Roll Call: Adam 12

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gokyo, Sep 16, 2020.

1. jd4223

jd4223

Back in the 70's when I was a Detroit cop it was mandatory we had to wear our police hats even in the police cars. Back then there was no air conditioning in those cars. We would get a written reprimand if caught not having our hats on even if we were in a foot chase or fighting with a perp and our hats came off. There was a unit that would follow officers around just to see if they had their hats on. We would call them "The Hat Squad" plus a few other names!

nrajeff likes this.
  2. Nutty Professor 188

Nutty Professor 188 Patrol Corporal

I loved Adam 12 & Dragnet.
    Jack Webb’s delivery was great!
    Columbo was great too.
    I know Chips was a comedy but I like watching it too.

My favorite police show was Barney Miller though. I think the characters and actors were the absolute best!

I had a sergeant who was the best cop I ever worked with and the best supervisor I ever worked for. He was a lot like Barney Miller. Very smart, patient, and a great guy to work for.

nrajeff likes this.

3. nrajeff

nrajeff

"Starsky and Hutch" kind of follows in the footsteps of the earlier "partner" shows, and even has the "Odd Couple" partnership, since the two men differ in background, education, dress style, speech, etc.

4. Belchfire

Belchfire

Every night I just wish they would change time slot.
    The 5 is on same time dang it.
    Dragnet was a good one too.

5. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

They make a new thing called a VHS recorder so you can watch both shows

jimcorbin, IamtheNRA and nrajeff like this.
  6. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Loved that show growing up!

cbetts1 likes this.
  7. cbetts1

cbetts1

Delete-Duplicate

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  8. cbetts1

cbetts1

Get a inexpensive digital antennae and screw it into the back of your TV and you can watch it for free along with other great shows like Emergency, 6 Million dollar man, original Star Trek.....

I grew up watching it and had the meal lunch box with matching thermos. I was born in Anaheim in 1967 but moved when I was almost 7. That's what it was like when I lived there, interesting.

9. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Yeah, those are on Charge or MeTV or one of those over the air (OTA) channels. I have cable at home but only have a few OTA channels at my cabin. At my cabin is the only time I actually watch TV shows.

cbetts1 likes this.
  10. mac66

That's an interesting episode. The cop gets a 6 month suspension for back handing a drunk guy who grabs his badge (can you say assaulting a police officer?) In my day (70-80's), he would have gotten a real beat down. Times and policing were different in the 60s.

11. Z71bill

Z71bill

12. cbetts1

cbetts1

You would be surprised at how far the signals go. You can buy a more expensive outdoor antenna and receive signals from much farther away. Some may pick up signals from over 200 miles away from tower. I'm talking $50-$100

DTV Reception Maps
    https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

13. mac66

I'll have to look into a better antenna. According the the link above I get 4 channels moderately, and 7 channels weakly. The 4 I get are between 48 and 66 miles away. The weak channels of which I only get 2-3 intermittenly, are between 50-100 miles away. Being way back in the woods surrounded by tall trees may have something to do with it.

14. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Adam 12 is very watchable, today.

One thing that sticks out to me is how disrespectful people are to the police. Maybe that was common at the end of the hippie era. But I was just a little kid then, and grew up in the post-hippie era where people were more respectful. Until today's communism surge, that is.

So watching Adam 12, you get to see some same stuff that's come back in style today.

Bish1309 and cbetts1 like this.
  15. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

To give you an ideal of Basic Professionalism 101.

I have been in Law Enforcement since the late 1970s. Professionalism is like a foreign language in many agencies. Some agencies are just thugs with badges JMHO & YMMV. Remember,

Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong :cop:

16. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Rubber bands were used to hold the grip safety down on 1911s too. I always thought if you can't grip a 1911 properly get a Browning High Power. If you didn't like C&L get a S&W Model 59. :cop:

17. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I doubt anyone in certain sections of LA were ever anything but disrespectful to the police.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  18. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Well, I would not spend $50 just to get an OTA MeTV station unless I were positive they carried MeTV and also the MeTV channel carried the shows I wanted to watch. Some research along those lines would be worthwhile before putting out $50.

19. billorights

billorights

Adam 12 was produced by Jack Webb, along with Emergency. His influence shows in both as in Dragnet.
    We ran them on film when I worked at a local TV station and I saw them all several times. Still love that show.
    Recently I was able to find some Route 66 shows. Nice to see again, always liked Marty Milner.

20. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

There were also 2 Dragnet movies with Jack Webb. The one from 1954 was good. The other one was originally intended to be the pilot for the 1967 series but they made it into a movie and released in in 1969.