RIP Titanic!

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Apr 12, 2012.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

Today marks the 100 year anniversary of the sinking of Titanic, and a hell of a lot of people lost their lives needlessly. May they all RIP:angel:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wTlureUMP8"]R.M.S Titanic - YouTube[/ame]

Magnus2131 likes this.
  2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

She left for sea on the 12th, hit the burg on the 14th, and sank on the 15th.

14th is my birthday.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

14th of April. Also the day Lincoln was shot. 147 years ago.

4. pugman

pugman

The really sad thing.

The radio station I listen to at work ran a news story about how Cameron produced that recent Final Say on Titanic or whatever he called it and the number of people who came out of the woodwork who didn't realize it was a real ship and only thought it was a movie.

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Next you'll tell us people believe that Abe Lincoln wasn't real, just a vampire slaying character in a movie. LOL

6. okie

okie GT Mayor

Ooops I got the date wrong, how the hell did I do that:embarassed::badpc:

Magnus2131 likes this.
  7. pugman

pugman

8. norton

norton

The Titanic sinking was a tragedy.
    But how many sailors lost their lives starting just 2 years later in the War to end all Wars?

9. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Kind of eerie seeing the survivors in that video and knowing they're just as dead as the ones that died.

10. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

One of the biggest impacts on my youth was in the mid 60's, second or third grade, when we had a book fair.

My mom always encouraged reading and no matter how tight money was she always let me get several books.

One year it was Walter Lord's A Night To Remember

Found out later my Aunt had the hardback edition complete with pictures, notes from the Board of Inquiry and the passenger /victim list.

A complete accounting from the time she left Belfast, and accounts of many interactions and vignettes of testimony from the survivors, the actions of the Captain, the depiction of disbelief that the "unsinkable" boat could go down. Name like Office Lowe, Lightoler, Bride, the Astors, Ismay, etc all stuck in my mind.

For most of life the ship was lost.

It was not till I was in my mid 20's that the stunning news of Dr. Ballard finding the ship's site hit. I devoured every pic and article I could get my hand on. I felt personally attached to the subject.

Later, great offense to see the souvenir hunting that took place when the location was disclosed, which Ballard fought for a good bit. It's one thing to grab a few things of interest in a dignified manner to display as a museum or memorial, but it devolved into a treasure hunt and plunder of what was essentially a tomb to almost 2000 people.

What haunts me most of all is, I wonder if anyone inside the ship was trapped in an airtight pocket and was still alive when the ship hit bottom, 2 1/2 miles down….:shocked:

Most estimates were that it would have taken 5 minutes for her to reach the ocean floor, so, I suppose it is possible. I can't imagine the terror alone in the dark, pondering such a fate.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  11. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

A couple years back my friend had some fun with me by adding an old pic to this newspaper clipping from April 10 and put it in a 3D chat room he built of the Titanic.
    [​IMG]

12. 50 Cent

50 Cent

Thought you were a little early Okie :shocked:

A tragedy all round - heard reports some of the life boats that left weren't entirely full. As well, what of that ship that supposedly had a visual on the T ?

13. 50 Cent

50 Cent

Great book - great movie, I guess the 2nd Titanic movie to come out after "Titanic" starring Clifton Webb in the 50's, which was pretty good too.

I dunno about anybody "riding it down" to her last resting place. Mercifully, the way I read it, she flooded compartment by compartment so you either drowned in place or froze to death in 15 deg F water.

Having to make a death ride like that is almost too horrifying to contemplate.

14. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

So, what was the "Final Say"? That it sank?

Seriously though, what did he have to say about it that hasn't already been said about 1000 times?

15. Fragman

Fragman

Actually, set sail on Apr 10th I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Ruggles

Ruggles

Just small facts really. He even said only 7 people in the world really cared about the level of details they were going into when he was doing his "final" word show. He was also looking for errors he made in his movie. I mean the color of the flares shot from Titanic as she sank, the degree at which she listed etc........

Just really a fascinating story all around...the unsinkable ship sinks her maiden voyage....Hollywood like story but in real life......

17. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

When I was in grade school, I read a book about the Titanic that was written before Robert Ballard found it. Back then, it was assumed that it sank as a whole unit- i.e. didn't break in two on the way down.

The book said that as it was listing, and the stern was rising higher and higher, a "great, thunderous crashing" was heard by the people in the lifeboats. The book went on to speculate that this thunderous crashing noise was the boilers tearing from their mooring and careening down the interior of the ship, and all of the big furniture, pianos, etc, because of the angle of the ship as it sank.

It was only after Ballard found it in two pieces that I realized that the book was wrong; that great thunderous crashing was the ship itself, tearing itself in half. :shocked:

Little known fact: Robert Ballard's expedition to find the Titanic with his Argo underwater craft was funded by the US Navy. They worked out a deal: use the Argo to help us find the Thresher and the Scorpion, the two nuclear subs that sank, and we'll bankroll your Titanic expedition. I didn't know that until a few years ago; apparently it was hush-hush for a while.

18. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

No worries, that would have been impossible. There are two ways that an air pocket can exist at that depth.

#1. Inside a water/air tight compartment, exactly like a submarine. I wouldn't think it possible that any such compartment in the ship could withstand the pressures.

#2. Inside an upside down bell. Imagine if you took a drinking glass and put it into your bathtub upside down. There would be an air pocket. However the deeper you go the smaller the air pocket would be. This is because the pressure inside the air pocket in the drinking glass is equal to the pressure of the water at that depth. No way that a human could survive that much pressure even if an air pocket (upside down bell) did exist.

CranialCrusader

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  19. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

On the 10th she sailed for Cherbourg, France.
    On the 11th she was at Queensland, Ireland.
    She headed to open sea on the 12th.

She hit the burg at 11:40 on the 14th. I was born 52 years to the minute after the strike.

20. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor

Titanic is a big deal, but over 9000 people went down on Wilhelm Gustloff, no one gives a crap about that.