GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Back to work...
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mother-in-law is a paraplegic, and asked about it. It would be helpful for her to see and talk to people that knock on her door, drop packages, etc. without requiring her to get up from the chair or work her way over to the door.

She has no cell phone, but uses an iPad and has reliable Internet (and fast) Internet at her home. Is Ring something that: a) is easy for her to use; b) useful to maintain? What are some pros and cons? Any input appreciated.

Reactions: n2g

·
Registered
674 Posts
She could run the app off her iPad with no trouble, and be able to see who is at the door. I do that when I do not have my phone near by.

·
Back to work...
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it matters to you, remember Ring is owned by Amazon.
Mother in law uses Amazon and has a Prime account: is there an advantage?

·
Back to work...
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reactions: larry_minn

·
Registered
9,058 Posts
Mother in law uses Amazon and has a Prime account: is there an advantage?
Not sure - there may be with how and where they can leave packages. I just mentioned it because some folks have a problem with Amazon and may not know that they bought Ring in 2018.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
I have been using Ring for many years and find it to be very reliable and easy to use with an iPad.
I bought one for my daughter too. The first month a hoody tried breaking into her home while she was at work. She calmly informed the guy through her iPad that the cops had been called. He looked up directly at the Ring camera just before running off. Police were provided with a nice digital image to ID the guy with.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My Ring works well enough. As stated not real time, there is a delay loading the video. I also bought a Spotlight/camera for the back yard. After 5 hours on the phone with Ring, I dismounted it from the wall and returned it to Costco for a refund. Rings customer service was not helpful at all.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Why did you move away from Ring?
When I bought it it was a video doorbell. Over time they added community notifications and social media like nonsense that you cannot opt out of. Also, they have partnered with police to provide access to your video. Lastly, there is a monthly fee for cloud storage of your video. So cost, privacy, and control. Plus, eufy has better resolution and motion detection. All your video is stored locally, no extra fee and no privacy concerns.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I have a Ring doorbell and like it a lot. I use iPad more than phone to monitor. You can go to live view anytime and have a recording after a very short delay. There are a lot of options in the setup, you can customize it to your needs.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have a ring doorbell and it is OK. I had to also install a doorbell transformer for it to work. At times it is useful to see when a package was dropped off.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have a Ring, but it is a Peephole camera, mounted in place of the peephole in the door. I like it since there aren’t profile views of anyone actually at the door. I can also see to the street, about 50’. It is a fisheye lens, but it’s better than opening the door to see what’s going on in the road. Like others here I find some delay, and I too know it’s not my internet connection either.
Since the video goes out to Ring, and then downloads back to your device, it’s no wonder there’s a delay.

My 2¢

Ed

·
Georgia gal
1,142 Posts
I don't have a Ring doorbell but I have two Ring stick-up (battery powered) cameras that I like, but I don't answer my door through them. I'm not sure if the Ring doorbell works exactly the same, but I think they are similar. As has been mentioned there can be a small delay in uploading and accessing the video, so for that reason I'm not sure how well it would work for immediately answering a doorbell. It would let her know that a package had been left and any other motion that was detected. You can also do a live view at any time.

The notification of motion detection is very fast. It's just the video upload that sometimes has a short delay. The other night I had a coyote in my driveway again and the notification was very fast. But by the time I went to the real time video, he had gone. However, the video had recorded him immediately and I can view that at any time. I just had to wait a minute (or half-minute?) to see him, even though I instantly knew that some motion had been detected. (I hope that makes sense!)

I also have one Wyze camera, and my Rings are more dependable about detecting and notifying me of motion. Part of the difference may be the placement of the Wyze cam so I'm not knocking those. I just like my Rings better, but of course they were a little more expensive than the Wyze.

I don't do the community or social media stuff. I don't understand the comment about not being able to opt out of it. You can sign up for community event notifications, but you don't have to, and even if you did you don't have to post or share anything of your own. As for Ring working with police, if that's true I'm fine with that. I'd also rather my videos be stored in the cloud than in the camera, because the camera could be stolen and the video would be gone with it if it's stored inside the camera. Some systems store data inside your home, but I think they are more complicated and expensive. I am not a techie so take anything I say with that in mind.

Bottom line, I like mine, but because of the short delay (which varies) I'm not sure how well they would consistently work for answering the door. Maybe the doorbells work a little differently?

Regardless, it seems that some type of camera system would be helpful to her in several ways plus provide some needed security. Good luck with helping her find something that works for her needs.

Edit to add: I have the Ring apps and can check my cameras on my iPhone, my Mac Air laptop (which I'm on now), and on my Fire tablet. I don't have an iPad. They also work with Alexa by adding them under devices in the Alexa apps.

·
Authorized User
710 Posts
Ring should not be used if motion detection, recording and playback are critical. I have Ring setups at different locations. Each exhibit inconsistent motion detection and are always slow to playback video after an alert. And their tech support is a person that only knows what their script says.

·
Registered
17,884 Posts
I have a Ring doorbell and a Ring Stick Up Cam. Both work flawlessly, the footage is available on the cloud for a reasonable monthly fee. No need to worry about the crook just taking the footage with him. The only issue I have at times revolves around the slow upload speed of my home internet if both cameras are tripped and recording together.

I also have the Ring security system and the app it great because it combines the security and the cameras together in one easy to use platform.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts