Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
129,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure to be a sensitive topic for some, but I’ll preface this by stating that I live in a populated suburban neighborhood and I don’t have the option of going out on my back porch and shooting a groundhog or even plinking at aluminum cans. I do find plinking like that mildly fun when I’ve had the chance to do so, but would still much rather use a centerfire.

That being said, I’ve tried like hell to enjoy rimfire pistols and revolvers. I’ve owned nearly all the best models made past and present at one time or another. The bottom line is they don’t do it for me. I feel next to no satisfaction in shooting them, especially at paper. There’s no loud sound, little to no target reaction (at least compared to a centerfire), and very few cool handguns (in my opinion).

I’ll admit to being spoiled on the centerfire handguns I own and the rimfire offerings these days don’t come close to comparing in quality or accuracy.

I don’t even shoot rimfire long guns much. I have a 10/22 that probably hasn’t been shot in over five years.

Anyone else feel this way for one reason or another?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
to each they're own.......

i shoot a lot of 22 LR, have more 22 LR firearms than any other single caliber (well, maybe not 357 Mag) and am always on the look out for good 22 LR ammo on sale, I buy it by the case.

handgun accuracy is a perishable skill, you need frequent repetitions to maintain the mussel memory of the sight alignment and trigger pull. if you look at "getin' trigger time" from a purely economical perspective. I can buy 4 cases of 22 LR ammo for the price of 1 case of 9mm ammo.

I reload but often shoot at an indoor range which makes it impossible to recover your reloadable brass, no worries, take a 22, you ain't gotta recover any brass.

that same range has a basic membership for just under $20.00 a mouth with Vet discount, you can shoot as long as you want, Monday thru Thursday, I work weekends so I go 1-2 times a week and shoot 200 rounds each outing, easily a 1000 rounds a month.

like I said earlier, I have several 22 LR firearms, the two that have been getting the most use lately are a Glock 44 for basic combat drills and a S&W 41 for precision target practice.

the only practice I don't get is recoil management, but a couple mags of less expensive foreign 124 FMJ NATO spec ammo in step brass (which I don't reload) gets me plenty of after shot recover practice.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Shoot what makes you happy. For me, rimfire is fun. But then I shoot outdoors and plink as I wish. At a range where you strictly shooting paper, probably wouldn’t be as fun. Not sure where you shoot but that could be a factor. No matter, enjoy your center fire anytime you can.
I think the challenge is many of us don't have access to somewhere outdoors we can plink. On the range a lot of guns get boring.

Having said that, I like .22.

·
Registered
14,655 Posts
If rimfires bore you. then maybe you just don't have the right rimfire.
Luggage and bags Bag Material property Petal Bumper

A Christmas present I gave my wife last year.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts