close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rohrbaugh R9

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Igor Unchained, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Igor Unchained

Igor Unchained

I saw the Rohrbaugh R9metioned in American Rifleman's recent Concealed Carry issue. The article was on .380 concealed carry semi-autos, and the Rohrbaugh R380 was the only gun they tested that did not have some kind of problem with it that would preclude me from buying it.

Has anyone shot a Rohrbaugh R9, the 9mm version? It looks like a sweet little piece. I am wondering how many fingers fit on the grip/handle, how hard the thing kicks, and if it is reliable. I am considering a R9 or a Walther PPS for concealed carry.

Thanks

2. diode

diode

Sorry Igor Unchained: The test in American Rifleman was tainted by $ .... from mfg. Rohrbaughs need constant lube and maintainence just like every other weapon platform this small. Many of the guns portrayed in this write up do much better than the press wrote them to be. Remember, The press has the Power, CBS-NBC-ABC-even our beloved FOX can twist the story to suit the need. It is a shame that it has to be this way but it is, so view everything media with the other eye open.

jb

3. FloridaCCW

FloridaCCW

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  4. Petrie

Petrie

I was suprised the article you referenced was so critical of almost all the pistols tested. Most of the Gun reviews I've read in gun magazines are positive.

5. diode

diode

Petrie: The world is going internet, traditonal magazines, newspapers and even televised news are all suffering a loss of revenue due to this change in technology. When it comes to making money to keep your media going, they are all whores in the marketplace. Find someone local who has the weapon you are interested in, then YOU make the decision based on a "hands on" experience. Visit many gun forums where no one has a special interest in making a buck to share their experiences. Sorry but this is the evolution of the media in the 21st century...

jb

6. Igor Unchained

Igor Unchained

Did you read the article as well?

7. handyman

handyman

I did read it, they had problems with most of them.

8. beemerphile

beemerphile CLM

I have heard that the Rohrbaughs do not have a very long shot life.

9. Dandapani

Dandapani

I once owned an R9S. Eventually the factory had to buy it back from me at a loss by both sides.

10. Igor Unchained

Igor Unchained

Are you saying all that glitters is not gold?

11. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

What was wrong with it?

12. glockster99

glockster99

I used to own 2 of them in the 9mm, one for me as a back up for duty and off duty. When qualified, it jammed on me all the time. It is a very picky ammo eater and not for target shooting.....lol. I eventually sold them. Maybe just my luck. Others might have better lucky with them....just my 2 cents.

13. Petrie

Petrie

Yes, I did. The reason I am suprised by the negative reviews of some of the guns is becasue the gun magazines are in the buisness of selling guns. I mean if Taurus is paying a ton of advertising money to a particular gun magazine and they give a harsh review on a new taurus pistol, Taurus might take it's advertising dollar to some other magazine. I think the article was well done. The malfunctions he reports are fact, so no need to dispute them. But the author does have a lot of subjective critques. The keltec, Micro Desert Eagle, and LCP seem to get the worst of it. I haven't shot any of these pistols. Conceal carry is Illegal in WI so there isn't much of a market for these little guns here. I almost bought an LCP, but after handleing it I had to pass. To be honest with you the whole article seemed like an endorsement for Snub nose revolvers.:supergrin:

14. Igor Unchained

Igor Unchained

Walther PPS is sounding better with each post

15. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

To be honest, I didn't read the article.....and, I can't now because I've already given my copy of American Rifleman to a friend at work.

One thing I did notice, though........is Taurus got top honors by being on the front cover with their little 380. Taurus does a LOT of advertising in NRA magazines, so my thought at the time was......payoff!

This will never happen, but I'd like to see paid advertising in the NRA magazines to stop entirely.

hog

16. frankmako

frankmako

picky ammo eater and not for target shooting. some work well, some don't. you have to change out the spring offen. high price, high price. so if you are looking for a small 380 i would look at the kel tec p3at. if in 9mm then it is the g26.

17. FloridaCCW

FloridaCCW

The G26 and R9 are not comparable (I own a G26 as well). Yes, you can go to the range and shoot your G26 all day. Yes, the Rohrbaugh will start to become uncomfortable after 100-150 rounds (some say less). If you only want a range gun don't get the Rohrbaugh.

However, for pocket carry the R9 wins hands down. The R9 is a pocket pistol, the G26 is not. As for ammo, I have not found the R9 to be picky at all. Maybe some earlier models had problems? As for the high price, I find the R9 to be well worth it for its intended purpose. If you are short on money, don't get a Rohrbaugh and at the very least get a cheaper 380 or 32 so you have something. If you can carry a G26 everywhere you go then great. If you need something smaller on a 9mm platform the R9 is the firearm for you. There is no comparable pocket 9mm on the market today. I plan to get a third R9s very soon.

Rorhbaugh stands by their product and if you have a problem it is as simple as sending it back to them for repair. Same goes for Glock.

You are not getting the most accurate information on this forum. I am not here to convince you on anything, but at the very least get info from people who know what they are talking about. Every person has their own firearm needs and you need to buy a platform that works for you in your daily life. Again, you should go to the Rohrbaugh forum to get the positives and possible negatives of owning a Rohrbaugh.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  18. DentalChihuahua

DentalChihuahua Extractions!

With all do respect there is no comparison btw the two guns. The R9s is much smaller, much lighter and much thinner than the G26 were are you drawing your basis for such a comparison?

I’ve tried as a serious shooter for the last 11 years to be non-objective in my choices and tell it the way I see it. Honestly there are great carry guns out there and there are great arguments for carrying an LCP, G26, J frame over the R9. I'm not going to try to say what is right for you, but what has worked for me. I spent literally a year researching before I bought my R9s. (talking to owners, calling the company and shooting it at the range)

The R9 is worth it because it accomplishes 2 critical things for me. One is the smallest most powerful controllable package that fits in my pocket. Two; the gun is meticulously made and excellent quality. 90% of the time I am in khakis , button up and bowtie (with or without lab coat), outside of work I’m in jeans or khakis, never cargo paints or t-shirts. My dress dictates a lot of what I can carry and what I can’t ;the R9 is about the biggest I can pocket carry successfully.

There will be a lot of comparisons btw the Kahrs PM9 with the R9, the Rohrbaugh is smaller with is significant for me. I currently own a PM9, P9 and TP9 and I used to rotate btw the TP9 and PM9. I can’t pocket carry a PM9 but it makes a great IWB gun, Kahrs quality is great not the same level as Rohrbaugh’s .

One big thing for me being a lefty is that the heal mag release on the Rohrbaugh R9 a huge advantage for me. With most other pocket guns either front pocket carry or back pocket carry the mag release would be inadvertently pressed because they protrude from the frame. This was really bad with my PM9 and somewhat rare with my Kel-Tec P3AT. The only caveat to this is the Ruger LCP with has an indented mag release.

Rohrbaugh R9, is not +P rated, this is a non issue for me it’s designed as a close range last ditch defensive handgun .

Rohrbaugh R9 functions with premium ammo that’s what it was designed to do. It’s a defensive gun not a range beater.

Rohrbaugh R9 accuracy is subjective however I think it’s awsome considering its size, I can even shoot it better than my J frame.

Rohrbaugh R9 will need its recoil spring changed at every 300rds, the small frame and the recoil abuse the gun takes necessitates this. The recoil springs are $4.99 from the factory.

Other posters have mentioned the recoil of the gun, I don’t find it any different the Kel Tec PF-9 or P11. The 357 short frame revolvers are MUCH worse.

Read the Rohrbaugh forum at http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/ and see what others saying.

Other posters have mentioned the Microtech Archangel the specs look similar, let’s see if it delivers.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

19. Captain38

Captain38

I consider MY Rohrbaugh R9s was a good investment; it serves well the purpose for which it was purchased: to be carried a lot and shot very little!

20. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Rohrbaugh himself agrees with you. As long as that is all you want out of the gun, it's a champ.

Although I can't condone shooting any gun you will use for SD a "little".

I want to be extremely proficient with any gun I use for SD. Can't get there by shooting a little.