close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Roku Players...anyone have one?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KenBGlock19, Jan 1, 2010.

1. KenBGlock19

KenBGlock19 SEMPER PARATUS

Does anyone have a Roku player for their Netflix Instant Queue?

I am thinking about buying one when I move in two weeks to cut-down on my cable stuff. Thinking about doing basic cable (no box, etc.), a Roku, and a broadband internet connection. Also thinking about doing an internet based phone, but that's for another thread.

How do you like your Roku? Is it better than what Netflix would sell you?

Thanks.

2. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

We have Netflix also and when I learned about the Roku player I did some checking. I found that about 50/50 as far as people liking them. The ones that did not like them had to do with quality of the player, not Netflix. So I looked around and I'm going to get one of these in the next month or so for us:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-N460...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258678698&sr=1-3

Most seem very happy with the quality and the streaming of the player, not only from Netflix but also from some other streaming sites.

Good luck,
    garyo

3. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

4. KenBGlock19

Hmm..not too bad. A bit pricey, but that looks like a pretty solid unit. Thanks!

5. unclecharlie

unclecharlie

Got one for Christmas from my mother-in-law. So far, I like it. We have Netflix, and they have some stuff for download free if you have the regular mail-in service. My wife has been fooling with it more than me, she loves it.

I guess there are other roku-compatible download sites- amazon or yahoo or something. It is pretty fun to check stuff out and watch it instantly on TV. I suppose you could hook your laptop up to the TV, but I don't know.

I figure it won't be long before Netflix offers everything- including all new releases- for instant download, at least on one of their packages. It has to be cheaper than sending stuff through the mail. Electrons are (mostly) free.

And do yourself a favor and get the HD version. I can't for the life of me figure out why my mother-in-law got us the old and busted lo-def one.

-Charlie

6. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

You can buy a bluray player that will stream netflix, or you can do it with a PS3 or xbox 360. Or you can buy a vudu and try out their service.

7. KenBGlock19

Ya, they had the HD one on Amazon for $129.00 tonight. Might consider that. I have about two weeks to think about it. Thanks.

8. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

I have the Roku. I use it with my Netflix account and also Pandora. You can also get pay per view from Amazon and lots of other types of media.

I have only basic cable so the instant view feature from Netflix is great. I can watch a lot of cable shows when I want. Also some great older movies. I still get the DVD's for the newer movies.

I have had no problems with the quaility of the movies I watch over Roku. I'd bet those with quaility problem used cheap cables or have a slow internet connection.

I'd recommed Roku. I bought the HD version for an extra $10.

9. KenBGlock19

Ya, I heard the PS3 does it, too...not sure I want to spend that kinda coin. I look at it as a one-time investment, so maybe I can justify the cost. One of my goals this year is to be a bit more financially conservative. We'll see what the wallet dictates here in about two weeks. Thanks, man.

10. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

I have one. It works well on both Netflix and Amazon instant movies. Picture quality on my 32" HDTV in my bedroom is usually acceptable to very good (depending on how my WiFi and DSL are cooperating), but not as good as DirecTV HDTV.

One issue that some, but not all, users experience is an HDMI cable hang up, whereby the Roku and the TV or AV reciever lose track of each other, and the Roku must be power cycled to fix the issue. A sure-fire way of fixing the problem is to not use HDMI cables, instead using component (red, green, and blue) cables. I do, and I can't tell a difference in picture quality.

11. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

You can get the HD version direct from Roku for $99 and free shipping. The only differance between the $99 HD and the $129 HDXR is the range of the wireless reception. If you have a good router and don't live in a mansion the regular HD should be fine.

12. KenBGlock19

The XR may be required in my new place...not sure, really. The main computer will be in a 25' loft upstairs...it's all in the general vicinity though...will have to check it out when I get in there.