Romney on SCOTUS vote

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by hogship, Sep 24, 2020.

1. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

(I am starting this discussion on what I think I heard, so if there is alternative viewpoints/information, bring them on.)

I heard Mitt Romney speaking on the radio a short time ago, and from what I heard, he spoke favorably about Barbara Lagoa.

Romney has never said he will vote to affirm a Trump SCOTUS nominee.......but, only said he would not oppose having a senate vote. Take this as you will, but if the nominee doesn't meet with his approval, he very well may vote against confirmation.

Given the above, I think Trump will have to nominate Barbara Lagoa, as a priority over Amy Barrett......

This is OK with me, but it looks like Romney will ultimately be the one to choose who Trump picks for the SCOTUS.

:alex:

2. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Amy Barrett will have a SCOTUS seat, sooner or later. I'm confident with that.
    At this point, it's not about the WHAT and the WHO, it's about the WHEN.

We will get 2, may be more, appointments in the next few years.

It's about the logistics of appointments, about how to get the best bang, for each move at the right time. Timing is everything here. Qualification is no longer an issue here.

As several of us have pointed out, Lagoa is the best move at this point in time.

Don't be so fast to give Romney any credit. We said Lagoa here before Romney ever said so. It's a good move outside of Romney and Utah. It's a good move to solidify Florida, Texas, and other southern states.

My only reservation is if we have confirmation vote before the Nov 3rd, it may relax the electorate from turning the house, keeping the senate and the presidency.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    NoJoy, Lt. Donn and hogship like this.

3. hogship

The question I struggle with, is the WHY Romney would favor Lagoa over Barrett....:dunno:

Romney is a RINO, we all know that.....so, by what criteria does he favor Lagoa over Barrett?????

Maybe there isn't one, but I see a possible red flag here.....

4. Duramaxsky

Duramaxsky

Lagoa is still a unknown. Roberts was a horrible pick. We don't need to risk another one of those.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

5. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Lagoa is Latino and is also Hispanic. Utah has 14% Hispanic in its population. May be that's the portion of voters Romney is weak in. Romney was born in Mexico and may he was well taken care of by a Hispanic babysitter. I've always got the impression that he is fond of those early years. Strictly my guess.

El Pistolero and hogship like this.
  6. El Pistolero

El Pistolero bene vivere Silver Member

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    I concur with the above. I don’t trust Mitt Romney one bit, his hatred for President Trump is strong but the fate of our Republic is in great peril at this point in time. We need a good strong Conservative SCOTUS and another term for our President. If this happens then when can hold our position in our battle with the radical leftwing.

Fred Florist, n2g and hogship like this.
  7. TeaDub

TeaDub

To me, Lagoa occupies the same place that Barrett did when the last SCOTUS seat was to be filled.

I have not seen any history documenting her actual views on any issue (especially the 2nd Amendment) other than "people" describing her as "conservative". Jeb Bush appointed her to the FL bench. As @Duramaxsky just pointed out, I'd really like to see some solid history before wasting this seat.

IMO, too many of us assume we'll get 2 more picks. Perhaps. No one is guaranteed tomorrow. The last pick was too big a compromise IMO. I'd rather not do it again.

8. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

Whether it will be Barrett or Lagoa depends in large part on the answer to the question: which one helps Trump's reelection chances the most?

Fred Florist and hogship like this.
  9. hogship

.....and whether there will be confirmation.....

10. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

I don't trust Romney to do anything. He's a snake in the grass, out for his own political hide. I honestly think he has delusions of running for president again.

11. marchboom

marchboom

Romney is just trying to show everyone that he has power and will control the POTUS. He is like a kid on the playground. " Do what I say or I'll take my ball and go home"

What a POS.

12. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

I believe Romney has children involved in foreign corporations pulling down big bucks that if it went public, would be embarrassing (Like Biden's kids on Chinese and Ukrainian corp boards- making millions doing nothing except be the child of an influential senator, VP, congresscritter, whatever), you know, the DC shuffle.

Agonizer, nursetim and hogship like this.
  13. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Well I have absolutely no control over who will be selected, so I now don't care!

14. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

Answer to your first point is he is a DICK and also hates Trump. Second could be, IMO, is that she isn't Trump's first pick (see point 1 above) but she has some compelling (again IMO) qualities that wouldn't make her a bad pick. Third, see points 1 & 2 above.

hogship likes this.
  15. hogship

Of course you do.......unless you don't vote. :faint:

NoJoy likes this.
  16. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Barrett as been more thoroughly vetted and has more experience, a real track record. She's been prominently on the list for years and it's clearly her turn. Either nominate her now or forget her forever. Don't give Mitt veto power for political expediency.

hogship, TeaDub, nursetim and 2 others like this.
  17. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

Pierre Delecto the quisling should stop poking the President. It will eventually come back to hurt him. But RINOs gonna RINO.

NoJoy, hogship and nursetim like this.
  18. Cambo

Cambo

No, it won't hurt him. Utah voters will keep putting him in office, no matter what he does. Just like Arizonans who kept putting John McCain in. Just like New Jerseyans who keep child rapist Bob Menendez in.

NoJoy, Agonizer, hogship and 2 others like this.
  19. fx77

fx77 CLM

Don;t think his pick will help him in FL
    I do not know if Lagoa can be trusted for textural purity in the constitution's interpretation
    there is already a female Hispanic on the court

With Barret it is a home run wrt textural adherence..she is described as the female Scalia..which is enough for me.
    Trump cannot afford to be screwed like was Bush with Souter...

20. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

I think Romney will only get this one term. Utah voters have given him a mid 60's disapproval rating recently. Time will tell.