Rodent Control

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Poodle, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Poodle

Poodle

Me problem kami dito sa Seminary Compound. Four (4) hectares kasi ito, hirap eradicate ng mga daga. Pati kotse ko ginagawang bahay. Me pest control kami, nabawasan ang mga peste pero me mga natitira pa din. Subikan ko ang Thomas Cowan products.

2. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

father p: magalaga kayo ng mga small dogs like fox terriers, jack russel terriers, poodles and syempre mga pusa!

yung fox terrier ko dati ang galing manghuli ng daga!

3. Allegra

Allegra

they're good practice for airsoft

4. isuzu

isuzu

but if you don't kill them, they'll come back with a vengeance.;)

5. isuzu

isuzu

Dachshunds are very good also. They were very effective against rats when we had these dogs in our house.

6. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

agree 100% daschunds were bred specifically for rodent contrl iirc!

kahit mga askals lang, kelangan turuan pag puppies pa lang to agressively pursue moving objects like tennis balls.

7. Allegra

Allegra

I Hope they dont bring their own guns! :)

8. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

+1 on the Jack Russell Terriers. Ours has caught and killed close to a dozen big field rats (we live next to a rice field) since we moved to our house last year.

We use Racumin inside the house for pest control, but the problem with this product is that the rat sometimes doesn't make it outside the house to die, and we have to locate it and remove the dead rat ourselves.

Perhaps you could also look into reducing or restricting access to food sources that the rodents thrive on.

9. charlie-xray

charlie-xray Guest

Try po nyo kung meron sa Truevalue or Handyman yung electronic ultrasonic na rodent control kasi po dito sa location ko yan ang gamit namin effective, you need at least 2 to cover the whole house though (roughly 70sq meters.)

10. isuzu

isuzu

:supergrin:

Seriously, a neighbor in the Philippines tried to kill a mouse, but wasn't successful doing it. Weeks later, his clothes in his closet had holes, rat feces and urine, obviously done by the mouse and probably its cohorts. Their driver told him, pag gusto mong patayin ang daga, kailangan todasin mo.

11. isuzu

isuzu

Mikey, do you rotate different brands of rat poison? We have observed that after a while, the rats identify the poison, and would try to avoid it. We also mix the rat poison with roasted shredded coconut, and pack them in small plastic bags, careful not to touch them with our bare hands. The rats are so cunning, that if they smell that the poison was handled by bare hands, they'll just avoid it.

12. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Yes, I usually rotate between Racumin and Thomas Crown when I notice a decline in the consumption of the bait. I'm also careful not to touch the stuff with my bare hands for the reason you stated, as well as to avoid possible health hazards. Thanks :)

13. charlie-xray

charlie-xray Guest

Jack Russell Terriers hindi ba nagkaka-rabies yung dog because of the rodents dirt or bacteria infested self, whole being of the rodent is dirty right?

14. maskytrading

maskytrading Guest

Poodle, I'll volunteer my services free of charge(no pay and no food and no transpo. allowance) on Saturdays and Sundays if it's all right with you. I will bring my break barrel .22 air rifle and hunt them down safely(like rats :). I've had a lot of experience with shooting rats in my province when I was little bit younger with my other air rifle there. Weekly harvesting of about 6 to 10 big ones will be enough to control them. Daily harvest will make them harder to find (magin mailap masyado)but will still wreak their usual havoc in your seminary.

I hope you are in Metro-Manila.

P.S. By "daga", do you mean rats or mice?

15. antediluvianist

antediluvianist Guest

I killed several rats, and in fact a snake, a garden turtle, several pigeons and a cat, with my Feinwerkbau 127 breakbarrel (.177cal. / 850 ft. per second).

Then I got Dachshunds as pets. No rats to shoot since they have been around.

Full-size Dachshunds are literally "badger dogs" - they were bred to be long and torpedo-shaped so that they could go into the ground tunnels of badgers, which are much larger anumals. That's also why they have long tails - so the owner can pull them out by the tail if necessary. And that's why they are so FIERCE for their size and have big chest muscles and lungs (listen to their bark - you would think it's a bigger dog) - they attack goddam badgers. (Hey, I am a lover of dachshunds, and breed them informally.) Very smart dogs, very funny dogs, and very LOYAL dogs. Full-size dachshunds can wipe out cats, and of course rats.

The miniature dachshunds are good for rabbits, rats, and any small animal that burrows/hides in holes.

16. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

I don't know, sir. I'll have to research on this matter.

What about other dogs that hunt rats, are they in danger of getting rabies as well?

17. Alexii

Alexii Guest

For mice, we found out that ordinary flypaper (those with sticky, caramel-colored adhesives) with cracker bits as bait works well. It's inexpensive enough to put in several strategic places. Problema lang if you have other domestic animals in the area.

18. vega

vega

You'd be surprise how those humonguous rats can escape that sticky paper. Tried that before when I was still there and you can see their paw prints all over the paper and around it. Besides the paw prints you can see all the hairs that were removed from the rat. Yung sticky dumikit sa sahig so hinatak niya yung sarili niya, kung maliit lang siguro yung daga hindi makaka-alis. Nakahuli rin ako ng butiki sa sticky.

19. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

kaya hindi ko mabitawan .22 revolver namin eh :) good thing at the right of our house is an empty lot, at our left is a foreclosed house, behind us abandoned building and in front of us is a cemetery. :) :) sometimes it takes 3 shots to put them down! we have HUGE rodents.

another thing i use is a rat trap purchased at SM ace harware for P100 each only. we just drown them when we catch them in the cage. you just need variation because rats fcan be pretty clever. i usually use peanutbutter as bait. sometime i change location, sometimes i even wrap the trap with paper and smear it with food.

with the revolver and the trap, ive had 25 rodent victims already :)

i remember when we tried rat poison pellets, the rats didnt go for it. so we mixed it well with crushed bread toast or soething like that. ayun, we saw sa plate na wala na yung bread crumbs and naiwan nalang yung poison pellets. :) someone also recommeded "watusi" as poison. if it can kill a 12 year old kid, it can kill an 8-inch rat :supergrin:

20. isuzu

isuzu

Are you using hi-velocity 22lr rounds? Try switching to standard velocity hollow points. One shot will do the job.

My experience was that when I was using a PARCO airgun and Diablo flat point bullets, it just took one shot to kill one rat (dead on its tracks). When I started using 22lr with hi-velocity bullets, the rats would usually run back to the hole and die there. I switched to standard velocity hollow points and they did the job with just one shot.