Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > Roman Catholic Bibles

Roman Catholic Bibles

1. I REALLY don’t this to be any sort of religious screed.

I am simply looking for a good Roman Catholic Bible. I know that there are many of us on this forum that are Roman Catholic.

Send me a PM if it may be inappropriate to give a suggestion on a public forum.

2. Thrift shop.

Good luck with that!

One can find a King James Bible just about anywhere here in the U.S.

Yes. even in a flea market.

Oddly, despite the fact that the Church of Rome is arguably the largest Christian body in North America, a good Roman Catholic Bible can’t hardly be found anywhere.

Definitely not in a flea market.

I don’t understand why Roman Catholic bibles are so hard to find; especially in English, since the Roman Church is so largely represented here.

As a Catholic, this is so extremely frustrating.

3. They have them for a dollar at my local “family dollar”

4. Hispanic neighborhood? I can see that.

Perhaps a Spanish version of the Gideon Bible? Nothing at all wrong with thar.

Please be aware that I am a very well educated, amd desire a true Catholic Bible.

Maybe the Revised Standard Version (Catholic Edition?).

I actually wouldn’t mind having the Rheims-Douay Bible.

Sort of a Roman Catholic version of the King James Bible.

5. OV1, Try Ignatius Press on-line. For a good Catholic study Bible I recommend the New Jerusalem version, well annotated with lots of explanatory information.

6. Whats the difference between the kjv and roman bible?

7. Have you considered just going to a catholic church and asking?

8. [​IMG]

9. Been to any major hotel lately?
    The Gideons.....

10. The more accurate question is what’s the difference between a Protestant Bible and a Roman Bible? The simple answer is there are different books in the Roman Bible that Protestants reject as inspired Scripture. Thus the Protestant Bibles, do not contain said books.

11. Any christian bookstore should have one. My preference is the Douey-Riems version.

12. Seven books were deleted from the Protestant Bible.

13. The reason is that the Catholic Church doesn’t want you reading the Bible and interpreting it yourself. That is what the church is for, to tell you what it says. Very dangerous for lay people to think on their own.

That is what I was taught in a catholic school in Chicago circa 1950’s.

14. You can download one online.

15. Yup, ever since Martin Luther went off the reservation, the Vatican has been a little touchy about things like that.

16. The Catholic Church has never been a big fan of lay people studying scripture. It was for priests to explain. My children all had twelve years of Catholic education and scripture wasn't a real part of that. They also didn't allow mass in the language of the people until 1962. They were about 400-years behind Luther on the language part.

17. Peace be with you.

The New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE) is approved by the US Counsel of Catholic Bishops. https://www.usccb.org/offices/new-american-bible/approved-translations-bible

https://www.npr.org/2011/03/06/134307769/U-S-Catholic-Church-Rolls-Out-New-Bible-Translation

I’ve bought them on Amazon.

The Word Among Us https://wau.org/ puts out a monthly magazine with the daily readings and a one page homilyish/reflection write up To go with the readings. I believe the catholic reading are on a 3-year cycle so after three years you get through what the church considers important. This is part of my nightly routine.

Buoyboy

18. Not only are there seven extra books, there are also extra books and verses in some of the books that Protestant Bibles contain, especially Daniel All the extra books and chapters are in the Old Testament. The Catholic New Testament is essentially the same as Protestant Bibles.

And for you don't change the KJV people, the KJV has been changed numerous times since the original 1611 version came out. The last major change was when the extra books from the Roman Catholic Bible were removed from the KJV. That happened sometime in the 1700s, if I remember correctly.

During the first 20 years or so after the KJV came out there, were also numerous changes made to it. The authors of the KJV never made any claim to be inspired, despite what lot of people today believe.

The extra books and chapters are considered valuably to study, even if they aren't conical. Actually some of them are quite interesting and provide extra Biblical information about what happened during the 400 years that the Protestant Bible goes silent, between the Old Testament and the New Testament.

BTW I'm not Roman Catholic, I just study the Bible a lot.

19. The book of Enoch which you won't find in any Bible is an interesting read.

20. Yes.

But realize there are many good reasons Enoch didn't make it into the Bible.

There are a large number of books which didn't make it into either the Old testament or New Testament. They are available online or in many good Bible book stores. I have several volumes of these type books.

But most of these books are trash, especially the Gnostic books. And I wouldn't recommend most people reading them, unless you are exceptionally well grounded in the faith and the Bible.

21. There are four (4) Biblical readings at every Mass.

The churches I’ve attended for the last 30 years have had adult religious education programs for several months out the year which encourages Biblical based religious study.

22. Amazon. New American Catholic Bible. Lots of them.

23. A lot of fake info in this thread about the RC Church.

My wife teaches Bible study at church - 90 minute weekly classes, fall and spring. No priest or nuns involved. Over the years they have covered Matthew, Luke, Acts, James, Peter, Isaiah, Revelations, the Bible time line and a few other chapters.

Yes, lay Catholics read the Bible and have lively discussions as to what it all means.

24. From the actual Wiki article itself:

There is no record of any discussion of the biblical canon at the council.[76] The development of the biblical canon was nearly complete (with exceptions known as the Antilegomena, written texts whose authenticity or value is disputed) by the time the Muratorian fragment was written.[77]

And Wiki is no authority on Church History. Don’t just parrot the typical secularist argument about the canon which is just bad history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Never said they didn't. Many do including me. Attended Catholic schools, attended mass regularly (even some weekdays) and raised and educated my children in the faith. Scandals in the church led me to study Christian denominations and I find myself now more aligned with the Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod) and its teachings. My children never studied the Bible in school during 12-years of Catholic education. They did receive a fine education. They studied the Catechism of the Catholic Church not scripture. I didn't say Catholics don't read the Bible.

Sola Scriptura, Sola Gratia, Sola Fides

26. Who wrote these books and why were they even written? Just curious, why do you put a lot of time studying the bible? Are you in the ministry?

27. Ebay has lots of bibles. I have this from 9th grade. Copyright 1963. Has lots of footnotes.

upload_2020-8-15_13-16-55.png

28. Let me know if you want this one:

619195270.jpg

6"x9" (3" thick).

Just had it offered to me this morning by friends who know I'm a biblical languages guy who also likes to have one of every translation. I'll have it in hand tomorrow, but I don't need this one.

PM if you want it. Otherwise it will eventually find its way to a prison ministry with a box of other bibles.

29. IBTL

280B0CF1-2D3A-45DC-85E9-113EC58A773D.jpeg

30. Your movement towards the Lutheran church is a lot like a friend of mine. Long time Catholic from a Catholic family. Now in a Lutheran church.

31. Ask your local Catholic Church or a member of the Knights of Columbus.

32. I bought one off of Amazon a few years ago. They don't sell it anymore or I would link it. I am not a church goer but doesn't the house of prayer have some to sell or give to those that want to read the good word?

33. When I rededicated my life in 1987, I developed an intense desire to know more about the Christian faith. Today I have a fairly extensive (for a non professional) library of Bible reference books and various Bibles. Today I'm also a Deacon in my church and I lead an adult Sunday School class.

The false Old Testament books were written by various people who wanted to try to get some claim to fame by writing something religious. In the New Testament period the same thing happened, but mostly by Gnostics in the N.T. The Hebrew people put together the list of Old Testament books.

The extra O.T. books in the Catholic Bible are some of the more trustworthy old books, but still not conical. They are interesting to read; and especially for those interested in the period between the Testaments, I recommend them. Although there is much in them that does not pertain to the period between the Testaments. And there is some stuff that is questionable, but not much.

Most people don't know that the final list of 27 books we know today as the New Testament weren't agreed on until about AD 375 or so the best I can remember without looking it up. Back then books of the New Testament were written to circulate around the Church's of that day by the early Church leaders. But a lot of false books were also written during that time frame by people who claimed to know what they were doing.

By about AD 125 there were a list of about 21 or 22 books of what we today know as the New Testament; that most Churches possessed. One Church might have a few other books that other Churches didn't have. That list frequently included some Gnostic or other false teachings as well at that Church. So there was no universally agreed on Canon for a long time.

So finally late in the AD 300s a big Church conference was called to settle what books belonged in the New Testament. They came up with the list of 27 we use today, in both the Protestant and Roman Catholic Bibles.

Although some people still argue about some of the N.T. books. For instance Luther wanted the book of James removed from the N.T. And he published his Bible with it moved to a separate section in the back of his Bible.

34. Ha-Ha. I remember my maternal Grandmother would comment about something cheaply cobbled together as "That will last as long as Martin Luther did in Heaven". I still use the same expression today if I have the right audience.

And the Nuns taught us that Lutherans are all going to the hot place. They wouldn't have lied to us.

35. I use the Vulgate. I am not Roman Catholic or Catholic of any form or persuasion , but an evangelical Christian who loves to study Latin.
    I am impressed at how well the Vulgate follows Scripture and really, I study it because I don't know Hebrew and most likely never will, but the Vulgate is a direct translation of the Hebrew Bible.

36. Our oldest son (a Roman Catholic) is a devout Bible studier. My wife is Roman Catholic.

For about 20 years I studied the Bible with my wife at our local Roman Catholic Church, because it was the best Bible study I could find. Most of the studies were led by the Priest, a Catholic Deacon, or some very knowledgable lay leaders.

When we came to a disagreement on the Catholic interpretation of certain verses, I stated my opposition and they gave their view. We understood each other, and never got disagreeable about it.

Same thing with many Roman Catholic 'traditions' that I strongly disagree with. I'm not Roman Catholic, but I believe the devout ones are just as 'saved' as many Protestants. I also believe both faiths have people who are going to be in for a big unpleasant surprise at Judgement Day.

37. I also intense desire to study the bible and currently in course with EMMAUS bible college. Right now in Galatians.

38. "I believe the devout ones are just as 'saved' as many Protestants."
    What do you consider "saved"? Trusting in the LORD alone for your salvation or a combination of works and faith?

39. ^^^ BSA Too long to get into a detailed discussion. But it takes both as well as a personal relationship with Jesus and dedication to do the best job of following Jesus that you can.

See Matthew 7:21-23 for starters.

40. We have two Catholic Stores in my area. I always try to shop at them to give business. If I can’t find what I am looking for, I can always find it online.

While the men in the Church are worthy of criticism, the idea that Catholics don’t read the Bible is untrue. In fact, most churches have bible studies.

41. Yeah, but you can touch the host and face the altar during mass now, so...

42. The St Jerome translated the septuagint Greek language old testament to Latin.
    The Hebrew books were in Greek do not a direct translation from Hebrew language.

The new Testament also in Latin.

Septuagint
    The septuagint is the Greek language translations of the Hebrew scriptures.

The septuagint includes the extra books that the reformers Martin Luther claimed the Catholic Church added.

The Ortohodox Church has additionally two more.
    The Orthodox include Maccabees 1, 2, 3, 4.
    The Catholic does not include 3 and 4 Maccabees.