Roseburg Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Roland-G23, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

Since one hasn't been started, I'll go ahead and start it......

This was my 4th year shooting at Roseburg. My friend Shawn and I drove down from Albany early this morning to arrive before 9AM.

The weather was normal for Oregon - wet. But, it stopped raining before the match started, and by noon or so it was clearing up pretty good. The drive home was much nicer.

The match didn't seem as crowded (weather maybe?) this morning. Once we got our scoresheets (No fancy-schmancy electronic scoring here, Chris said he didn't want to lug 80 lbs. of gear all the way across the country) delivered to all the stages, we went to shoot the side stages (1 plate rack, 1 IPSC) to warm up for the event. As usual, the Umpqua Practical Shooters had a fun IPSC stage setup using NRA D-1 targets. It would be interesting to see what the High Hit Factor turns out to be. My name was on the board in 4th & 5th place when we left.

After five well-spent dollars on the plate stage (2 strings for a buck), I went to shoot the Glock 'M'. I shot my Competition entry first, and my Amateur Civilian entry second throughout the match.

I ran the G34 through the 'M' in 32.95 with 2 D's and 3 C's, and the G17 through at 30.49 with 2 C's and 3 D's. Not a great way to start the match by any means.

I moved on to the Glock the Plates and shot a clean match on the plates for the 1st time ever! 19 seconds flat with the G34 with 1 string at 3.68. I was pretty nervous, as I've never cleaned the whole stage with the G17, I've always managed to leave 1 or 2 standing (or worse). I just made sure I got my hits, and didn't try to shoot fast. I ended up turning in a 18.81 with pretty consistent runs. I was off to the IPSC fun stage before going on to shoot the 5 to Glock. I was very happy with my plate runs, this was turning out to be a good day despite the sloppiness I shot the 'M' with.

I tried to settle down for the last stage, as the 5 to Glock just eats me alive every year. I've had terrible results, usually several D's. I ran the G34 through in 31.25 with 2 C's and 3 D's. I was ready to finish the match, and go shoot the fun stages some more, and then one of my mags decided to give up the ghost on my first string with the G17. I then proceeded to turn in a 38.08 with 5 C's and 5 D's. Not a stellar way to end the match. :(

I sat down and calculated my scores, and I shot a 118.20 in Competition (my best score ever), and a 141.38 in Amateur Civilian (my best Amateur score ever). Stopped by the armorer's table and chit-chatted with Chris and Glen, and got some new mag springs, while my friend had his GSSF model 17 checked out. They replaced the spring-loaded bearing for his LCI extractor. Notice I didn't mention Shawn's shooting? He didn't shoot a great score, but he had fun, and that's what this is all about isn't it?

As usual, the Roseburg match is a whole lot of fun, friendly staff, and a beautiful setting. The drawback of the day was driving home and hearing that President Reagan passed away. ;? RIP Mr. President.

Hi to Trey and Bruce, nice chatting with you guys. Try and come shoot at Albany some this year!

2. Trey

Trey

I had fun Ro'ing Sat. AM. It always fun to see the regulars come through and help the new(er) shooters.

I was worried about the day as my first shooter thought he didn't have to show clear and ignored the final range commands. After showing him the sheet with the commands, I noticed Chris Edwards standing there
    and he took over explaining the reasons for, and that you MUST clear the gun correctly. What perfect timing!

There is something about our (newer) plate racks that gives alot of people fits. I think it's because the bottom bar is much taller than the practice plates version. It might mess up their vision/aim.

It was fun seeing Brian and he did have a smoking plate run. It was also nice to see him (and Shawn) show excellent/safe gun handling.

Brian, I'll be in Bend next week for the points match and at the Single stack match in July. Maybe you'll have your new gun by then and you can kick my butt! ;f

Congrats on your personal best in competition! ;c ;c ;c

3. Guest

3 out of 5 of the guys made the trip from Salem this year for our anual Roseberg GSSF match.

I had to shoot one handed, so that was a bit of a challenge, but I did alright. The other two guys on our team did most of the work. They were shooting quite nicely, and I hope we did well enough to place this year in the Am/Civ team group.

I was having a bad day on the warm up plates getting used to shooting one handed. I left one plate up after 10 shots. Glad it was the warm up, not the match!

I have mixed emotions about the match, on the one hand (no pun intended) I had to realy slow down to shoot it one handed, but on the other I shot the match with no "Mikes". I usualy have one or two on the "M", or 5-to glock, but this time I got more "A's" than "D's".

My friends all joked about how well I was doing, and said I should shoot ALL the matches that way. HAHAHA...hey wait a min, that is NOT FUNNY! (LOL)

The R/O's Were FANTASTIC as usual, and the match went smoothly. I noticed a smaller turn out than in years past, but it was nice not to have to wait to shoot. I do not mind waiting, the time spent with friends both old, and new is one of the best things about shooting the GSSF matches.

I hope everyone had a good time, and shot well.

Once again it was a FANTASTIC job by all the GSSF staff, and the R/O's.

Team: Oregon Security Training. Good work my friends, and thank you for your dedication.

Respectfully,

4. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

Well I had an average match for me. I did OK on some stages and stunk on others. I was real inconsistant. I need more practice on trigger control as all my misses are low but dead center. I am sure I am jerking the trigger or anticipating recoil. It's a bad habit I need to fix.
    I ROed Sat. afternoon at the 5 to Glock and it was dead. There didn't seem to be many shooters this year. I was there on Sunday as well and the crowd seemed small. Got to see Chris Edwards shoot a steel plate at 210 yards with a Glock 37 in .45 GAP. It took him about 5 tries but he hit the 2' by 3' steel plate using a prone shooting position.
    As usual the match was a lot of fun and I had a good time.
    Was good to see Roland G23 (Brian) and I hope to get down to Albany to start shooting IPSC matches. I got my safety check this past weekend and have the card, now I just need to shoot my first match with a coach walk through. If you could Brian e mail me at: prtc101@hotmail.com and let me know when you guys shoot and how to get there to the range in Albany. Hope to hook up with you someday and shoot a match. Bruce

5. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

This was the same weekend as the Area 1 3Gun Championships over in Bend, so I'm sure a number of would-be GSSF competitors were over there either shooting it or working it.

I also expect that the forecasted bad weather may have played a part in not having a high turnout.

6. TOULME

TOULME

This was my FIRST outside GSSF match. I have shot in three of the League matches (indoors). Roseburg was a real HOOT. I used my G17 in Amateur Civilian and my G37 in the Competition. I think I even hit some of the targets some of the time!! I took a few pictures and will post as soon as I reduce their size good for the web. Thank you everyone for a fun and safe match....

7. Farmer

Farmer

This was my first time in Roseburg. I shot Sunday having to drive down from Port Orchard, WA on Saturday evening. I shot far but had some real problems for some reason in the plate with both my G37 (Ameteur Civilian) and G23C (Competition). It is always a pleasure seeing Glenn Wisser. I even got to fire off a clipload out of the G18C what a blast that was. I thought the range and all the people at Roseburg were great I plan on going again next year. Hope to see some of you all in Coeur d'Alene.