close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Room for one more GTer in Louisiana ??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geofri, Oct 21, 2012.

1. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Excuse my topic deviation, but the old 200 Honda 3-wheeler is in the top three of the most reliable and trouble free ATV ever to roam this planet...

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I still ***** about the lack of humidity and how much "dry heat" sucks all these years later :rofl:

3. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

And Tantrix/La wins again!!!
    This time by decision.

4. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

what happened to "oh, it's a different kind of heat.. not like that high humidity stuff"

:rofl:

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

And they'd still be making them if it wasn't for the government.

I grew up on those things. God but we had some fun.

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

's bullcrap, like being in a damn oven. Dry eyes, dry mouth, dusty.... Ugh.

7. geofri

When I went on a hiking trip in NM, man.. chapped lips, sinuses felt like they would crack, and yeah.. the dust! Drunk water like a camel!

8. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

The only ATV's I will buy are 1987 or older Honda 3-wheelers.

:rofl:

Well, more like the sue-happy idiots...then of course the government soon followed.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  9. 77Bronc

77Bronc

I have lived here all of my life, college degree from LSU, best damn university there is...excellent job working for THE major oil company, getting ready to retire in next 18 months....my wife is full blooded Cajun girl....

The tax base is great, the auto insurance is insane, the hurricanes can be a pain and the heat in the summer brutal....I love it here.

Louisiana is a way of life....in my business I travel a lot and I have been all over the country and parts of the world, but after being gone for a few days, I really miss the place....like many have replied, the food is the best there is period....what some places pass for "Cajun" food should be against the law...

Very gun friendly state, special amendment on November 6 that will hopefully provide a barrier from more bull**** government gun control laws...I dont know all of the details, but will do more reading this weekend....

If you have kids, need to consider private schools unless you are in St. Tammany parish...reasonable gas prices....Mardi Gras can be fun....

10. NOLA_glock

NOLA_glock Shrug Life

The best part is when you go outside in the mid 70s and get all sweaty from the humidity.:tongueout:

We're sticky people, here.

And yes, N.O. is dangerous, with TONS of panhandling homeless at intersections and tourist hotspots, violent crime, drugs, and trashy people in general (especially the tourists and semi-local tourists if you're in the Vieux Carré). It's also the kind of place I like -- not for those reasons, obviously. I love lots of things about New Orleans despite its flaws. As tantrix said, every city has many of the same problems.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with not liking cities, and I'd think no matter what your thing is, you'll love it here.

Maybe tantrix can give you the breakdown of the Creole/Acadian/redneck parts of the state.:tongueout:

ETA: I'll give another nod to our food. Some people don't know it, but Cajun and Creole cooking are two distinct styles, and both are fantastic. You'll be spoiled rotten.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  11. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Creole will be mostly NOLA, with some in Marksville and also Natchitoches. Cajun will be West of New Orleans all the way to the TX border (and even into SE Texas), and also in Marksville. Redneck will be pretty much everyone else who isn't of Cajun or Creole decent, usually the entire Northern part of the state...North of I-10 is a good measuring stick.

Yep.

Anything Creole is mostly tomato based and spicier, Cajun is roux based (usually a dark thin roux) and less spicy but with more flavor. I prefer Cajun style cuisine, but I do occasionally cook Creole dishes like Shrimp Creole.

Here's a pic of my last Shrimp Creole...notice the red coloring from the tomato base:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  12. noway

noway

Cajun are typically more country like and made from simpler food items but not necessary bad tasting foods.

Creole ( which is I ) are city based food with more richer ingredients but not always the best tasty depending on how it's cook. NOLA is pretty much what we call Creole Food and most of that area and the surrounding areas are Creole based foods. Until you get way past Baton Rouge and farther down I10 corridor is Cajun country as I call it.

If you stray too far north of I10 , then you ought to be in Arkansas or Mississippi ( hope I spelled it right ) ;)

You typically will NOT find true Cajun foods out side Cajun country and almost zero in NOLA. Most people outside LA has no clue what Creole or Cajun is. Goes back to, just because it's written down as Cajun or Sprinkle with red-pepper or creole seasoning, don't make it Cajun or Creole.

13. geofri

I sent ya a PM prying for more details :wavey:

I'd sure like to see what it's all about(N.O.), but really just doesn't attract me. Seems like it would be pretty cool to be able to take guests out on the weekend to see the city, and its attractions, or heck, just to get out myself now and then.

This swamp thing though... I think I want that. :cool:

This food stuff is getting out of hand. :rofl: I'm gonna have to get a list of restaurants and verify their authenticity with you guys before dining there!

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

As bad as a lot of Nola can be there are also some awesome things there if you know where to look. It's a certain lifestyle and tempo that I've not seen anywhere else.

15. BEER

BEER bad example

i can tell you from first hand experience that the pappadeux's seafood chain does NOT serve true creole food. i made the horrible mistake once of ordering a "creole" dish in front of true creole girl once and she damned near taught me a whole different lesson in knife fighting on the spot. then a couple of weeks later she showed me what true creole food was all about and i realized my poor little pansy texan stomach wasn't meant form such things.

them weirdos are a little TOO in love with their spices.

by the way, 'blackened" don't mean burnt.

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Just so u know beer, if they blacken it inside it ain't really blackened. You can't do it right in the house.

17. BEER

BEER bad example

to be honest for my delicate pallate you can't do it "right" anywhere. lol

i like yall, love your state, and if the world ever truly goes ass over tea kettle i'll most likely wind up in yall's swamps, but i'll wind up eating my food raw cause i just can not handle the majority of yall's food. lol

18. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

So why is it every thread about Lousiana end up being about food?

Oh wait, that's a good thing! :rofl: :rofl:

19. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Handle it? I eat seafood 7 days a week! :supergrin:

20. BEER

BEER bad example

no no sir, you mistake me. i love seafood, but i love it where i can taste the actual seafood and not 9 metric tons of spices, seasonings and god only knows what else. and when i eat shrimp i want to taste just shrimp and not shrimp, gator, crab, anus scorching corn, onions, mudbug brains, and whatever else you happen to have leftover in the fridge that night. lol

any one of those things alone is fine, but so far i've yet to eat anything over there that was just any 1 critter at a time. lol