Rifles That Will Shoot Anything

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Taterhead, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Any of you have that one rifle that you can grab and know it will shoot just about anything? I'm talking about an off the rack rig that seems like it can group just about anything?

For me it is a 1970s 700 BDL heavy barrel in 25-06. Stock.

I re-installed a scope, re-zeroed then casually shot this 3 shot group bench and bi-pod. Pretty typical of what it can do. Even with inexpensive Speer SPBT 120 grain bullets, like in this example.

Anyone else have a trusty sweetheart in the quiver that will group all the reloads you feed it (not asking about your Accuracy Intermational custom rigs, but your common everyday stuff you could get at the LGS).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

"Trusty" resonates. Expectations depend on a realistic appraisal of a particular rifle's ability. To know if a rifle is "trusty" you have to know what it really does. Folks think 3 shot groups tell them something. POI, maybe. 10 shots tells me something, or starts to. Starts to build "trust". One shot groups shot on different occasions also tells me something and builds "trust".

What I value more than gilt-edged accuracy (probably cuz I'm old) is consistent accuracy. Groups and bankable POI. Couple of mine. A 1934 Win M-54 '06. It's pretty worn, barrel has some pits, but has never thrown 5 into less than 2.5" at 100. As in 147-150 gr pulls on top of whatever surplus ball powder I happen to want to get rid of. With anything I make up in earnest, will put 10 or more inside 2". Not much POI shift, either. Eg #2 a Ruger Guide .375. Everything goes into 2" at 100 yds, for 10 I mean. Minimal POI differences between 235s and 300s. Not enough to worry about if I grabbed the "wrong" (as if you can have bullet failure on deer at 3/8" bore diam) box.

It's not that I don't value "gilt-edged". We used a 40XKSS in Swift for chucks till bore went south. Until then it never made a 5 shot group over 0.5" no matter what it was fed. 0.25 to 0.35 was more like it. But the plain truth is most people neither need - nor are able to detect - 1/2 MOA accuracy in the "big" game field. I know there are some that can use it, and mean no offense to them. They know who they are. The longest shot I'll ever take at a deer or moose - for the rest of my years - is about 250 yds. Bankable 2 MOA bankable 24/7/365 is plenty good.

Taterhead likes this.

3. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Early German Weatherby Mk V with a Krieger bbl in .270 Wby. Easily the most accurate rifle I own...makes me look like I know what I’m doing.

Taterhead and FullClip like this.
  4. rogn

rogn real dogs

I have a Mossy ATR in 308. After resolving a few teething problems has evolved into the grab and go rifle. Shoots exceedingly well. The other is a Howa 375 Ruger that tends to stack almost any bullet in same hole-except cast bullets, Cast bullets go to a different place. I dont use this one every day.

Taterhead likes this.
  5. jmaj

jmaj

Remington 700 Varmint in 22-250. Admittedly, that's a cartridge that's a no brainer for cooking up an accuracy load.
    I just put a 50-55 gr bullet on top of 38 gr of H-380 and subminute groups happen. IMR 4064 works great too except I'm lazy and don't want to trickle a stick powder.

Taterhead likes this.
  6. jmorris

jmorris

I’d say my old Walther .22 bolt action single shot as far as there being many options to feed it and across the board it performs better than other but if we count “anything” being something obscure where there is very little to choose from and it happens to shoot them good, I could add a few more.

Taterhead likes this.
  7. srjdsmith

srjdsmith

I just read a post from a guy in my 350 Legend group who was marveling that his rifle would group with any 350L ammo he tried- factory or reloads. He made the point that most rifles have a preferred load and finding it was key. But his rifle, he said, seemed to digest anything he shot through it, usually putting bullets through the same holes as the previous ammo he tried. His pics showed holes in stickers where he had previously healed a target.

My 350L AR is similar, but feeding is an issue. Once chambered, all different ammo shoots well, but it doesn’t like bullets with square noses. I have some feed ramp polishing to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Taterhead likes this.
  8. fredj338

fredj338

Most of my rigs are wildcats or nearly so. My precision rifle is a 260ai built on a m700. I dont think any load I ever put thru it shot much over 1moa, most well under & best loads in the 1/3moa. I also have finicky rifles that only like 2-3 diff loads.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    George Kaplan, 10or45 and Taterhead like this.
  9. Neldon

Neldon Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!

For me, that one rifle has to be my 1971 Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. Never fed it anything but off the shelf factory, so don't know if that qualifies, but that rifle does shoot.
    Now, it's just an adornment and only comes down once a year for it's annual beauty treatment.

Valmet and Taterhead like this.
  10. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

It's striking how much better the fit and finish of the 1970s Rem 700s were compared to the current stock. I bought a new one circa 2017. Night and day difference.

Valmet and Neldon like this.
  11. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Interesting cartridge. Like a longer 6.5 CM? What's the barrel length and typical external ballistics?

12. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

This is a great point! And often the reason to have a rifle in the first place.

13. 10or45

10or45 NRA Benefactor Life Member

I've got a Savage 10 .308 that shoots most anything under 1moa. My handloads half that. 1 in 10 24 inch crowned 5R bull barrel with a very short leade and tight chamber. The bolt head pivots or (floats) so less than perfect brass chambers square. If I load short so my bullets jump .035 it still shoots groups. It is my go to range rifle.

Taterhead likes this.
  14. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

That's the second 308 to show up here. Not surprised.

10or45 likes this.
  15. collim1

collim1

My Rock River 20” with NM iron sights.

It shoots anything I try in it. I haven’t found a load yet that I would consider unacceptable accuracy. Even my dirt cheap 2400 FPS factory seconds 55g FMJ loads I plink with shoot surprisingly well.

Not a gun I shoot reloads out of.....but my Savage MKII heavy barrel .22LR shoots anything into a ragged hole at 50 yards, even cheap bulk packs. I bet I have shot dozens of different loads through it and it shoots them all well.

I have the opposite problem with my Rem 700 in .270

It’s accuracy with factory ammo is mediocre at best, and even my best efforts to work up a hand load for it haven’t been very successful. It’s just a 2.5 moa gun with most of what I’ve tried in it.

Taterhead likes this.
  16. fredj338

fredj338

Sort of. Its just a 260 with blown out shoulder. An easy wildcat to make, just shoot factory 260 in it. It runs a 26" 1-7 moderately hvy bbl. It was set up for 142gr SMK running 2800fps but shoots everything well.

George Kaplan and Taterhead like this.
  17. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Most quality rifles will shoot anything well. Just shoots some loads better than others, but even on a bad day, 1 MOA or slightly more will get the job done.

Neldon likes this.
  18. wyosam

wyosam

I’ve got a cabelas special Savage 12 .223 that has been consistently sub moa with whatever I put through it. When developing loads, I find that I have to shoot groups at 300 to really tell which are better. Other than lightening the trigger and putting it in a Boyds stock, it is unchanged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taterhead likes this.