Glock Talk banner

RMR on 34 or 17

3662 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  lostone1413
All I would like to get the opinion of the group on whether I should run and RMR on my 17 or my 34? 17 with the TTI extension is my home defense weapon and the 34 is a potential 3 gun build
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Banned
1,624 Posts
I would not use an RMR on a "home defense" weapon. You don't need it. You need to train to use your weapon effectively within the 20-30 feet range that most HD situations will require you to use your pistol in. You don't need an RMR for that. Save the $500 you are to spend on an RMR put it to more ammo and training classes.

If you are doing it for three gun, fine.

Don't confuse playing games with home defense with a fighting gun.

· Just sayin'
4,682 Posts
Total agree with ptmccain. I have a Glock 34 gen 3 that I plan to install a Trijicon RMR. This gun will be more for range fun and maybe gaming in the future than anything else.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
12,029 Posts
I would not use an RMR on a "home defense" weapon. You don't need it. You need to train to use your weapon effectively within the 20-30 feet range that most HD situations will require you to use your pistol in. You don't need an RMR for that. Save the $500 you are to spend on an RMR put it to more ammo and training classes.

If you are doing it for three gun, fine.

Don't confuse playing games with home defense with a fighting gun.
Agree with the above poster.

· Registered
1,514 Posts
I agree with the others, keep sights on your home defense gun, but a red dot on a range or league gun works out great. This is a J-Point on my 34 prior to the MOS versions.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
Add me to the list that would prefer open sights if I actually had to use the gun. That said I enjoy the RMR on a G34 MOS at the range a lot.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
I put a RMR on a 21. Had the slide cut and installed suppressor height sights. The RMR co witness with the iron sights. I would not run a RMR with out the iron sights, nor would I run a RMR with rear sight in front of the RMR. There is learning curve on this set up. You will need to practice a bunch to get proper sight picture.
While I agree that a competition race gun should not be used as a self defense gun, the RMR can be very effective for self defense aplications.
What ever way you go train with it and develope confidence.

· Registered
1,833 Posts
Why shouldn't a race gun be used for home defense? Chances are you practice with it a lot more, you train with it on a dynamic range, you shoot competitions meant to simulate multiple threats, you do speed reloads with it, you choose ammunition that super accurate in it, you put highly visible sights on it, and you set it up to be super reliable. Aren't those all good things for a self defense gun? I don't think the sight matters one bit either, if you are fast, accurate, and visible in all light conditions, what more could you ask for?

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Why not use a race gun?
Lighter trigger pull, talking 1.5 to 2 pound, in many cases safety disconnected or altered.
That it is why. Those are bad things for self defense.
Better sights are a good thing.
There is a difference between a race gun and a gun that is used for competition. You can shoot a stock gun or slightly modified gun in competition and it still be a great gun for Self Defense.
To each his own choice for a self defense gun. It's the lawyers & jury you have to worry about.

Kinda ironic posting this as I am sitting in a lawyers office

· Registered
1,833 Posts
It's the lawyers & jury you have to worry about.
You are either justified in your shooting or you are not. I have worked on shooting cases and the gun and ammunition never came up. In fact the only thing related to the gun that came up was the sight picture, could the shooter see everything they needed to see in order to make a beyond a reasonable doubt judgement call that the shot was justified.

Every competition I've ever shot in mandates the gun work as designed. That includes safeties and disconnects. (I understand series 70's, among others, don't have the disconnect, but that's the way they were designed.) I somewhat concur on the light trigger...but if a shooter is skilled enough to handle the stress of competition, rapid fires, reloads, running, etc. and do it safely every time, then it shouldn't be any different at home. On the flip side, if a shooter can't handle light triggers, they shouldn't be entering a competition with them either.

· Registered
122 Posts
For years I've had an RMR and suppressor sights on my 19 that without a doubt is the way to go.If something would happen to the RMR you can still fall back on your iron sights. Most I know that have RMR once they get us eto them would tell you they can shoot allot faster and way more accurate with the RMR then just iron sights

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.