Road Closed

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MrsKitty, Feb 28, 2007.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Shot this weekend in RAW + JPEG with b/w set in parameters for JPEG (since I am PS-less still). All I did was take the JPEG from the card and upload to photobucket.

I am going to reshoot this in film for sure, and probably digital too, but any tips? It lacks the spirit and charachter of the old bridge to me...

ISO 200
    1/50
    f/10

XT
    50mm 1.8

[​IMG]

2. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

I would suggest moving the sign and the concrete barrier out of the way and reshooting the picture.:rofl:

The sign is really putting a roadblock in composition.The rule of thirds and vanishing point perspective down the bridge is ruined by the sign.
    Although your 50mm focal length lens is sharp, I think a much wider angle would work just off to the side of the current point of view , or from a side angle.

The picture appears sharp and contrasty. The more the better in the future for black and white.

Go in front of the sign with wide angle and as much contrast as possible.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I really intended to shoot some before the concrete barrier was placed. For over a year, a portable barrier was there. I had intended to go shoot it, with and without the barriers in place. I am such a procrastinator...

I am going to try again with something shorter. I am also taking something much longer to see if I can catch the swans living in the water below. I had no idea they were there, until I heard a horrid squaking-honking and a splash. I looked over and there were two swans-so bright against the dead grasses and dull water-and a goose that apparently was the source of commotion.

4. krinkov

krinkov Shutter Maniac

not much more to add except the time of day. Pick a time when the shadows fall longer.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Yeah. I was late that afternoon. It was a pretty long trip and we were going to an opening at a gallery. I couldn't exactly make everybody else leave too early as their patience for me is only so long! I would love to spend a day wandering around that town and shoot maybe three or four times that day to get it in different light each time...

6. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

To me, b&w photos look best with shadows, lots of contrast and some tint added in PS, and extra sharpening. b&w is all about the drama.
    This will be a great subject MK, lots of ways to shoot it. I visit up your way as often as I can, it's beautiful!

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Bridges fascinate me if they aren't the normal ones you see everywhere. I have been in love with the Golden Gate since I saw the first pic, many, many years ago.

I want to play with this bridge a lot more. Both with film (b/w) and digital. I wish I could swing by it any time...

We have lots of amazing scenery here, especially mountains but it is the ocean I long for... :)

8. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Have you walked across it? It is particularly stimulating on a foggy, windy day. Strongly recommended. Dress warmly.

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Not yet. I dream of doing it someday. I won't even be all that picky about the weather so long as I don't get blown off! :)

10. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Two years ago, I had the idea to bike ride over the Golden Gate Bridge when attending a convention. My wife thought I was crazy, like that was way to much work for so little gain. I sweated the weather forecast which was 25mph winds and driving rain. Turns out the rain gave us a 3 hour window of opportunity and the bike ride was sheltered from the wind by the hill above the base of the bridge. Riding over the bridge with the wind at our backs, we took the ferry back to San Fran from Sausalito as it started to rain.

[​IMG]

11. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

12. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

I was there last weekend(the beach).
    windy and gritty, I prefer your area by far. The grass is always greener.....:supergrin:

13. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I so want to see that bridge... I want to check out Alcatraz while I am there but the bridge is what I really want to see.

Oh, whenever I do get to see it, I will be checking it out from every angle I can find. It just draws me. In fact, I will probably have to be pried away from it :rofl: