RMR is slower than iron sights for CCW for most shooters

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers and Lighte' started by kevin1, Apr 16, 2019.

1. kevin1

kevin1

My main carry gun is a G26 (I also carry a Kahr CM9).

I bought a G19 Gen5 MOS and was planning to add an RMR, suppressor night sights and after some practice, start carrying it.

Now I’m questioning my approach. I read an article on firearms news (I believe) where the author was saying that a highly trained shooter can be quicker with a red dot. But most shooters are actually quicker with iron sights.

Right now, I do have a Venom 3moa on the G19 with factory sights. But I haven’t practiced enough to know if I can become quicker with a red dot. I also know that I will never practice enough to be considered a highly trained pistol shooter.

Now, I’m thinking that, instead of investing in an RMR for the G19, just move the Venom to my TP9SFX for fun range shooting, and go standard night sights/light on the G19 for carry.

pjanthony, TheDreadnought and 835mag like this.
  2. Monkeybomb

Monkeybomb Resident Misantrope

pjanthony, DocPoison, Bus007 and 2 others like this.

3. mds1140

mds1140 nothing to see here, move along

I agree and have moved my RMR guns to the category of range toy.

4. papercidal

papercidal

I’m much faster with iron sights than a reflex sight but I bet if I had been shooting with a red dot on a pistol for 30years the dot would be much faster (just not a trijicon since the glass is so bad it’s difficult to see through)

Ranger357, happyguy, Willard and 2 others like this.
  5. njl

njl Crusty Member

When I was shooting at least 2x a week including a weekly match, I was faster with a red dot. When I slowed down my shooting frequency, I found I was both more accurate and faster with iron sights. It's really a matter of training and muscle memory. I no longer have a dot on any handgun other than my MKII.

6. The Father

The Father

7621E794-F57E-46DD-94F1-99DBB6723AD0.jpeg Back to just iron sights after trying the Trijicon on Glock17

Justin.schmidt23 and nursetim like this.
  7. oldmick

oldmick

I may be a tad slower with the red dot but I’m much more accurate. It does take time and practice to be good, and see the dot appear as you present the pistol. But I also have co-witnessed iron sights as a back up.

It took practice, but I’m a believer.

8. -JCN-

-JCN-

I’m just as fast with a red dot, but a touch more accurate with it.

April challenge:
    5FCD19A7-FA5E-4BBA-8226-8339A7353117.jpeg

9. okiegtrider

okiegtrider

What he said. [​IMG]

S391 likes this.
  10. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

I am tempted, but I have only used handgun sights on sidearms. Added laser/lights (G19 and G43) and I survived.

pjanthony likes this.
  11. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

Quicker/faster doesn't always mean better.

12. Vic Rattlehead

Vic Rattlehead

I’m in the same boat. I’ve been experimenting with a near/far method whereby I draw and fire by simply point shooting at 3’-7’ quickly and then locate and use the red dot at 10’-30’ with a tad more time. I have both eyes open in each scenario. I can put all rounds in a fist sized area with the point shooting up close and pepper a 2”-3” area with the red dot at distance. I’m wondering if this is the best of both worlds in terms of speed and accuracy for a ccw pistol. With irons, my up close is identical, but my distance group opens up a bit.

oldmick, 10or45 and -JCN- like this.
  13. nevernuffglock

nevernuffglock

What’s sort of dumb about the whole thing, is the chances of anyone ever having to use a handgun in a defense situation slim. Astronomical, and most shootings happen within 3-7ft? Then on top of that, you turned a cheap 4-500 dollar Glock into a 1000 plus investment. I have situations where I can’t carry, in MY case I can’t imagine leaving a grand sitting in my car. Even for a “range toy” that’s a lot of money sitting in a safe.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Preacha, pjanthony, SK2344 and 3 others like this.
  14. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

not true. at first the RMR is slower, but the more you train with it the faster it becomes and eventually becomes faster than iron sights.

Unknown.jpg

15. Burncycle

Burncycle

I haven't noticed it being any slower, but most people tend to hunt for the dot. I find that if you pretend the optic isn't even there and present your irons as normal, the dot comes to you.

The variable is when to transition from front sight focus to threat focus... if you're breaking the shot immediately upon extension and acquisition of iron sight alignment / sight picture, go ahead and do that first one with irons as if you didn't have a dot, and transition to threat focused immediately thereafter -- by this point the dot should be on your front sight.

If you're not breaking the shot immediately, present irons as normal, and then threat focus once your dot comes into view prior to breaking the shot.

If you're a point shooter... I guess just use the force? Maybe a laser would be a better option...

JN01, DocPoison and JT79 like this.
  16. kevin1

kevin1

This is a good video about the pro/cons of the read dot.

I hadn't though about the threat focus benefits of the RDS. At the same time having your RDS fogged up and preventing the use of iron sights is pretty scary....

surf n turf and -JCN- like this.
  17. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

I have a friend who shoots a lot of competitions, he swears by the red dot and I trust him. says it is way faster than irons for him, which I do believe with how much he shoots.

I toyed with the idea of adding a red dot to a G32 or 29 for carry but have since moved on. I carry a gun 24/7, at work and off... if it's nothing but night sites on duty, it's the same off... I'm much more likely to have to shoot someone at work and I am in no way risking having that different muscle memory present itself. same reason I carry nothing but GLOCK... familiarity of arms.

only thing I change up on/off duty is caliber (40 to .357sig). if we ever switched from GLOCK, god help me, I'd likely change my off duty too.

18. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Aaron Cowan (Sage Dynamics) has produced several videos on RDS advantages

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmVbsmNI14Q

including use of RDS when it's completely blocked

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn3Jd3XTIQ8

he even has a video where the sight is fogged

ithaca_deerslayer and pgg00 like this.
  19. Dynactus

Dynactus

Still trying to understand the value and use of an RMR pistol?
    Come on man. You gotta get up to speed.

-JCN- likes this.
  20. Mister X

Mister X

I know all the tactical instructors love them and will charge you big bucks to learn "essential" skills only they can teach you, but considering the close distances that nearly all civilian defense scenarios occur, I just don't see a red dot being of any practical value. In fact, sights won't likely be a factor at all. An RMR is relatively expensive and does provide a bit more leverage for a bad guy trying to disarm you in contact range. It's your money and the context of why you want it is what matters.