close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rifle suggestions for taking care of rats and stray cats

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Benj, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Benj

Benj

Would you guys suggest a 22LR or air rifle to take care of pesky rats and cats? My main concern would be the noise, since I haven't heard a 22LR being shot yet, I don't exactly want the neighbors to hear shots going off at night hehe

2. the_shadow_lord

the_shadow_lord

22 lr all the way i have shot cats, mice and birds with air rifels and 22's and the 22 would be youre best bet , a good bolt gun can handle shorts , longs and lr , plus cb's (very little noise). i used shorts in mine mainly during the daytime( more people ouy and about so more noise to hide the shot report)and cb's at night

3. MELBU

MELBU Ann2Tero

We have the same problem.
    The Maid of our neighbor started feeding stray cats and there are
    now more or less 2 dozen stray cats on our street. Our dogs are
    always barking coz of those pesky useless stray cats, specially
    when they are mating (We have 4 dogs as our alarm against burglars).

I shot 5 stray cats already, but still their numbers
    kept growing. Maybe I should shoot the Maid to put a stop to the
    growing population of stray cats in our area (hehehe just kidding).

Heres a tip, shoot them during the daytime.

At night time, put SARDINES WITH POISON on top of your roof or
    on the street (be careful as your pet dog might eat it).

4. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Melbu, what's the rationale behind shooting them in the daytime instead of at night? Is it because it's easier to see your rifle sights in the morning/afternoon, or are the cats less on guard during the day?

5. nrmcolt

nrmcolt What?

This one goes off with a pfffftt, but with a loud THUD! on the receiving end:supergrin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

;c

6. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

In that case, shoot the neighbors maid instead.;f

7. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

for cats, may i suggest trying not to feed them first, even through your garbage, and they might eventually go away themselves without the need to hurt them. i heard there is a group that catches stray dogs, i'm guessing they'll do the same for cats.

as for rats, KILL THEM ALL! i use a .22 snub revolver. HOWEVER there are a lot of things to consider. for one thing, we are between a vacant lot and a vacant house. it's a no-go if the floor is wooden. i shoot only if the rat is on the floor, to prevent stray bullets. safety safety safety.

oh BTW, sometimes it takes 3 bullets to put a huge rat down :)

8. Benj

Benj

We don't feed them, can't say the same about our neighbors though. The problem is most houses in our village don't seem to have the decency to properly stow away their garbage. The issue was brought up already in several association meetings pero wala parin. So the cats claw through all the garbage bags they can find, leaving quite a mess when morning comes.

Stray bullets and ricocheting are also a problem for me. Most probably I'll be shooting the cats from our veranda overlooking the empty lot, that's why I'm considering the air rifle as well.

Keep the inputs coming! :)

9. i_am_infinity

i_am_infinity Pang Altar

10. isuzu

isuzu

I don't know if hardwares or home improvement sell a device that you just plug in and leave it outside your house. It sends a sound that the human ear does not hear, but very irritating to the cat. That makes them leave the area.

It's better than using a .22 lr rifle in an urban area and risk getting somebody hit by stray bullets.

11. isuzu

isuzu

That explains why my neighbor's brother-in-law killed a perp who tried to rob his money-lending firm with just one shot of CCI Stinger from a Beretta .22 to the chest.

According to the brother-in-law, the perp stiffened and spun around like crazy after getting hit by the bullet. He was instantly incapacitated and died about half an hour later in the hospital.

Others say he succeeded, but IMHO, he failed and was just saved by luck. Had the .45 ACP-toting perp not been incapacitated, my friend's brother-in-law could have been killed if the perp was able to retaliate.

He had all the chance to shoot the perp two or more times for effective incapacitation as the distance was just about three feet.

12. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Here is the quietest way to legally kill small animals.

http://www.airgundepot.com/tech-force-chinese-pellet-gun-99-mag-with-scope-22.html

It's very quiet, velocity is about 900 feet per second, shoots .22 cal pellets, comes with a scope and is well reviewed by people who own one.

It's next on my list.

(It'd be first buy I found out about it after I ordered a custom made airgun for the same price, $200 plus or minus, a few bucks.)

It's not for everyone, but it's for me!

Jim

13. Photocop

Photocop

Benj:

I have shot squirrels, rats, and cats with both .22's and air rifles and I have had much better luck with the .22's. My weapon of choice these days has been a Remington Apache 77 .22 rifle. It is extremely light, fairly cheap, and accurate enough for my purposes. I load it with the readily available and popular, Remington .22 Sub-sonic ammo (green box with yellow lettering) to keep noise to a minimum. In rifle-length barrels, these bullets sound like a cap gun going off and it is quiet enough that I actually hear the lead hitting my varmint targets. Just a pointer: longer barrels always quiet bullet noise better than short ones. Therefore I never recommend short barreled rifles or handguns for these purposes.

If I'm feeling especially cautious about the noise, I simply crack a door or window open a few inches--just enough to allow safe passage of the bullet--and shoot from inside the house and a few feet back from the window. Almost all of the noise is contained within the house and from outside it sounds like a very quiet "thwap!" that most would not identify as a gunshot. I don't know if you'd have this luxury in your particular case, but if you do, it's an almost undetectable way to rid your area of Islamo-fascist, Al Qaida-trained rats, cats, and squirrels.

In my experience, air rifles are not as reliably accurate and any benefit of quietness is lost due to less accuracy and less stopping power. In order for the pellets to have sufficient killing power, they generally have to pump up the velocities to a degree that they are no longer sub-sonic and they make a loud, sonic crack when fired anyway. Someone here might have conflicting info and if there is someone with more knowledge about this than me, I'm completely open to other ideas. But the .22 has been working very well for me and the piles of squirrel carcasses that I have growing in my compost pile are "living" proof. :) I would also recommend head shots for cats as they can demonstrate a great capacity to eat lead at times. Personally, any cats I shoot are nasty, disease-ridden, ferile strays so if I happen to gut shoot a few and they don't die right away, I don't feel any particular sympathy about knowing it wasn't a "clean" kill. I just don't want the bleeding bastards roaming around the neighborhood scaring any little kids.

14. i_am_infinity

i_am_infinity Pang Altar

I think the Stinger is THE best load for a 22lr pocket pistol...

15. RATRAT

RATRAT

Call the son of a famous senator,hes using an ar-15 with laser and scope to hunt vermins and cats...kasi sila kahit mahuli di nakukulong:) :) ;f ;f ;z ;z

----------------------
    "Be afraid of no man,
    No matter what size.
    When trouble threatens, call on me,
    For I shall equalize”– Glock 17

16. MELBU

MELBU Ann2Tero

Just to hide the sound of the gunshot. It's so quiet at night
    your neighbors might hear it.

And its safer to shoot during the day coz you can clearly see where
    your target is. Nihgtime is risky, you might hit an innocent civilian.

17. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

I suggest we Filipinos re-read the terms and conditions of our firearm licenses,
    especially those of us living in an urban context.
    Look up the definition and penalties for illegal discharge of our firearms.

If some of you still think discharge of your firearms for 'pest control'
    is covered by your licenses, then go ahead.

18. mikol

mikol

+1 :) fish mga brother!

19. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

if you want to kill them, a .22cal air rifle will do fine.

if you want to have fun, use an airsoft rifle and blast away:)

20. MELBU

MELBU Ann2Tero

Two ways
    [​IMG]
    sardines with poison

or

The Pest killah!
    [​IMG]

Either or, parehong masarap.

Woohoo!!!