close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Risk Takers

Discussion in 'The Lighter Side' started by Glockrunner, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have. As children we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

Our baby cribs were painted with bright colored lead based paint. We often chewed on the crib, ingesting the paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes we had no helmets.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.

We played dodge ball and sometimes the ball would really hurt. We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank sugar soda, but we were not ever overweight; we were always outside playing.

Little League had try outs and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Some students weren't as smart as others or didn't work hard so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

That generation produced some of the greatest risk-takers and problem solvers. We had the freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

2. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

Originally posted by Glockrunner:

That's what is amazing. Even going to the mall, my brothers and I would say goodbye to our parents as soon as we got there to go play on the rides or in the toy section. For hours at a time. Today you wouldn't let your kid out of your sight for more than 5 seconds.

3. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

I remember those days as well, not so long ago...I miss them. I'm only 21 but I remember all the times me and my friends would go off into the woods for hours at a time by ourselves, free as birds...now those days are gone. Maybe it was because West Virginia is still a very rural area. ;1

Maybe I should move back some day.

4. srhoades

srhoades

mmmmmm.....garden hose water