RMR Dilema...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glocker199, Oct 19, 2020.

1. glocker199

glocker199

I've been carrying a Glock 19 as my primary EDC for over 20 years, first a very early 2nd gen, then an OD 3rd gen since 2005. The only other guns I carry are a 43 as my BUG and a 48 when I need something slimmer for days when I have to dress up.

I've been wanting to try a red dot on my carry gun for a few years now. I finally ordered an RMR RM06 Type 2 over the weekend. Now, I have to decide how I'm going to implement it into my carry.

I'm very happy with my current pistol and if I could buy a factory gen 3 MOS slide like Glock sells to the military, I'd do so today. I like the finger grooves just fine and I prefer the trigger to the gen 5.

I know most people just buy an aftermarket slide with an RMR cut but I'm not thrilled with this idea for a carry gun. My 19 has been 100% reliable for over 60,000 rounds. The only parts I've changed out are other OEM parts like the smooth face trigger bar and minus connector. Changing out a major component like the slide doesn't appeal to me.

I'm also not interested in having my slide cut. I love that gun and the idea of having it milled and refinished makes me a little nauseous. I do like the MOS concept as being somewhat "future proof."

That basically leaves me with three options:

1. Buy an extra OEM gen 3 upper and have it milled. The downside to this option is that I'd likely end up with as much or more invested than just buying a new MOS gun.

2. Try to track down a gen 4 MOS gun as a "compromise." A new gun that's RMR ready but feels more like my gen 3. The downside here is that the gen 4 has been discontinued and I don't know how long it will be supported.

3. Bite the bullet and buy a gen 5 MOS and try to learn to like it. The obvious downside here is that I don't care a whole lot for the gen 5.

2. John_AZ

John_AZ

Buy another Gen 3 pistol if it’s what you like and get it milled.

I got my Gen 4 milled and refinished for $125 locally.

1B87DB5A-39AD-4069-8B43-4A90FE456AC9.jpeg

Greg Snyder, Willard and pgg00 like this.

3. OdinIII

OdinIII

I’d get the Gen 5 and learn to like the trigger. I’ve come to not miss the finger grooves. The flare at the bottom of the G19 frame locks in nicely with my hand.

There really isn’t anything wrong with any of your mentioned plans. You just have to pick a path and start walking. Personally, I would not worry about reliability with a new slide. Shoot it enough to test and forget about it but you have to strip your old slide to make it cheaper. It’s almost always cheaper to go with an entire used pistol.

Willard and Buckshot Barry like this.
  4. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Exactly. Find a good place to get that slide milled and it will only improve your slide. Better finish too.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    pgg00 likes this.
  5. glocker199

glocker199

I’ve
    I’ve yet to see any pistol finish I like better than the OG FPF on my 2005 19.

6. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Well, the frying pan finish is hard to beat admittedly. I’m talking about a modern day Gen 3 pistol. The nitride finish from Jagerwerks is better than today’s stock finish in my opinion.

7. TheDuckhunter

TheDuckhunter

I have cut slides, and aftermarket slides. I would just have someone reputable put an RMR cut on my carry slide (with Zev posts), and rock on. Otherwise, from your options, I would buy an Gen5 to experiment with to see if the "dot life" is for you. You can get your money right back out of it in this market if it is not for you.

8. toofman

toofman

I was in the same boat. I went with a gen 5 MOS. It's worth the upgrade.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  9. Sig Fever

Sig Fever 98.SiG and Rising!

I too like the Gen 3 G19, I had mine milled and nitrided by Primary Machine and they did an excellent job. I have the RMR06 Type Two also. I did not like the finger grooves and had Polymer Refined remove them and do their CCW stipple job, both came out perfect.

20200907_160751[5793].jpg

L-2 likes this.
  10. bubbatime

bubbatime

I have very little experience with these pistol red dots. (I have a few aimpoints on rifles) Do you leave the red dot on all the time? How long does the battery last? Do you change the battery every year? Every few months?

11. pgg00

pgg00

At work ours stay on all the time. Battery is rated to last 3 years. We change them every year. Same with the rifle optics

DocPoison, Willard and John_AZ like this.
  12. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

VERY nice

13. okiegtrider

okiegtrider

Bottom line right there. Personally, after wrestling with this issue a little I chose to have my gun milled. Year or so later had a second one milled. No regrets and no reliability issues.

pgg00 and Willard like this.
  14. Taz

Taz

I’ve got a Gen4 19 MOS whose slide I replaced with a Brownells direct milled slide. No reason other than I got a great deal on it. It’s been 100% reliable with whatever I load in the mags, so folks can make reliable slides.

I also have a g19x that is direct milled. I like the lack of adapter plates and additional fasteners to deal with.

If you’re not sure if the optic as a whole you can try a Duek Defense RBU. It’s a dovetail mount with its own BUIS. Not the same as milled or MOs as it positions the RMR above the top of the slide, but you can at least try before you mill the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. alhovde

alhovde

Honestly the MOS system is inherently a compromise. I was going to get a G19.3 slide milled for RMR till I realized I could get a TTS slide precut for the RMR for only 100 dollars more.

Check out the TTS on eBay. I have one for the G43X and planning another for the G19.3. the 43X is 1500K down the pipe no issues. Don't foresee any.

16. Chowser

Chowser

Agree with get another gen3 slide and mill it. Skip the MOS. You’re getting the RMR, mill your new slide for the RMR and call it a day.

Sig Fever, rlewpolar and Willard like this.
  17. Couch000

Couch000

I would recommend either a Brownells slide or a dovetail mount like taz mentions. I have an optic cut slide for my G43X and it's been flawless so far. Probably have about 200 rounds through it. Not a ton but 200 nonetheless. Put that rmr on your gun. You won't be disappointed.

DocPoison likes this.
  18. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

8D9198C3-AD1A-4F08-BA13-460A3B8DF2D3.jpeg Not a fan of the MOS system

have experience with milled slides and aftermarket slides and that in my opinion is the way to go