close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Road hazards....other than cars

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by PBCounty, Jun 27, 2006.

1. PBCounty

PBCounty

Hi there...

Anyone ever gone down due to road debris / misc. obstructions? I am not speaking of gravel.

I ask because I see blown tires, furniture, car parts, shipping crates, etc...etc...etc... all over the road when in my truck. A lot of these items are hard to spot at night until I'm right on top of them.

How often are these items an issue for riders?

As said before in other posts, I ride dual sport with most of my past miles spent off-road, but an interested in becoming more pavement oriented due to my new location.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Hence the advise of don't override your headlight. If you can't see where you're going, slow down.

Or get better projected headlight or additional drive lights.

If there's a will, then there's a way, providing that your wallet can sustain it. But generally, slow down at night works extremely well.

3. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Telephone poles, trees, cactus, mud-holes, other bikes....

Oh, you must've meant on the street.;)

My tactic when I used to street ride was to eyeball the road ahead of the cars in front of me. That way I could avoid having a car/truck give birth to an unforseen obstacle right in front of me.

I'd also key off of brake lights and car manuevers several car-lengths ahead.

One time I was spacing out and I hit a 4x8' sheet of plywood, it brought me right back to Earth. Luickily, I rolled right over it.

4. norton

norton

Fnfalman
    you should have ridden in the days of sealed beams. Overriding your headlight at night was about 30 mph. But I agree with you.
    Best thing invented for bikes was the quartz headlight. And disc brakes-