Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty interesting post from YHM. You've probably heard that a rifle suppressor is self cleaning. I've repeated that line before. Good luck to whoever had the task of cleaning this up.

upload_2020-4-30_22-29-35.png

qj3S1aKA.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
That is pretty scary looking! Two immediate thoughts... how was it actually performing with all that crud (if you put a decibel meter to it and compared to a clean one), and what happens if crud breaks loose and causes a baffle strike? I don't know enough about suppressors to know if that does actually happen, but seeing all that crud and knowing the force of a shot, it does seem possible it could be dislodged and end up in the path of a bullet trying to go through.

Yikes! Amazing to see!

Reactions: B C

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is pretty scary looking! Two immediate thoughts... how was it actually performing with all that crud (if you put a decibel meter to it and compared to a clean one), and what happens if crud breaks loose and causes a baffle strike? I don't know enough about suppressors to know if that does actually happen, but seeing all that crud and knowing the force of a shot, it does seem possible it could be dislodged and end up in the path of a bullet trying to go through.

Yikes! Amazing to see!
Yeah, I'd love to see a db read on what it's putting out now versus a new can. I'm sure it's a significant difference. If you get a baffle strike the company will repair it, unless the s/n is damaged beyond repair. Most cans are now putting the s/n closer to the muzzle, since a failure is most likely to happen toward the end of the can.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
It would be so simple to design a rim fire can with a paper insert (like in an oil filter). Dirty? Toss it out (sorta... ).

just a thought.

·
Registered
14,712 Posts
It would be so simple to design a rim fire can with a paper insert (like in an oil filter). Dirty? Toss it out (sorta... ).

just a thought.
The ATF doesn't like that kind of thing. Replacing suppressor parts is a no-no.
I think suppressor companies aren't even allowed to sell wipes anymore. They will send a punch so customers can make their own.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
The ATF doesn't like that kind of thing. Replacing suppressor parts is a no-no.
I think suppressor companies aren't even allowed to sell wipes anymore. They will send a punch so customers can make their own.
Yeah. I know. That's why I added; "Just a thought." !!!

Still, the idea appeals to me.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
We have Finnish made ASE Utra suppressors on our M4 rifles on the training range at work.

They are weighed when we get them, then when they weigh a certain amount more than new (can't remember the numbers), they are replaced and destroyed.

Reactions: TGT
1 - 13 of 13 Posts