Rollover, not wearing seatbelt.

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Tvov, Jun 22, 2019.

1. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

We found that most were used. Oddly enough, or I thought, LEO were some of the worst about omitting them.
    Oh well, keeping one in the seat is a priority and will overwhelmingly aid in keeping you alive.
    We have all heard the story or even seen the aftermath where a seatbelt probably would have been a bad thing, but those are so rare, it is insane to not use one.

wyntrout likes this.
  2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I dislike people telling ."this one time seat belts would have killed them"
    First off you don't know for sure. Seat belts allow the driver a CHANCE to control the car longer. I realize older truck. Most severe crashes do not go below the dash. So if person goes toward center they often should be ok. Not seeing that truck maybe a road sign went thru strewing wheel, seat back....
    It's like a person getting hit by lightening in MN winter. Seat belts save lives.
    I have a relative. Haven't heard from her in yrs.. She got her Dr. to write that wearing seat belts for long periods might be too uncomfortable... So she does not wear them as she drives stupid. Rides horses... (Ok I have not seen her drive in @7 yrs...I wouldn't ride with her)

wemt and John_AZ like this.

3. ashecht

ashecht

My seatbelt is on before I’m out of the driveway. I have two kids, 2 grandkids(so far!)

4. pblanc

pblanc

As a former Emergency Department Medical Director and staff trauma surgeon for two Level II trauma centers I can tell you that a large percentage (well over half) of those individuals I saw and treated who had sustained critical injuries in motor vehicle accidents were unrestrained.

The information is from a few years back but compiled data from hospitals and emergency centers showed that if you were involved in a serious MVA and were unrestrained, you were several times more likely to die than if you were restrained. If, on the other hand, you were ejected as unrestrained drivers/passengers in high speed MVAs often are, you were 18-20 times more likely to die.

Yes, there are a few fatalities in which an unrestrained driver might have survived, most often when the vehicle catches fire or falls into water. But the data is clear. Using passive restraints greatly tilts the odds of surviving a serious MVA in your favor.

5. John_AZ

John_AZ

My job is investigating serious injury, fatal and DUI wrecks. You’re preaching to the choir here when you say seatbelts save lives. If only everyone would slow down, put down the phone and wear a seatbelt, nearly all my work (at least before 10pm) would disappear.

But, there is no doubt that this wreck was the perfect storm where these kids being ejected saved them serious injury or death. But, had they landed on asphalt or another hard surface instead of the dirt, they probably would not have been so lucky.

I guess in summary, don’t take my post as a point to not wear seatbelts. Just one of those freak things.

larry_minn likes this.
  6. cruz lee

cruz lee

7. professor kv

professor kv Hey! Who turned out the lights?

I wear them whenever I'm driving.

If I have a passenger ,they wear theirs too, or we ain't moving.

It's cheap insurance.

larry_minn likes this.
  8. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

Unfortunately we just did a couple of weeks ago. We've had a few over the years but for the most part I do believe air bags and seat belts save lives.