Roman Catholic Bibles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OV1kenobi, Aug 15, 2020.

1. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hey guys...

I am a born again Child of the living God. Praise God forevermore! Used to be a very bad news outlaw, walking in darkness and all manner of sin, that was my middle name! Long story over, (for time sake tonight on my end here) I came to Christ by His drawing, and repented of the sin and was saved by grace, through faith, and not that of myself (pride) lest I could boast, "

(Ephesians 2:8-10 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.)

E.G. look how good I am, look how much I know, Look how many times I've read the Bible, and how much I give to charity, and How great a person I am , and I don't hurt others, and I try and live a good life, and I go to Church, and I teach, I preach, I sing in a choir, man, I am good enough! ---- Won't work!

Nope, Not according to the infallible (means there can be NO errors) inerrant ( with out errors perfect, sound) Word of God, which has NO added books, or subtracted books or contradictions, but as the Word of God is plain.. 2 Timothy 3:16 " All scripture, (all of it) is God breathed and is useful for teaching, correcting and training in "righteousness.." (what is right in God's eyes). (emphasis mine)

Guys, I have placed Two Links here for those who want to read them. I pray folks will, and ALL the way through, and NOT pick and choose through them... ;)

These two messages, have been a life changing blessing for me, and I pray that they will have the same effect on those who will sincerely take them to heart..

http://www.bibleword.com/word_to_catholics.htm

http://www.bibleword.com/salvation.htm

Guys/Gals, in ALL sincerity, I pray for all of us, and ask the Lord Jesus Christ, to open our hearts and receive what the Spirit of God is saying... Amen !

Blessings to all of you!
    From the Heart..

These are major powerful messages in these two links above....

Blessings.
    CanyonMan

2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

As others said. The Catholic Church restricted access to scriptures for the masses. My mom took Latin. Fellow students would ask her “what does this mean”? Mom was Lutheran.

n2g and Caver 60 like this.

3. Caver 60

Caver 60

I'm not a Roman Catholic. But, up until Vatican II; they did discourage Roman Catholics reading the Bible. They didn't prohibit it, but discouraged it. Too much chance you might misread the Bible, and disagree with Roman Catholic theology.

Now they encourage reading the Bible, but prefer you do it in an approved Roman Catholic Church setting. But if you want to read and study it at home, it's now OK with the Church.

n2g likes this.
  4. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    I know my Roman Catholic dad loved to talk about the Bible with the LDS people when they came around. But until I dated A Baptist girl when I was in my 20s I had no clue how much both of them knew about the Bible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. n2g

n2g

Blessings to you as well, C.M. I agree with the main part of your post and appreciate your personal testimony.

I also believe Catholicism is a Christian faith, and that Christians shouldn't squabble with one another over details of worship or obedience as long as the basic underlying Christian principles are intact. While as a Protestant (SBC Baptist) I don't see the need or reason for some of their practices (and they would probably say the same about us), it's my understanding that they do believe Jesus is the promised Messiah-- the Christ, the Son of God, and that He is their Savior. I think that's what's most important, and is crucial, to the Christian faith. I believe those who have those beliefs are saved. When compared to other faiths or religions, including atheism, Catholics and Protestants share much more than we differ.

Ephesians 2:8-10 is one of my favorite Scriptures, and it's interesting that it has been mentioned in several other posts so far.

Another thought that I meant to include in my earlier post, having to do with the study of the Bible:

I believe the Bible is the recorded word of God graciously provided for us. While we should therefore read and study the Bible and strive to fully understand it and live by it, John 3:16 says "...whoever believes in Him... ."

It does not add "... AND has a doctorate in theology... ."
    We should sincerely strive for a perfect understanding of every word of the Bible, but thankfully one is not required of us to be saved. Even Christian theologians differ on their interpretation of some of the finer points, but the main point is simple enough for a young child to understand. This is true no matter the translation or edition chosen.

Again, what a treasure the Bible is. Those who haven't delved deeply into it don't know what they are missing. I need to do better about it myself, too.

OP, don't forget to let us know which edition you decide to purchase.

6. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

as a backslidden cradle Catholic, my experience is that Catholics take the word of the Pope over the Bible.

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Good morning..

Thank you for your post... ;)

Well, I don't have time this morning, and much to do here today, but again, (not to sound like a broken record) ha, but those two "Links I provided," I believe will be of 'great help' to those who read them.

Just 'sharing here..'

There is only one way to God. Jesus answered, "I am the WAY and the TRUTH and the LIFE. No one comes to the Father except through me" John 14:6

The Word of God is perfect and without defect. The grace that saved us, also becomes a tutor to those who are truly born again.

TITUS 2:11-12
    For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say 'NO' to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled (yielding to the Holy Spirit) upright, and godly lives in this 'present age.' (emphasis mine).

The same grace that saved us, if we came to Christ with a whole heart, teaches us to say NO to the life we lived in darkness, "all of it, not just the parts WE choose.." The Christian Church, the remnant of God, the evangelical spirit filled Church today, is fallen away and asleep for the most part. Hearing the Word of God, or just reading it, is not enough. It must be obeyed.

James 1:22
    do not 'merely listen' to the word, and so deceive yourselves. 'DO what it says.' (emphasis mine)

This scripture brings us back to TITUS 2:11-12 again (above).

Lots of 'hearing and reading and listening' to the word of God going on, not much doing, and obeying it. amen.

Psalm119:11
    I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you..

High learning , academics, intellect, none of this comes to Christ. He said "..come as a little child unto me..."

1 Corinthians 1:26-28
    26Brothers, consider the time of your calling: Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were powerful; not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame (confound) the wise; (proud) God chose the weak (humble) things of the world to shame (confound) the strong (proud). 28He chose the lowly and despised things of the world, and the things that are not, to nullify the things that are,… (emphasis mine).

Kids trust, they love and receive love, and fully rely upon the love of the parent to take care of them completely, and NEVER worry about rent, clothes, what to eat... The proud, (wise in their own eyes) can't please God, there is NO faith and whole hearted trust in them, just good works and deeds 'of the flesh,' in the name of "religion," and that makes them feel 'OK.'

James 4:6
    ...."God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble..." (emphasis mine).

Christians have really got away from these things over a very very long time, and turned to what the Apostle Paul called: "another gospel, and another Jesus.."

2 Corinthians 11: 2-4
    2I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. 3But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 4For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough. (fall for it) (all emphasis mine).

Man, wow, this is certainly the case with 'most' of what is called church today, and those who proclaim to love God with a whole heart. Turning to a "different Jesus," the Jesus of 'this age,' and making everything 'comfortable,' and ideal for the church going sinner to be happy and keep coming back to the comfort zone each week, but leaving there with the same hurt and pain, and lost-ness they came in with, 'because' for the most part they only got "another gospel.." Not one that brings healing life and deliverance and repentance, not preaching on 'the Cross,' but another gospel, that allows one to come to church, and carry a Bible, and sing a song or two, and "listen" to mostly dead sermons of theology, or jokes, and sports stories, and nothing there to truly help the broken hearted and hurt, and those in need, so they walk out as defeated as they walked in... Sad!

Well kiddo, again, I pray these two links will be a tremendous blessing to all who will take the time to check them out thoroughly. They sure helped and blessed me greatly, so just wanted to share them with others. ;) Besides, it will save me much typing. ha.

I appreciate your response and the time to share on your post. Thanks again. ;)

Gotta run here, and I will be out of pocket for a spell.

Lord bless ya. ;)
    God bless all of you guys and gals..

CM
    :horse:

Caver 60 likes this.
  8. WT

WT Millennium Member

Will - my experience is that most American Catholics ignore the pope.
    This guy Frank is the most disliked pope in the last 75 years among my fellow parishioners.

PEC-Memphis and ranger1968 like this.
  9. BSA70

BSA70

Thanks CanyonMAn:dancingbanana:

CanyonMan likes this.
  10. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Internet.

n2g likes this.
  11. thespork

thespork

I did a long revalations study with the 7th day Adventists....

They believe that the Roman Catholic church is the antichrist.. not the pope, but the whole system in the aggregate. Wild stuff.

As far as Bibles go, the NIV is written in modern English, and went through a very non-denominational, methodical, and academic process in its translation method...

This drives some people mad, because it's dry and unflowery, and it omits some trinitarian "smoothing over" that was done in the KJV. Hardcore KJV people will insist that this is evidence of it being "wrong" , but so be it, it's not in the original text, it shouldn't be there.
    It does not include the apocraphya though so it may not be the one for you

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  12. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

If anyone would like a good desk reference for dates in history with significant facts of what happened and who happened, pick up Annals of the World by James Ussher. Starts at 4004 BC and goes to 73 AD.
    [​IMG]
    Church Church of Ireland
    See Armagh
    Appointed 21 March 1625
    In office 1625-1656
    Predecessor Christopher Hampton
    Successor John Bramhall (from 1661)
    Other posts Professor, Trinity College Dublin
    Chancellor, St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin
    Prebend of Finglas.
    Orders
    Ordination
    Consecration 2 December 1621
    by Christopher Hampton
    Personal details
    Born
    4 January 1581
    Dublin, Ireland
    Died 21 March 1656 (aged 75)
    Reigate, Surrey, England
    Buried Chapel of St. Erasmus, Westminster Abbey
    Nationality Irish
    Denomination Anglican

13. Otto Pistol

Otto Pistol

Is there a Deist church one can join?

Asking for a friend.

14. BSA70

BSA70

I spent some time watching 3abn that seventh day adventist cable channel. I actually became very interested in the denomination. If you dig deep, they are considered a cult that follows a prophetess that claimed enlightenment by an angel.

Just watching their channel, you would never detect any of that and you would think they were rock solid. Seem to be good people though.

15. Caver 60

Caver 60

^^^ Yup. Cult.

Nobody even knows when Christ was born, let alone when the original 7th day (Saturday) Sabbath was.

Probably Christian, but.

CanyonMan likes this.
  16. thespork

thespork

1. Do n5 z
    I dunno...
    From what I've read deism's basic Tennant is that there is a God, but he just doesn't give a damn about anything that happens on this earth...

I feel that way a lot of times, but I'm trusting the Nazarene to smooth things over for me on the other side...

On this side... I'm not seeing much

17. thespork

thespork

They are good people, very community oriented, as someone who has moved away from family and friends and doesn't know a lot of people, I understand the pull...
    Because of their diet principles, a lot of thin, beautiful young women hanging around... So they got that going for them...

But yah, the whole "Catholic church is the antichrist" thing is just a bunch of 19th century nativist nonsense...

18. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Speaking from my experience most Catholics (I know/knew) didn't ignore John Paul II. They may have disagreed, but thoughtfully considered what he said and wrote. As far as Benedict XVI, most were amazed that he would go against the grain of the politically correct. As far as the current Pope, "dislike" is a mild term.

OV1kenobi and Caver 60 like this.
  19. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Missed it by a few years and about four (4) Popes.

[Pope Pius XII; encyclical Divino Afflante Spiritu]

And studying at home is currently encouraged, not just Ok (and this predates CV-19).

Caver 60 likes this.
  20. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Actually, that's not that rare. Luther, the Lutheran tradition as a whole, as well as other reformers held/hold variations on that view.

It makes sense when properly understood. (At least from their perspective).

Ever since the 1800s when Darby put a dispensational twist on historic premillennialism, all the "Left Behind" style Christians expect Antichrist to be a singular big, bad villain-to-come some day in the future.

1 John 2:18 reminds us that Antichrist isn't just one person.

"Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that Antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time."

One proof of antichrist is the denial that Jesus is the Christ another is the denial that he came in the flesh. But, in the original Greek, "anti" does not merely mean "against" Christ as in "the enemy of Christ". "Anti" means opposed to as a substitute; instead of; or, in the place of.

So, antichrists lie about Christ and put themselves in the place of Christ.

The reformers were convinced that the Papacy was teaching falsely about Christ (lying) and putting itself in the place of Christ, by claiming to speak authoritatively for Christ, while speaking falsely about biblical truth.

You have an institution claiming to be the living voice of Christ on earth.

Any time that institution, while claiming to speak authoritatively for Christ, actually teaches falsely...

Ta da... Antichrist.

Anyone who claims to speak authoritatively for Christ (i.e., in the place of Christ) but then speaks lies = antichrist.

TV preacher claiming to speak for Jesus but actually defrauding little old ladies of their retirement money = antichrist.

Even your own beloved church pastor can momentarily step into the role of antichrist, should he screw up his theology enough. At least in that moment or as it relates to any particular false teaching.

Starting with a biblical understanding of antichrist clarifies the seemingly odd position toward Rome.

Caver 60 likes this.