close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rome: Total War (historical)(RTS/TBS)

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by DesertEagle, Aug 26, 2004.

1. DesertEagle

DesertEagle OH HELL MY HEAD CLM

For any of you who like historical games, check out Rome: Total War. Demo is out now, full game coming about this time next month. It looks incredible (I'll post some screenie's later, after I get home tonight)!

The game is obviously based on the rise and fall of rome, the main campaign will be covering I believe about 250BC->64AD, although the historical single battles can fall within a larger timeframe.

The way it works is that there is a campaign map, where you play basically a big, turn based, 3d version of Risk, where you build units in cities, and then manuveur your armies around the map.

When two army's meet, the game goes to a 3d territory map that reflects the campaign map where the armies met (ie if there's a river on the campaign map and the units are east/west, that is how the battle map will be set up). Then you fight!

The demo only includes a tutorial on the controls and basics of command, and then the battle of Trebia in 218 BC where you command the portion of Hannibal Barca's troops that made it successfully over the Alps against some Roman units of Hastatii, Velites, Principes, and Triarii.

D.E.

2. DesertEagle

Okay, picture 1:

My Poeni Infantry, Cretian Archers, and Iberian Infanty are lined up, awaiting the Roman advance

3. DesertEagle

Picture 2:
    My Poeni Infantry assume the position! The Phalanx Position that is, ready to repel all boarders.

4. DesertEagle

Pic 3:
    My Cretian Archers release their bowstrings, sending a hail of flaming arrows at the Roman dogs!

5. DesertEagle

Pic 4:

The Roman Triarii stand there, and become pincushions. Some arrows are deflected by shields, and can be seen flying off into nowhere, while most of the volley hits but does little damage.

Two charred bodies can be seen at the back right of the unit, while several casualties to non-flaming arrows stick out their feet from the front left of the formation.

6. DesertEagle

Pic 5:

The Triarii quickly realize that waiting for me to come to them is not such a good idea, and decide to take their chances charging my Poeni Infantry despite their waiting pike-points.

Here we see the "meat grinder" of a Phalanx in action, even as more arrows soar overhead. The order and discipline of Rome's Legions (although these are Pre-Marian-reform legions) are completely useless when faced by a wall of sharp pointy things ;f Although one genius does try and flank them, a Poeni puts down his pike to draw his sword and engage in personal 1-on-1 combat. Well actually if you look close, 2-1 combat ;f

7. Malkuth

Malkuth Defend Freedom

Cant wait.

Have STW, And MTW. Loved MTW fun as hell.

Just tried the Napolian Era Mod... And well its fun but kinda boring. Just line up you troops and hope they shoot better.

Nothing like A Sword fight, with spears, horses and carnage.

8. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

If you want Napoleon style stuff that is well done, get Sid Meier's Civil War (the big one with the Antietam campaign). Its been out a while so you should be able to find it cheap...great game.

9. Malkuth

Malkuth Defend Freedom

GONE GOLD BABY.

Expect it around the 23 or so. :) Oh the pain.

10. DesertEagle

I'm drooling in anticipation. I've got it on preorder, so I will get an answering machine message when the store is ready to give me my copy.

D.E.