Ring light/flash

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by RWBlue, Jun 28, 2014.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I am thinking of buying a ring flash/light for some macro work.
    Anyone have one?
    What kind of range do you get with it?
    Anything in particular I should be looking for?

2. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I've rented and owned a few over the years. You get what you pay for, so buy the best rated ring flash for your camera that you can afford.

I used a cheap Chinese manual flash for many years (With a Canon 1Ds M2), @ISO400 F1.4, 105mm could get me a couple of inches for flowers and bugs. Now ISO is crazy! I can get ISO3200 and more, from my Sony A77. (this years models are insane!)

Using the Canon 180mm macro, I could get 6 inch to 1 ft range. Loved that setup. But a Sigma 105 macro with a 1.4x was much cheaper and indistinguishable from the Canon 180mm for the final results.

The twin macro flash Canon has now is intriguing. If I was still an active shooter, I'd consider it.

If you've never used one, buy a good one on eBay and tell us what you think.

(Ring flashes are cool, but reflectors and natural light were still my preference)

3. RWBlue

If I were a Pro, I would wait for the light to be great and things to be perfect. As an amateur, most of my shots are shots of opportunity.

I hear what you are saying about you get what you pay for, but I think there are some alternatives to the expensive flashes on the Nikon side at least. LED technology has come a long way. I was using a 1K lumen flashlight a while back. I was amazed at how much light it produced and how much it helped my photos. The ring lights should be better.

4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Pros don't always have the luxury of waiting for perfect light. Pros are under serious time restraints. A pro needs to light to get the shot.

5. RWBlue

6. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

For the quality of the LEDs and the build, you could save some money and build an LED ring light (constant on) from the Walmart camp light that costs less the $5. (It's a flat LED light that hangs from a hook, plenty of room for a lens to stick thru the middle)

Including part, less than $20 and runs on AA. There are a few builds on youtube and elsewhere.

7. RWBlue

I don't see anything I think will work for a project.

They are only 5w LEDs, but there are 60 of them and they attach to the lens.

8. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

I use this with pretty good luck..............

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MR-14EX-Macro-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00004WCI7/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1404456337&sr=1-18&keywords=macro+ring+light"]Amazon.com : Canon MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite for Canon Digital SLR Cameras : On Camera Macro And Ringlight Flashes : [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41MtBNyi5SL[/ame]

Also use my Canon 430EX II Speedlite with a cheap Photodiox diffuser, that works quite well too.

9. RWBlue

10. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  11. RWBlue

I am not sure why I don't get notification when this thread is updated, but....:steamed:

A weed is just a plant growing in the wrong spot.

The flower looks good. I am 90% sold on getting the ring light. I am just not sure why I don't see more of it with the pro and semi pros on Nikon Cafe. I can't figure out if I am ahead of the curve or ......

12. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

I use one for photos during surgery. Cannon lenses and Cannon ring flash. Got both used on eBay. In a dark hole the flash is only good for 8" or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

13. RWBlue

Can I assume that this was a ring of LEDs? How many?