Rock hounds, prospectors and mineral collectors.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rabbi, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Wondering if we have any amature(or pro) Geologists or the like on Glock Talk?

I have been, for some time, an enthusiastic amature prospector and I am starting to discover rock hounding in general.

2. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

Will Ferrell, Old Prospector....
    [​IMG]

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

[​IMG]

You know me, Harry. I'm in. . . wait - how old are you again? LOL

4. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

My grandpa was a huge amature Geologist and his collection sparked it in me. I have so many fond memories of spending hours and hours in his basement, going through his collection. He had big, metal floor to ceiling shelves with huge tupperware containers and jars just filled with every rock and gem you can imagine. When he died, my family donated his collection to a museum.

We just purchased a jeep a few weeks ago just so I can get out into the RealDesert® look for rocks or whatever else I can find out there. I can't tell you how excited I am!

I hope you really get into it Rabbi....I think you'll have a blast!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  5. D445547

D445547

You bet, I go for gold in the Prescott, AZ area. Nothing like spending a day in a stream panning for gold. :cool:

6. Rabbi

One of my favorite areas for doing the same thing.

7. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

They should combine geocaching with prospecting......geopecting?

Both get folks into the great out-doors with something to actually do.

8. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin Searching

The thought never occurred to me. Rabbi, do you quest for specific things or look for interesting things in general when you explore? Aside from panning for gold of course, which is pretty specific. What have you collected that you would consider 'treasures' of the hobby?

9. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

wow .. small world,

my dad and i used to pan in arizona too, some good areas that were taken over by urban sprawl..

10. HKMark23

HKMark23 Millennium Member

I have mentioned my meteorite hunting here many times before, but we also have lots of fossils, turquoise, silver and gold round these parts so I always come back with something interesting. I also take folks out on night Scorpion hunts which leads me to usually grab any rocks/minerals that fluoresce.

11. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Do a little gold panning, fossil hunting, and rock hounding. Don't really keep much, unless it's really unique. Give a lot of it to my brother in law who has a tumbler and makes stuff out if it... amateur jeweler, I guess.

What I really go in for are the 'lost treasure' stories round these parts... not that I have any expectation of ever finding any of it, but the history aspect is fascinating to me.

12. JHorner_G17C

JHorner_G17C ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

/______. Rock hound/self made ( my father tought me ) geologist since I was a young'n
    \

13. Rabbi

I have been gold prospecting for years. Along the way I have picked up a few interesting rocks but never thought much of it. However, I have become more interested in it in the last few years but have not done much about it other than to pick up interesting rocks when I find them. I have also taken to stopping at rock shops when I see them. I have bought some very cool things but it doesnt feel the same as finding them would.

I wouldnt really say I had any treasures yet (other than a few gold nuggets I have found) I was just thinking about making a display case in my office for some of my finds....but I dont really have any great mineral finds yet.

I live in Central Texas....no one cares that I have found various limestones... :rofl:

14. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Rabbi, because of my physical condition, I don't get out in the field very much.

But, I have a 40-year-old collection of rock, gems, and minerals that probably is in excess of a thousand specimens. And, I lam pretty knowledgeable about geology in most aspects.

I would be glad to assist you in any way I can, Sir.

For instance, here are some of my flourite octohedrons, on my coffee table.

[​IMG]

15. Rabbi

Awesome. 4 axis of cleavage makes "purty" shapes. You are in a much more interesting part of the world for such a hobby.

While I certainly get out to more interesting areas, I live in the land of sediments.

16. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I'd like to waste about a week over at Crater of Diamonds in AR.

17. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

I have a baseball sized meteorite made from iron and magnetite.Its slightly magnetic and attracts steels.Weights quite a bit for its small size.I was offered 5k for it at a gem show but decided to keep it.

I used to have a very impressive setup and display of florescent minerals as well.One entire room was florescent minerals on one wall with a uv light in the ceiling,and gemstones in the raw along with various crystals in their native forms.Another wall was metals and artifacts.I still have a large piece of a stalagtite I got from caveing.Not much left these days of the metals except a 20 pound chunk of native copper with a single rare crystal in it from exploring up in Michigans copper mining areas.

18. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I get this. :rofl:

When I was a kid, for a time I had a brief period where I was intensely interested in what I could find in the stones. Unfortunately, I was in a bad area in general for this kind of thing, and the limited range I had as a kid made it worse. I had a bag full of unremarkable rocks in my closet that I thought were neat. "Is that limestone?" "It's all limestone."

I have zero interest any longer. I'm not sure when or why I stopped caring.

19. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Rabbi, New Mexico has some really cool rocks, gems, and minerals.

But, most flourite in the US comes from Illinois.

20. chris in va

chris in va

Not trying to be a spelling nazi, but...amateur.

Anyway, I saw that program about meteorite hunting and a few good finds happened in TX when one fell a few decades ago.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010