close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RIP Robert B. Parker.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jack23, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

There will never be another writer like him and there will never be another fictional recurring character/wise cracking/tender hearted/hard headed, and tough as nails private-eye. He is most famous for his twenty something books featuring Spenser and his pals, Hawk, Susan, and several recurring cops. But lately he had started to branch out into the western genre with great stories like Apaloosa staring Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen. The short lived tv show Spenser for Hire staring the late Robert Urich. I believe the show went belly up because The just never captured the essece of the man. too bad.

He was a very gifted and prolific writer and will be missed by his many fans, of which I am one.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Jeez. I didn't know he passed. I'm sorry to hear that. I have read nearly all the Spencer series and enjoyed the hell out of them. R.I.P. Sir.

3. drizzle

drizzle

These were some of the first adult stories I read; they made me think about the behavior of men, and other high falutin things like honor, keeping your word, and things like that. I've enjoyed his books for 25 years, and am very bummed there won't be but a few more.

Perhaps his estate will have someone write new stories from ideas or partially finished manuscripts, as he did for Raymond Chandler's.

4. Orive 8

Orive 8

I have read all his Spenser books, Jesse Stone books, and Sunny Randall books.

He will be missed.

5. Thunderhawk88

Thunderhawk88 NRA MEMBER

He will be missed. I loved the Spencer series.

6. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

The banter between Spencer and Hawk is first rate. RIP Mr. Parker. You will be missed.

7. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer

I remember the "Spenser For Hire" TV series, which wasn't bad, but when I finally read the books, I kept saying to myself "this is the same guy?" over and over.

The only worse travesty was Hollywood's rendition of Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm. Those hoky Dean Martin movies!

8. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

I'm a Parker fan too, and have read many of his books. I like the Jesse Stone novels and hope they all get made into movies. Would like to see the return of Spencer and Hawk as made for TV movies.

If you like the Spencer novels you'll also like the books by Robert Crais. His stories and characters of PI Elvis Cole and Joe Pike are similar. I've read all his books except the newest one that was released last week.

Master crime novelist Robert B Parker dies

The creator of the wisecracking Boston private eye Spenser died on Monday, aged 77 http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/20/robert-b-parker-dies

Bestselling American crime novelist Robert B Parker, creator of the wisecracking Boston private eye Spenser, died on Monday, aged 77.

Author of more than 60 books, Parker passed away at his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts, his American publisher Penguin confirmed. "He will be deeply missed by us all," Penguin said.

Parker began writing his Spenser novels in 1971, going on to pen 37 books starring his street smart, tough investigator who would inspire the 1980s television series Spenser: For Hire. In 2002, he was named Grand Master at the Edgar awards by the Mystery Writers of America, and has sold more than four million copies of his books around the world.

Parker, who would publish up to three books a year, said he would write 10 pages a day, often not knowing "who did it" until near the end of the book. "I don't rewrite, I don't write a second draft," he said in a 2005 interview. "When I am finished, I don't reread it. Joan [his wife] reads it to make sure I haven't committed a public disgrace, and, if I haven't, I send it in. Then I begin the next book."

After writing about Raymond Chandler in part of his doctoral thesis about the evolution of the American hero, Parker went on to write Poodle Springs, a novel completed from an unfinished manuscript begun by the late Chandler, as well as a sequel to Chandler's The Big Sleep, called Perchance To Dream.

"I first got into him when I was a student and me and my friends heard about this writer who had these really cool books about a detective in Boston. You really had to seek them out at first," author and fellow Bostonian Dennis Lehane told the Associated Press. "He taught me how to be funny on the page. He taught me how to be succinct. He taught me how to give voice to that wonderfully jaded Boston sarcasm that came out in his books. I remember telling Bob that the first chapter of my first book (A Drink Before the War) was so faux Parker he should have been suing me."

Novelist Robert Crais told AP that Parker "opened the doors for everyone who came after". "For a long time, the American detective genre was defined by the big three: Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler and Ross Macdonald. I would say Robert Parker is the fourth," he told the newswire.

"I read Parker's Spenser series in college," crime writer Harlan Coben said in 2007 in an interview with the Atlantic Monthly. "When it comes to detective novels, 90% of us admit he's an influence, and the rest of us lie about it."

[​IMG]

9. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

The latest Jesse Stone novel, Split Image, will be released February 23rd. See the page on the Robert B. Parker website

[​IMG]

10. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

You are correct Hummer. I enjoy Robert Crais also. Joe Pike is the man.

11. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jonathon Kellerman just sent me that in an email today.

The only books of his I read, were the Jessie Stone books.

12. DoubleDog

DoubleDog Grrrrr.....

RIP Robert B. Parker...

You've entertained me a lot over the years...

DD~

13. twolf_rd

twolf_rd

I lost my favorite Author. No more Hawk, Spenser, or Suitcase Simpson... the world seems a lot emptier. RIP Bob, You are already greatly missed.

14. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

A piece of me died today when I found this out.

RIP Bob.