GlockTalk Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1103 Posts

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Well then it's not as good for defensive purposes. And the isn't much need to suppress 22 LR in terms of ear protection, and subsonic ammo is even lower velocity to begin with.

Cool gun, though.
If Giuseppe had no problem sending Jimmy the Parrot to swim with the fishes with a single .22 shot to the head, I'm not entirely sold on the idea that the .22 isn't capable of incapacitating or completely neutralizing a threat. If we can keep 10 rounds well within a 6" target at the typical armed encounter distance, we should be able to keep 10 rounds inside a 6" wide head ;)

A 6" barrel length is just about as long as you can go and still remain subsonic using typical standard velocity ammo, so I have no need for slower moving ammo.

Firing .22's indoors can still be loud, and even though I'm not particulary sensitive to loud noise having been a welder/fabricator for most of my life, using a suppressor indoors just makes sense.

And thanks, it did turn out to be a pretty cool gun :)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,084
Something about this has undoubtedly already been posted a few times on this thread... But given the length/longevity of the thread, thought it worth posting again. :)

Perhaps (probably) the most famous and legendary use of a .22 for the cause of goodness was by Israeli sky marshal Mordechai Rachamim, who used his issue Beretta 70 .22 pistol in 1969 to take on four Arab terrorists armed with AKs. The ballsy Rachamim killed one of the terrorists with the Beretta, and held the others at bay until Swiss police were able to arrive at the scene to apprehend them.

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/

That agent had nerves of steel to be frank.

·
NRA Member
3,233 Posts
You have a nice little range set up there. What state ?
Exactly. My wife isn't a shooter but I have a range on my hunting property and we're building a house there so have been spending a lot of time there. Pretty much have switched to shooting 22s to save the CF ammo. With just a little practice my wife has gotten pretty good shooting and knocking over steel plates. She can quickly dump a mag load of 22s center mass on the steel silhouettes easily. No one could withstand that firestorm. Not quite as fast with her 380 but good enough and getting better.

[/QUOTE

·
Huge Member
10,939 Posts
Reactions: sdsnet

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,154 Posts
Due to a shoulder injury (I'll find out next week if it's the dreaded Rotator cuff) I have had to make some changes.
How about a pistol caliber carbine?
In 9mm, 38, 357 there is no recoil.

Reactions: TheDreadnought

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I have a .32 and .44 rimfire, but I never considered them for home defense. Just having to fire one round of either in defense would be robbery in itself.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have a RIA XTM-22 and since it is a rimfire !! I would use it for home defense if that's what was closest to my hand . But then 15 rounds of 40gr 22mag at 1300 fps + from 4.7" barrel should take care of most any problem as quickly as it can be fired . More accurate than most 1911's too .

Photo borrowed from CMG in a tread a couple years back but same pistol

·
In The Saddle
7,114 Posts
I am looking at the Ruger Wrangler right now. Test reports etc.

The Ruger Wrangler is an excellent shooter and @ $160-ish, Made a great shooter for my little grandson/and me too.. Like all Ruger revolvers.

CM
:horse:

IMG_3212.jpg

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Ruger Wrangler, single action, too much work for only 6 rounds, too heavy. Unless you play Halloween cowboy dress-up for SASS events....WHY? This antiquated design is obsolete.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
The Beretta M-70 style of pistol is just a amazing and quality piece. I’m gonna YouTube it right now.
I had a very nice example of one of those. Sold it.

We all make mistakes.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
.22 would not be my first choice. But, if I had one of these, I'd hardly feel unarmed.
American-180-2.jpg

Of course, the standard factory mag holds only a measly 177 rounds. You want to go for the five-tier 270 or 295 round or whatever it holds, aftermarket mag. At 1200/rpm they both go pretty quick.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
I have not read all this long thread, but if .22 is what you have and what you can shoot, use it.
Most bad guys aren't going to stick around if shots are fired. It's better than nothing but far from ideal.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
I have not read all this long thread, but if .22 is what you have and what you can shoot, use it.
Most bad guys aren't going to stick around if shots are fired. It's better than nothing but far from ideal.
Agreed, and most bad guys aren't going to be able to sit there and say 'Gee, that sounds like a .32, no maybe it's a .380 or 9mm...'

All the hear is BANG BANG BANG and they're jumping out the nearest window, even if it's a .22LR, which sounds amazingly loud indoors.

1081 - 1100 of 1103 Posts