Rose of Sharon

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MrsKitty, Jul 15, 2007.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I spotted this today while I was shooting something else with the kit lens.
    It really renewed my lusting for a true macro lens.

As always, shot in RAW and the only PP was converting to JPEG.

[​IMG]

ISO 100
    f/5.6
    1/80

2. jm_usmc

jm_usmc Two eagles

Beautiful flower.

It looked underexposed to me, but after looking at the histogram I don't think you could bring it up without blowing out the white. Good job.

ETA: How did you get the exposure?

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

If you are asking what I think, manual. If that's not what you mean, rephrase. :supergrin:

It was fairly deep into the shadows. I really dislike flash so I just tried and hoped for the best. Since I was wide open, I couldn't change that and a slower speed was blowing out. Raising ISO might have helped but I thought I would get some noise and risk loosing all detail in the white.

I have tried understanding histograms but overall, I can't make heads or tails of how to read one from image to image. I know overall, you want it spread out but that changes depending on the shot.

4. jm_usmc

jm_usmc Two eagles

My question was how did you determine what to set the aperture and shutter speed at? Did you zoom in and use the camera to meter the white? Bracket the standard exposure? Shoot, chimp (look at the screen), adjust settings, repeat?

I ask because I have the same camera and I probably wouldn't have gotten this shot to turn out as well.

As for histograms have you read the articles at luminous landscape (HERE )?

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Ah, gotcha! I metered off the flower.

I rarely chimp. I shoot in RAW almost exclusively and I have my in-camera perimeters set to b/w. When I shoot JPEG, it is b/w obviously but when shooting in RAW, I can chimp and if the white is blown it flashes so I can tell at a glance. I rarely chimp but that does come in handy sometimes.

I read that before but the problem is I cannot connect what it says to what *I* am doing. It took me over a year to grasp manual settings and when I did, it hit me all at once. I figure the histograms will do the same someday.

Playing with IR has made me see how it applies to me a little bit more. It will become clear one day.

6. MrsCallahan318

MrsCallahan318 Guest

I was told by a professional photographer that if you want a clear, precise picture (depending on what you are doing of course) you want most of your 'spikes' on your histogram to be mostly in the center. I hope that helps clear up some of that mud for you. Personally I don't use the histograms. I was taught to take the picture at face value and to learn from your mistakes... in other words, make sure that it isn't overexposed or too dark in the areas you want clear and defined. (I was taught by someone who used 35mm so histograms weren't even an option at that point in time.) I love the picture!

7. fellow14

fellow14 The Member

I don't read histograms and like misskitty I went nuts trying to figure out just WTF the people that write the "how-to" articles were babbling about. Like her I just couldn't connect it. I chimp like crazy, why? Because it works for me.