RIP Apple

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Jan 23, 2013.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Stock down 10% after hours.

I think Apple died with Steve Jobs.

2. Singlemalt

Singlemalt In the rough

Obvious bounce tomorrow, but yes, very long term I would agree to a degree.

3. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

For the love of god man !!!!!!! Why !!!!!

You have unleashed a creature so vile it fathoms in disbelief . For god sakes man edit ,edit , eidt

4. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I agree! It's so bad, they released their quarterly earnings today. Largest sales and profits ever last quarter. Obviously dead in the water. Only made 13 billion. Can't even buy Nokia with that.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Of course I'm being a bit factitious. Their P/E is like 11, half of Googles. And it's 1/24th that of Facebook.

But seriously, I think they better release a larger screen iPhone this year.

Apple has $137 billion IN CASH. That's enough to cover the federal deficit for a month. Hear that Obama?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  6. Stlbrian

Stlbrian

They missed Wall Streets inflated, and outrageous estimate by a measly 5,000,000 on profit of 13.1 BILLION. That is also with a full week less compared to the same quarter last year.

If you have some spare change in the couch, tomorrow morning would be a GREAT time to buy APPL.

10% discount from yesterday morning, and its almost a guarantee to go up.

If you don't have faith in Cupertino, you aren't paying attention.

My .02

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

We'll see. I had faith in Jobs. Remember where Apple was before be came back.

If Samsung continues the way they are, Apple is in big big trouble seeing as how the iPhone accounts for something like 57% of their revenue.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  8. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

9. Stlbrian

Stlbrian

Apple has something no one else has. Content. They have movies, and music, and magazines and books, and apps. And they take 30% of every singe sale

Think of it this way. Printer manufacturers don't make money on the printer, they make money on the ink. They will basically give printers away with close to zero margins, then rape you on ink for the following year or 3 until that pos printer gives out.

Same principal is in play with Apple. They put 1/2 a billion devices out there then roll in the money as those devices start buying content. Then once you have bought some content you are more likely to buy another IOS device because it is a PITA to migrate that purchased content ( If you can at all).

As far as Samsung goes, I just don't see them as a viable threat. They are entirely to scattered. They make tv's, and all kinds of other electronics, and while that offers them some stability in the event one market or another collapses, it broadens their focus, and shifts it from making 1 or 2 truly great products to a whole gaggle of mediocre products.

10. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

.....just the way the death of Netflix was predicted here on GT a year or so ago.

11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Content is great. How much is that actually adding to their revenue? A couple of billion tops. And how much growth can it have? And I'll say it again: the iPhone is more than half of their revenue.

Samsung's phones are serious competition.

12. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

So slightly less obscenely huge profits are the new harbinger of corporate death?

I suspect they will find a way to keep the lights on for a little while longer.

13. Ruggles

Ruggles

So Samsung could possibly pass Apple in cell phone sales.....and Apple being 2nd in cell phone sales worldwide is their doom.....never mind iPod, iPad and their awesome personal computers.....their dominance in music and film making....their huge educational market....etc...

...surprised the stock did not hit $6 a share........

14. WarCry

WarCry

Apple has the same problem that Sony faced for year: They're too set on proprietary. Sony lost the format wars over home video (beta vs VHS) and over the composition of DVD content. They bulled their way into the BluRay win over HD-DVD, but that's the only format-war they've won to date.

Apple is the same way - they set up proprietary formats for video, audio, everything, and they don't want to share with anyone. I can use the same media format on my computer, my Kindle Fire, my MP3 player and not have to worry about converting or getting permission to share it across devices, etc.

There's also the corporate (publicly-stated) mentality of "we're going to charge more because we think we're better, and we deserve to get paid more". That holier-than-thou attitude has turned me off of their products entirely and I don't see that changing.

They can use the "printer ink" analogy, but sooner or later people are going to realize they're getting hosed.

15. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

If it stuck, the 10% market cap loss they had after-hours today would be enough to buy two RIM's, *and* two Nokias.

Yep, they're on the ropes, fo shizzle.

16. Pilotdude3407

Pilotdude3407

Apple better get their crap together in the R&D department. They keep coming out with new phones and iPads but it is the same technology they had 5-6yrs ago. Back then they were years ahead of their time. Now they are getting passed in the capabilities of their equipment and they are just cruising right along not really changing anything. They need to step it up if they want to remain in the game. Their name will only last them so long.

17. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Hyperbole. They were never really ahead of the game technology wise. The first iPhone was 2G only. It had no app store and just a few preinstalled apps. And the ipad isn't even 3 years old yet. How many product categories has Samsung created/revolutionized in the last 3 years?

18. Stlbrian

Stlbrian

As for growth, the graphs here paint a pretty telling picture of the growth curve of IOS and there purchasing habits.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/06/12/the-ios-app-market-sales-run-rate-is-4-billion-per-year/

Close to 2 billion per quarter for all content sales, with growth at a staggering pace. Will that taper off? It has to, but no one knows when. With a growing number of devices in the wild, and them inventing new ways for there customers to access and purchase content, it doesn't show any signs of slowing any time soon. The content they sell accounts for about 1/3 of what Samsung with all their diversification puts up per quarter (5.9 billion last quarter 63 percent of which is Mobile phones and tablets).

That is just the amount Apple makes selling other people's content......

And you are correct that the Iphone makes up more than 1/2 of Apple's profit. About 30 billion per year, Alomst 8 billion per quarter. If the Iphone was it's own company it would make more profit than Samsung, Google, GE, Microsoft, or Walmart.

I must say, I am biased to say the least as an avid Apple user, and stockholder i understand I view the world through Apple colored glasses.

I just don't see how a company that copies what Apple does could ever really threaten it. Samsung doesn't innovate anything, they just wait for Apple to make a move and then they copy it.

I can appreciate you like Samsung phones, I like Apple phones. I just can't jump from its a nice phone, to it's competition for Apple.

And I hope you don't take offense to my arguments, none is intended, I just enjoy a good debate every now and again....

19. vettely

vettely

Good point.

20. PVolk

PVolk

Being the largest smartphone producer in the world, being diverse doesn't seem to be hurting them right now...

That actually already happened a while ago. Old news.