close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Riding gears is detrimental to safe riding?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Aug 14, 2006.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

OK, just for the sake of discussion here, I'd like to see what you guys think about the wear of riding gears is detrimental to safe riding?

Before everybody thinks how ridiculous my above statement is, let's just hear me out and tell me what you think.

First of all, there's no argument; at least not from knowledgeable riders instead of lifestylists and poseurs, that gears work. Hell, I testify to that theory twice already this year. Riding gears help to a great degree in mitigating one's injuries in an accident. Not 100% injury-proof but sure beats a sharp stick in the eyes. And usually the better quality of the gears, the better the chances of the downed rider coming out in one piece.

However, let's take a look at the other side of the road. If a rider were to ride gearless, chances are that rider may not ride as spirited or aggressively hence reducing the chance of going down? And since that we only need gears when we go down, if our chances of going down increase by the lack of gears wearing, then wouldn't that be better?

2. g29andy

g29andy CLM

I'll bite.

Cagers don't care whether you gear up or not. That's enough info for me.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

Dress for the fall, not the ride.

4. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

I agree with the fact that better gear will instill confidence. But I do not think that riding with less confidence will lower ones chance of being in a wreck. In fact it may make it worse. Confidence helps you as when things do go wrong you do not freeze or you may have been in that situation before becaus of the more "agressive" riding and already know how to handle the situation.

As a newbie to quads when I got my Raptor 660, all I had was a helmet and gloves. I gradually got most of the good riding gear (boots, chest protector, googles, etc.) I noticed that with the new gear I was a bit more confident (but still pretty reserved as I was still a newbie). That confidence let me push myself harder in situations where I thought my riding skill was up to the task. I, however, am still not a fan of hill climbing as I had one "go over backwards" experience that I did not like. Luckily I had my gear on and walked away unscathed (that chest/back protector worked like a charm).

Basically, you need the mindset that you WILL wreck at some point. You must prepare for that ocassion.

edited to add: IMO riding gear on a bike is like wearing a seatbelt in a car or a carry a gun. You do not go out expecting to use and most people wish they do not have to use it, but when you do need it, you will be glad you geared up/buckled up/packed.

5. nu2carry

nu2carry

FN, I have been riding motorcycles for 40 years have just past over 127,000 miles on street bikes and I am old school…I rode dirt for 5 years and got banged up a few times but wore appropriate gear for dirt and minimized injuries…

For street riding I wear a pair of double palmed work gloves and a helmet and good boots but that is it…I have had a few close calls with cagers but have almost a sixth sense about what and how some are going to do, with the exception of a drunk that came over the line and into my lane while I was riding…

I currently ride a HD Sportster (04) that has been heavily modified but it is still an HD and not a performance bike like you run…I think if I were younger and had the machines that are available today I would gear up to the max! I have ridden a few really fun bikes, Ducati’s, Honda CBR 1100, a couple of Kaw Ninja’s and they demand a lot more from the rider than the big cruisers and Sporty’s I have racked up my miles on, so riding is not the demanding sport on me that it is for you…Now some of the planes I have flown have really put the A in adrenaline for me but no amount of gear is going to safe your bacon if you go down in a performance bird…

I do like tight turns, fast acceleration and challenging riding but I know my bikes limitations and pick my battles carefully…

6. PBCounty

PBCounty

After getting my helmet caught on my chest protector, I never wore one of those again. It locked my head at a full "look over the shoulder" direction.

But I don't think that's what you're talking about.

People who are inclined to ride like an idiot will do so, gear or not.

7. 2cats

2cats Millennium Member

I think you've come up with another great rationalization for your recent accidents.

8. TriggerRider

TriggerRider Premium Man

...........ditto............

9. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

Condoms aren't detrimental to safe sex.

When I wear a condom I ride just as spirited as I would without one.

Same thing goes for the seat belt in cars. Not wearing a seat belt doesn't mean those drivers don't drive as aggressive.

10. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

Haha, that sucks! Must have been a really interesting moment when you realized what had happened.

11. PBCounty

PBCounty

Yeah, it was fun stopping the bike. Even after I got stopped it took me nearly a minute to get "un-hooked."

It's amazing how much your body wants to lean in the direction you are facing.

And as far as the topic goes, when I start to get a little stupid I always think about what it's going to feel like to hit the ground. I imagine it all, down to that metallic taste you get in your mouth when you hit. (what causes that anyway?) It always slows me down. The less gear - the more I think about that.

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Yeah, I'm blaming my gears for my downfall. I also blame my bikes too because they're "too fast".:upeyes:

I posted this thread because plenty of the no-helmet crowds claim that the wear of helmets is detrimental to their riding skills (i.e. they can't hear, they can't see, they can't "feel" the surroundings).

13. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

That part is true. They get to "feel" the pavement with their face. I for one do not wish to do that. :supergrin:

Oh you forgot the stupid "peripheral vision" argument. I have yet to wear a full face helmet where I could see where the visor stopped.

14. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Wearing all my gear gives me confidence. I figure, if I go down, I should be better off wearing my gear than not. That isn't to say I press my luck and ride stupid. I ride smart, but have confidence that if I hit the pavement, I have some decent protection from injury. That puts me in a calm state of mind when I ride. I took a short beer run (sober; I ran to get a 6-pk and then started drinking) with only a hoodie and a helmet and was nervous the whole way.

15. nu2carry

nu2carry

The matallic taste is blood, hopefully not from biting your tongue off from impacting the ground...

16. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

ok, i am not arguing here at all...:cool: just stating a fact that most do not agree with, and thats ok, because it is America right and thats why we live here...
    I do not ride with any protective gear at all, save boots ( not offical harley or any kind of motorcycle boots mind you, but my wolverine work boots) they are nothing special, no steel toe, no nothing. this is how i have riden sence day one sept a helment when i was younger and while in MO you had to wear a helment..
    I ride a lot.. to so, not so much to others,, bout 14k a year on a custom softail with a 120hp v-twin, not a rocket, not a "twisty machine" but it runs good..
    I have went down on the street 2 times, both times were almost identical, both times were on a 650 yahmaha special, but the bike dont matter, because i was riding it to it's extreeme or anything, just turning on wet roads (maybe the front tire needed replaced, maybe i hit a slick spot) and the front tire washes out.. bike falls to the left, it seems like slow motion, i am able to put pressure on my right hand and foot, get my left foot out from between the falling bike and road before it hits and "surf" it to the shoulder where the bike slows real fast and i dont.. 1st time i went down a hill (wet grass) no issues, no bruses no nothing about 60 mph
    2nd time was road then grass both wet this time about 70 mph and i was wearing blue jeans and windbreaker (cold, like 40 outside) and it tore both the jeans and windbreaker up, esp in the knees and elbows, got a little scraps on knees and elbows, that it, never het my helment either time.
    got sideswiped by a car doing 40 on a yamaha 750 special and threw me 30 feet, hit my helment thit time, but very little.. broke a vertibre in my back (didnt know it right away) and broke left foot pretty bad... road the bike home cause i was afraid if i didnt i would never ride another one..
    i have had falls, I know i have been lucky.. but i ride defencively, i dont ride recklessly and i dont push my bike to it's limit any more,, i enjoy the ride, the smells, the air in my face, i dont want to miss anything by riding 80 mph down the hwy when i can take " the long way" local roads or back roads and see things and go places i have never been..
    I know some people will not agree with this and that is ok, it is what makes everyone different..
    wether you agree or not, be well
    ride safe, ride hard, ride often

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm with you, Wolfy. We're all adults and we should make decisions that we see fit for ourselves, especially when it affects no others.

18. VWglocker

VWglocker

i think that is one of the dumbest things i have ever read. you have been down and still don't wear gear? but i also realize you are an adult and you have every right to do as you please. i think its dumb, but it doesn't bother me one bit.

19. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

I feel like I'm living dangerously by wearing a Nolan "jet" style helmet (3/4 with the full face visor) instead of my full face around town. I have to disagree a little with Epsylum's dismissal of the peripheral vision argument.

I agree when you are looking forward, vision is not impacted. But when cutting your eyes sideways all the way to their bump stops, like in a lane check over your shoulder, I notice it. I even tested it out in my living room. Body rigid forward, turn head only to see the limits of my vision. Without a doubt I could see a little further without the helmet on. But not much.

I don't find that I ride any differently whether I'm wearing race gloves, aerostich suit and full face helmet or jeans, mesh jacket and 3/4. But if I didn't wear ANY protective gear, I might ride more like a granny. Probably not though, you get used to risk, and it starts to seem like it isn't even a risk any more. Then you fall and get a boo-boo.

20. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

I can see your point about the rider being a little bit more careful, and it may be true indeed that the chance of going down is reduced. However, "reduced" does not equal "eliminated".

A lot of moto accidents caused by elements other than the rider (e.g. a car turning left in front of you). Those accidents may or may not be avoided if a rider is not riding aggressively. Big Ben was going what -- 35mph? -- when he had his accident? 35mph is not really a big deal and he ended up losing a lot of teeth.

It is an interesting question, for sure. You'd think that if the amount of gear and careful riding were inversely related, then you wouldn't see squids in t-shirt, flip-flops and shorts riding at 80mph down I95 around here.