I did the snatch/pushup CF workout today then tried to do the PTP, I only got the log presses. My body just laughed at the deadlift and said "NO". I think I was already burned out as I did the thruster/pullup workout yesterday, threw in my PTP, and then ran a bit on the treadmill (not long, trust me).

I'm going to try this:

MetCon
    PTP
    Metcon
    Rest
    PTP
    Metcon
    PTP

I think that will work. It is kind of like the Crossfit blackbox approach. I am going to do OHPs and Deadlifts. I want to enter a master's strongman competition late this year, but I'm not nearly strong enough yet. Jack

8. DBradD

DBradD

LOL. Thanks, but I think I'm only good at hurting myself.

BTW, I agree about CF not really being minimalist. It would take a fair amount of money and space to set up the ideal CF gym. A reasonable scaled-down one could probably be set up for $1k, I suppose.

I quickly tallied up everything I could think of yesterday for a complete CF home gym, retail, without any effort at finding the best buy, looking at used, etc., and I came up with about $2k-3k not including a C2 rower.

9. California Jack

Jack,

Could you give us a few examples of Ross Enamait type workouts please?

As far as Xfit and PTP goes (I haven't read PTP in a few years so I'll revisit it before I start) I'm thinking of PTPing 2 to 3 times weekly on what I consider the easier metcon/cardio workouts. I'll probably do the WODs a week late so I can plan better.

Jack

10. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles.html

Here's a link to a few of his workouts so you can get the general idea. Keep in mind that he is focused on boxing, so these are conditioning drills as supplement to boxing. Also, he has specific recommendations for both strength and GPP and how often they should be performed, in conjunction with "skill" training. check out his carry run and puke workout on the link provided. Here's a couple others:
    outdoor conditioning circuit #2

perform 12 burpees
    immediately sprint 100 meters
    perform 10 pylometric pushups
    jog back to the starting point and continue
    repeat 6-10 times

Interval warrior running
    10 minute warm up
    4x400 meter run
    1 min active rest between intervals
    4x200M
    30 seconds of active rest between intervals
    4x100meter
    job back to starting line for active rest
    400M jog (cool down)

He has many many more. One of the more difficult would be extreme burpee shouldering. perform the first part of the burpeee, shoulder a 100 lb. sandbag, rotate 180, stand up with it. Repeat.

11. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

Cal Jack, Yeah, that might be the best way to combine PTP and Xfit, still allowing for rest. I like to follow one cycle behind on the Xfit so I can work my rest in a little better.

12. California Jack

Thanks for both posts Jack. I saw one workout on Ross' site called Carry, Run, Press and Puke that looked interesting.

As far as Xfit WoDs and PTP, I won't start untile I can routinely knock out the Wods in decent times.

13. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

That would probably take me forever then! I am going to try for the shortcut to see if it works. Basically, substitute PTP on ME days for whatever ME lift is recommended.

CalJack or DBrad, any prediction for tomorrow's WOD? If I don't care for what is posted, I think I am going to do Helen. I did my PTP this morning, so I"m ready for some Metcon work.

14. DBradD

DBradD

Prediction? LOL.

No clue!

I'll probably be subbing something anyway because my shoulder's getting worse from doing 3x10 pushups and 3x5 pullups during the CFWU. I think I'm going to have to go to a doctor to see what's up.

15. DBradD

DBradD

I think we have an insider!!

Tuesday 070116
    "Helen"

Three rounds for time:
    Run 400 meters
    1 1/2 pood Kettlebell X 21 swings (or 55 pound dumbbell swing)
    12 Pull-ups

Post time to comments.

16. California Jack

Jack's middle name must be Glassman. LOL

Hewlen sucks for me, we have about 4" of solid is covering everything. I guess it'll be 400's on the treadmill than run down the stair and out to the garage for the rest of it.

17. DBradD

DBradD

I think Glassman is right! What are the chances of guessing that one? I wonder if there's a pattern with a longer period that we wouldn't notice because we've only been around for part of a cycle.

I can't do pullups tomorrow, so I'll think of something else.

18. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

LOL! I'm as shocked as you guys are! I guess we were just ready for Helen, at least I was! I usually do it on the treadmill cause I have a bad hamstring but I'm off work this morning, so I'll probably try and do it outside.

19. DBradD

DBradD

Jack W. (umm, I mean Coach): What's tomorrow's workout? I'm never gonna believe it was a guess if you predict 2 in a row! We haven't done Diane in a while.

Hey CalJack, how 'bout subbing jumprope for 400m runs? That would save you from running all over creation between exercises. I've done that before and I'd say it's a fair trade. At first, I thought it was uncool because I couldn't really record my time, but then I figured that my 400m splits are usually almost equal anyway. I expect to do this a lot after I graduate and we have a more permanent place to set up a good gym.

20. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

OK, I'll go out on a limb and say Tabata intervals. If not that, then a pullup ladder.

Took me 30 minutes to limp through Helen this morning. Actually, I wasn't too unhappy with that since it seems the SLDLs that I've been doing have helped my hamstring and enabled me to run a bit better.