RO procedures

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by lethal tupperwa, Apr 23, 2003.

1. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I think it was at the Kentucky match, one (and only one) of the range officers directed shooters to " show clear, work the action, pull the trigger, show clear again."
    This seemed out of the norm to me.
    All others only asked to "show clear".
    The guy seemed a little full of himself.

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Most of the RO's I have had over the past 4 years requested: Show Clear--Close the slide--pull the trigger----show clear and bag. A few requested just show clear and bag but less than half of them. No big deal either way.

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I think it was his manner or attitude that got me.
    It seemed that while everything was going smoothly, this one guy was jerking people around.
    You are right it was no big deal.
    This guy just seemed as if he was there against his will.
    I was surprised by his demeanor.

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

lethal tupperwa;

I understand. Yes you will run into a few of those types occassionally. Happy to say they are few and far between but still a few. I have stumbled into a couple but don't recall one at Lexington. All of the ones I had at Lexington were great both years.

I realise they are volunteers and it does make for a long weekend but most are happy to be there.

Be sure to say "Hi" to the Team Sidearmor folks when you see any of them. I have gone to Lex the last 2 years and plan on it this year as well. I am heading to Richmond this weekend and then Dallas the following.;c ;c ;c

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

They can't all be sweethearts. In IPSC, the last three official range commands are:

1. If you are finished, unload and show clear.

2. Gun clear, hammer down, holster (or bag).

3. Range is clear!

Between #1 and #2, the RO should inspect the chamber.
    Some GSSF RO's add "slide forward, pull trigger" in place of "hammer down" since Glocks have no hammer.

By the way, the first three of the 6 commands are:

1. Load and make ready.

2. Are you ready?

3. Standby! (Timer should beep within 1 to 4 seconds of the standby comand).

Guess you can tell that I just completed my USPSA Range Officer Level I Certification class last week.;)

6. John45ACP

John45ACP

DannyR is correct in his description of commands. Consistency of commands is a big issue with NROI but getting that consitency is not an easy task especially at the club level.

RO's are human and like any human endeavor some are better than others. I always try to show my appreciation to them - I'm out there having fun and they are working. and hopefully keeping all of us safe.

7. talon

talon

GSSF requires that the pistol have the slide locked back if possible when not on the line. So as an RO I will ask you to unload and show clear then I will have you drop the slide and pull the trigger and then lock the slide back. It does kind of feel funny having my slide locked back while in the holster however :) RO's are just like any other folks, good ones and bad ones and sometimes good ones just having a bad moment. The number one job of an RO is to monitor and promote safety and then making sure everybody has a good time. And lastly just because the shooter saw clear maybe the RO didn't and if he asks you again maybe he is only doing his job. However at no time should an RO cop an attitude even when he looks down a muzzle or two :)

8. mcsd2598

mcsd2598

One thing most of us also don't realize is that we are a little closer to the top of the curve. Some of us are even at "the top". Out of the 200-450 people only a small handfull can break 100 sec. matches. The rest fall anywhere from 350 and better. Either due from skills or nerves or a combo of both and have a wide range of firearm handling skills, and lack-of. The range oficers can't eye-ball a shooter and say to theirselves; "This person knows what they are doing, I don't need to do the whole speech." Also no RO wants to be left holding the bag if someone goofs up big while under their instruction\supervision.

I've shot quite a few matches and have pretty consistantly been in the top 15-20 shooters in each catagory. But I have done some pretty mindless things(nothing unsafe but procedure wise) due to what I call buzzer\competition stress and adrenaline. I'm glad to have an RO standing there to help coach me.

Many RO's also RO and or compete in different type match (IDPA for example). I've been told to load and holster several times at GSSF and I've complied with out question because I shoot IDPA as well. I've also seen a guy knock himself out of 1st A class to 2nd place (by a second or 2) by cleanning all 3 poppers on the M because he is used to engaging all threats from IDPA. Even though he knew better before the buzzer sounded.

Most of the average GSSF shooters wouldn't know or recognize the differences that some shooters would. 3 years ago I wouldn't have either.

If you do get a "bad range oficer" just shoot faster. Those few tenths might just put you over the top and a second or two less time around him\her and on to the next stage.